Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-29-2011   #1
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 614 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default I guess Kubiak isn't happy with our WR's??

Saw this on twitter and if someone already posted this please move it mods.

@B_Johnson80
Bryant Johnson

#HelloGoodMorning. At the airport (ATL) headed to Houston for a workout with the Texans

Bryant Johnson - WR

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/..._ZUceUw5z.uLYF
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011   #2
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: I guess Kubiak isn't happy with our WR's??

Could make a servicable 4th WR, since nobody seems to be stepping up and taking the job during the pre-season.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011   #3
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Is it just me, or is anyone else still trying to figure out why we re-signed Jacoby? He's about as unreliable as you can get imo. I understand there have been some tough throws his way, but the WR is a skill position. Skill positions are supposed to make plays. His tiny stone hands aren't going to cut it. I know it's difficult to find things to ***** about offensively, but it drives me nuts watching him drop ball after ball

I don't blame them for bringing players in. Imo, we need improvement from the #3-5.
Old 08-29-2011   #4
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 85708 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Hou-Tex,

IMO, one of the most important attributes that Kubiak wants in his receivers is knowledge of the system. This offense relies heavily on reads, and it is important for the WR to see the same defense, make the correct read, and run the route that the QB expects him to run. Many, if not most routes we run have options based on reads made at the line of scrimmage. That, to me, is the number one reason that Kubiak wants continuity on offense, and also why our young receivers have a hard time getting on the field.
Kubiak has to really trust a receivers knowledge of the system before he gets much playing time.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011   #5
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77990 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe he can get his #80 here.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011   #6
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Is it just me, or is anyone else still trying to figure out why we re-signed Jacoby? He's about as unreliable as you can get imo. I understand there have been some tough throws his way, but the WR is a skill position. Skill positions are supposed to make plays. His tiny stone hands aren't going to cut it. I know it's difficult to find things to ***** about offensively, but it drives me nuts watching him drop ball after ball

I don't blame them for bringing players in. Imo, we need improvement from the #3-5.
Yes, JJ's hands are a bit questionable; but there is one thing he does for this offense; he stretched the field vertically. Even if there is a chance of him dropping the pass, CBs have to stay with JJ when he goes deep opening things up for AJ, OD and Foster underneath.

Just becasue JJ is the #3 WR does not mean he is the third pass catching option. And the 4th WR is even further down the list.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011   #7
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 64065 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
Maybe he can get his #80 here.
I remember that whole thing with Jerry Rice when he went to SF.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-29-2011   #8
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Probably a sign that the UDFAs aren't impressing in practice/games like they were hoping.
Old 08-29-2011   #9
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Who the heck is Bryant Johnson??
Old 08-29-2011   #10
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Who the heck is Bryant Johnson??
Bryant Johnson
Old 08-29-2011   #11
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Hopefully they sign one of the Packers WR's when they get cut. They are very deep at WR. West and Gurley are massive upgrades over any WR on the Texans not named AJ. They are also upgrades on ST's.

Bryant Johnson stinks
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011   #12
XI CMURDER IX
Gig 'em

Rep Power: 1517 XI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respected

He was a decent receiver in his days a San Fran and Detroit. Just needs a quarterback and maybe he can be a 4th on the depth chart. Could play outside on some downs.
XI CMURDER IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011   #13
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Ok, so what the hell happened to LeStar Jean?
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011   #14
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Or Dorian Dickerson?

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011   #15
XI CMURDER IX
Gig 'em

Rep Power: 1517 XI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Injury bug struck again. I think they are going to try to stash him on the practice squad.
XI CMURDER IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011   #16
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Or Dorin Dickerson?
I thought Dickerson had the 4th position locked down in the final 53.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011   #17
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I thought Dickerson had the 4th position locked down in the final 53.
Good then. I have high hopes that this guy will be a starter someday, and do real well for us.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011   #18
sandman
Veteran

Rep Power: 36157 sandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Hopefully they sign one of the Packers WR's when they get cut. They are very deep at WR. West and Gurley are massive upgrades over any WR on the Texans not named AJ. They are also upgrades on ST's.

Bryant Johnson stinks
West, as in the WR from Fresno State that has never caught a single pass in a real NFL game?

From NFL.com:

Pick Analysis: West is a good-sized receiver with very average speed who knows how to run routes and set up defenders. He does a good job of gaining a step of separation at this level with his crisp routes and little head-and-shoulder fakes, but he will struggle at the next level. He builds to speed and does not show a big burst coming out of his break and won't be much of a threat down the seam in the NFL. He does a good job of reading coverages and finding the soft spots in zones and is a natural receiver. He can adjust to slightly off-target throws and has a wide receiving radius.

And Gurley? A rookie from South Carolina?

Pick Analysis: Gurley is a wide receiver in a tight end's body that could develop into a quality reserve at the next level. He is not exactly fast, but he is a long strider that can stretch the field down the seam. He uses his great length to make catches even when he is covered, but he does not have reliable hands. He also is a bit stiff in the hips and lacks the fluidity to get open in man coverage. Gurley is tough kid that seeks out contact as a blocker and works the middle of the field which makes him an attractive later round prospect.

Seriously, these guys would be equivalent to Dickerson and Jean on the Texans, but you presume that they would be a "massive" upgrade over Walter, who has averaged 60 catches and 750 yards over the last four seasons??
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011   #19
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it's very difficult for any of the WR's (Jean, Tolliver, Dickerson, Maehl, etc...) to distinguish themselves when they play with the #2 or #3 QB's who don't seem to throw the ball down the field. Leinart seems to be checking down to the RB quickly, this may also be the fault of the backup O-line not giving good protection.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011   #20
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman View Post
West, as in the WR from Fresno State that has never caught a single pass in a real NFL game?

From NFL.com:

Pick Analysis: West is a good-sized receiver with very average speed who knows how to run routes and set up defenders. He does a good job of gaining a step of separation at this level with his crisp routes and little head-and-shoulder fakes, but he will struggle at the next level. He builds to speed and does not show a big burst coming out of his break and won't be much of a threat down the seam in the NFL. He does a good job of reading coverages and finding the soft spots in zones and is a natural receiver. He can adjust to slightly off-target throws and has a wide receiving radius.

And Gurley? A rookie from South Carolina?

Pick Analysis: Gurley is a wide receiver in a tight end's body that could develop into a quality reserve at the next level. He is not exactly fast, but he is a long strider that can stretch the field down the seam. He uses his great length to make catches even when he is covered, but he does not have reliable hands. He also is a bit stiff in the hips and lacks the fluidity to get open in man coverage. Gurley is tough kid that seeks out contact as a blocker and works the middle of the field which makes him an attractive later round prospect.

Seriously, these guys would be equivalent to Dickerson and Jean on the Texans, but you presume that they would be a "massive" upgrade over Walter, who has averaged 60 catches and 750 yards over the last four seasons??
West didn't look slow returning a kickoff for a touchdown. Or catching a 95 yd TD. Gurley is a really good gunner on ST's.

They upgrade ST's and have shown more potential at WR than Dickerson, Maehl etc....

Do you just read scouting reports and not watch games? And no I'm not a Walter fan. He's just a bigger DA. IMHO You cant win big with KW as your @ 2 WR.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read