Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-28-2011   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 199937 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans avoid serious injuries in preseason

FWIW

Quote:
For every NFL team, the most important thing about training camp and preseason is to escape with as few injuries as possible. The Texans are no different.

A lot of players on both sides of the ball have missed a lot of practice time and preseason games. As they prepare for the last exhibition at Minnesota on Thursday, it looks as if the Texans will enter the regular season with every starter and key backup available for Indianapolis on Sept. 11. That includes running back Arian Foster, the defending NFL rushing champion who aggravated a left hamstring injury in Saturday's 30-7 victory at San Francisco.

"Everything was positive today," coach Gary Kubiak said Sunday. "It looks like we're dealing with the same thing we were dealing with at the start of camp. Hopefully, get him back on the rehab train and get him ready for opening day. Hopefully, we're fortunate, and he's going to be OK."

The Texans treated the 49ers game as if it were the regular season. The plan was to play most of the starters three quarters. Because they dominated the 49ers in the first half, Kubiak rested his starters in the second half.

Staying positive

Foster carried eight times for 38 yards and was injured on a 9-yard run. He finishes the preseason with 13 carries for 85 yards and two touchdowns.

"All indications today were very positive from a standpoint of what they're dealing with compared to what they were dealing with the first time, and Arian's very positive about it," Kubiak said. "It sounds like we're heading in the right direction."

Foster isn't the problem. Deciding who backs him up could be a problem. Derrick Ward averaged 6.3 yards per carry and scored four touchdowns in that role last season. In two preseason games, Ben Tate has carried 20 times for 147 yards and a TD.

"We're still lining up with Derrick as our two and Tate as our three, but there's going to be a lot of football played (at Minnesota)," Kubiak said. "I think they both bring something different to our team, so I could see us playing three guys on game day.

"Those things will pan out. Let's get through Thursday. I hope they're all standing and all healthy. We'll figure out that problem if we have it."

Ryans will practice

The Texans have other injuries. Inside linebacker DeMeco Ryans, who has missed the last two games because of an elbow injury, returns to practice today but won't play against Minnesota.

Nose tackle Earl Mitchell (knee) missed the San Francisco game but should be ready for Indianapolis. Strong safety Glover Quin (neck) and inside linebacker Xavier Adibi (head) are also expected to be ready for the Colts.

On offense, the backup linemen are improving. Tackle Rashad Butler (hamstring) will be ready for the Colts. Guards Antoine Caldwell and Shelley Smith, both out with ankle injuries, might take a while.

"I think we've been pretty good," Kubiak said about the injury situation "We've been hit hard at the (reserve) offensive line. That's my biggest concern. We went through the tough patch at running back, but we made our way through it. Not having an offseason (because of the lockout), I think we've held up pretty good, so keep our fingers crossed through Thursday."
link
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011   #2
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146271 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans avoid serious injuries in preseason

Now if we can get thru the regular season without significant injuries. It is time we start building depth. Very good starters at most positions and some workable backups.
Old 08-28-2011   #3
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Now if we can get thru the regular season without significant injuries. It is time we start building depth. Very good starters at most positions and some workable backups.
I think we already have that this season....there are going to be some very tough cuts in the upcoming weeks.

I would like to get our backup lineman healthy though. Saturday when the starters went out and we had to go straight to the 3rd stringers, the runnning game started to bog down and the protection was a little shotty.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011   #4
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146271 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
I think we already have that this season....there are going to be some very tough cuts in the upcoming weeks.

I would like to get our backup lineman healthy though. Saturday when the starters went out and we had to go straight to the 3rd stringers, the runnning game started to bog down and the protection was a little shotty.
We could use better back ups at corner, QB and OG. I am hopeful that will be Shelley but not known yet. I am hoping Pemberton will beat out Butler in a year or two. Love his size. Back up for Demeco? Myers? We can name names but still are unsure of many of them. WR depth? Uh, oh.
Old 08-28-2011   #5
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 25091 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What you talking bout Willis? Don't you know it's a copycat league? The way to win the Super Bowl is the Green Bay way! How many players they have on IR by the end of the season?
Old 08-28-2011   #6
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We could use better back ups at corner, QB and OG. I am hopeful that will be Shelley but not known yet. I am hoping Pemberton will beat out Butler in a year or two. Love his size. Back up for Demeco? Myers? We can name names but still are unsure of many of them. WR depth? Uh, oh.
Yeah, but every team in the league can point to at least 3 positions where they feel they need better depth. As a whole though, the quality of depth is on par with other playoff teams in this league. I like Smith and Caldwell so I like the depth at guard...they just need to get healthy.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011   #7
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Yeah, but every team in the league can point to at least 3 positions where they feel they need better depth. As a whole though, the quality of depth is on par with other playoff teams in this league. I like Smith and Caldwell so I like the depth at guard...they just need to get healthy.
Agreed but have seen little of Shelley. Caldwell was drafted for center and everyone had him beating out Myers by game 1. He can't beat out Brisiel at OG. He might be good backup if healthy but..
Old 08-28-2011   #8
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14869 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Nice Jinx Chron.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011   #9
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree, and am already looking forward to next years draft. Unfortunately new holes pop up every year so building depth takes longer than expected. I can forsee depth needed throughout the entire defense as well as the O-line and wouldn't mind an almost exclusive defensive draft like we had this year. Hopefully everyone stays healthy and we don't make more holes in the team than their already are.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read