Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-28-2011   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 120208 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Foster says he’ll be ready for week 1, calls some fantasy owners ‘sick’

Quote:
Houston Texans running back Arian Foster(notes) has a message to all those people sincerely concerned about the hamstring injury he's been suffering through during training camp. He has a separate message for those sincerely concerned about how said hamstring injury will affect their fantasy football teams.

Last year's top-rated fantasy back Tweeted a message to both parties this weekend stating his intention to play week 1 of the NFL season despite the ailment:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shu...urn=nfl-wp6042
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011   #2
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Foster says he’ll be ready for week 1, calls some fantasy owners ‘sick’

I hope it is tongue-in-cheek, cause fantasy directly and indirectly = money in his pocket.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011   #3
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 175365 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Foster says he’ll be ready for week 1, calls some fantasy owners ‘sick’

Nothing wrong with the man speaking about people who see him only as a piece of meat.
Old 08-28-2011   #4
Lucky

Rep Power: 180779 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Foster says he’ll be ready for week 1, calls some fantasy owners ‘sick’

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
I hope it is tongue-in-cheek, cause fantasy directly and indirectly = money in his pocket.
I don't see it as knocking FF in general. Just those fans who are only concerned about his injury because of FF. One of the drawbacks of Twitter is nuance. As a reader, you're left to determine intent and tone. One of the reasons that I don't go to Twitter much.
Old 08-28-2011   #5
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Foster says he’ll be ready for week 1, calls some fantasy owners ‘sick’

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I don't see it as knocking FF in general. Just those fans who are only concerned about his injury because of FF. One of the drawbacks of Twitter is nuance. As a reader, you're left to determine intent and tone. One of the reasons that I don't go to Twitter much.
I don't even have a twitter account
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011   #6
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4924 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

You can kinda see where Foster's coming from, but everyone is "sick" in that business... It's not about how you are, it's how you effect the team, whether it be a fantasy team or actual football team...
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011   #7
Lucky

Rep Power: 180779 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
I don't even have a twitter account
I've never tweeted. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Old 08-28-2011   #8
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Arian showing a bit of immaturity or lack of discernment there.

He wastes Internet ink to call certain people "sick."

I like to watch movies because the acting and the plot make me interested in the movie itself. I don't like Matt Damon's politics, nor Sean Penn's either, for example, but I like to watch movies they are in (Mystic River, Bourne Identity, etc.) If I see Matt Damon get a pie in the face by a random hater, I chuckle. Does that make me "sick" to see Matt Damon get one to the kisser? Nope.

Arian needs to realize that he can't be the Thought Police and project his own morals onto random fans out there. He exists as entertainment, for those watching (us, for example) and those who draft him in FFLs. It's only natural that FFL players are going to wring their hands and deliberate over his status.

This is where Twitter, to me, is a bit dangerous. Like Lucky said, this era of social media is tricky. It's like being able to say whatever you want but people get to interpret it how they want. In the end, what you say on social media can be disastrous of you handled wrongly...even on accident.

This is why I firmly believe that NFL teams are going to have to come out with some sort of policy that is written into a player's contract and enforced through payroll deductions and/or suspensions without pay, etc. If teams are not already planning to hire Social Media Coaches, and implementing the plan by holding mini-seminars within team facilities for all players to attend on a mandatory basis, they should be. It's a new element, a new dimension, added on top of everybody's shoulders...and it could have negative fallout if a player botches it in the heat of the moment.
Old 08-28-2011   #9
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 91312 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't tweet either, and probably never will. I totally agree with his opinion of the fantasy football crowd, irrespective of "nuance and tone".

As for his hamstring . . .
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011   #10
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I don't tweet either, and probably never will. I totally agree with his opinion of the fantasy football crowd, irrespective of "nuance and tone".

As for his hamstring . . .
Well, considering your age...I'd say your attitude/opinion about Twitter and FFL is rooted in your generation's ideals.

There'll come a day in 20 years when I find the newest "thing" to be absurd or shallow, too, I'm sure.

It goes without saying, right?

Arian can be something special if he doesn't let his mental image of himself get in the way. That's what I sometimes think about: Could Arian Foster someday lose touch with the sense of reality that's around him...to the point that he throws his hands up and tells "the system" to eff off?

Too much attention given to introspection can make a person lose touch with the world around him. At the end of the day, we're all breathing the same oxygen, taking the same Advil, eating the same foods, etc. He's coming off a bit preachy and a bit "above the crowd" for my taste. Which is fine, until he takes it to an extreme and tries to find the limits of it.

Yada, yada, yada....
Old 08-28-2011   #11
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Well, considering your age...I'd say your attitude/opinion about Twitter and FFL is rooted in your generation's ideals.

There'll come a day in 20 years when I find the newest "thing" to be absurd or shallow, too, I'm sure.

It goes without saying, right?

Arian can be something special if he doesn't let his mental image of himself get in the way. That's what I sometimes think about: Could Arian Foster someday lose touch with the sense of reality that's around him...to the point that he throws his hands up and tells "the system" to eff off?

Too much attention given to introspection can make a person lose touch with the world around him. At the end of the day, we're all breathing the same oxygen, taking the same Advil, eating the same foods, etc. He's coming off a bit preachy and a bit "above the crowd" for my taste. Which is fine, until he takes it to an extreme and tries to find the limits of it.

Yada, yada, yada....
I really think the guy was kidding. He constantly is saying stuff tongue-in-cheek, and I think this is another one of those instances.
Old 08-28-2011   #12
ultimatepaki
Rookie

Colin Cowherd on his twitter:
'We really do care about you as a human too. Um,now about that hammy?
--signed, everybody

Arian's reply on twitter:
Did you want to be a critic as a child? Or did your dreams die with your humility? RT @ESPN_Colin

http://twitter.com/#!/ArianFoster/st...02300542087170

Nice response Arian
ultimatepaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011   #13
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 93420 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

He wasn't being tongue and cheek. The injury is really upsetting him, and he's finding the fantasy football impact to be irritating.

If you've read interviews with Foster, you can see signs that he is an emotional guy who consciously tries to remain cool and zen about everything. He's also young and idealistic, so he'll have a tendency to see things in black and white.
Brisco_County is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011   #14
XI CMURDER IX
Gig 'em

Rep Power: 1517 XI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respected

That is why I don't play fantasy football as much anymore, it is too hard to balance that with actually caring about the players you root for! Nice response by Foster though.
XI CMURDER IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011   #15
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Arian showing a bit of immaturity or lack of discernment there.

He wastes Internet ink to call certain people "sick."

I like to watch movies because the acting and the plot make me interested in the movie itself. I don't like Matt Damon's politics, nor Sean Penn's either, for example, but I like to watch movies they are in (Mystic River, Bourne Identity, etc.) If I see Matt Damon get a pie in the face by a random hater, I chuckle. Does that make me "sick" to see Matt Damon get one to the kisser? Nope.

Arian needs to realize that he can't be the Thought Police and project his own morals onto random fans out there. He exists as entertainment, for those watching (us, for example) and those who draft him in FFLs. It's only natural that FFL players are going to wring their hands and deliberate over his status.

This is where Twitter, to me, is a bit dangerous. Like Lucky said, this era of social media is tricky. It's like being able to say whatever you want but people get to interpret it how they want. In the end, what you say on social media can be disastrous of you handled wrongly...even on accident.

This is why I firmly believe that NFL teams are going to have to come out with some sort of policy that is written into a player's contract and enforced through payroll deductions and/or suspensions without pay, etc. If teams are not already planning to hire Social Media Coaches, and implementing the plan by holding mini-seminars within team facilities for all players to attend on a mandatory basis, they should be. It's a new element, a new dimension, added on top of everybody's shoulders...and it could have negative fallout if a player botches it in the heat of the moment.
Wow. You have quite an opinion on this. I didn't see anything wrong with what he twatted. It certainly isn't scandalous and I doubt he gets a visit with Goodell over it.
Old 08-28-2011   #16
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 93420 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatepaki View Post
Colin Cowherd on his twitter:
'We really do care about you as a human too. Um,now about that hammy?
--signed, everybody

Arian's reply on twitter:
Did you want to be a critic as a child? Or did your dreams die with your humility? RT @ESPN_Colin

http://twitter.com/#!/ArianFoster/st...02300542087170

Nice response Arian
It's an immature response. Cowherd, media, and everyone else is justified in asking a professional athlete about his injury. Real football and fantasy are a business. Welcome to the big leagues, kid.
Brisco_County is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 286048 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Nothing wrong with the man speaking about people who see him only as a piece of meat.
We all see him as a piece of meat.

some of us are concerned for our fantasy team.

some of us are concerned about our favorite franchise.

some of us are concerned about marketing opportunities.

Very few of us are worried about him as a person.
Old 08-28-2011   #18
XI CMURDER IX
Gig 'em

Rep Power: 1517 XI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
It's an immature response. Cowherd, media, and everyone else is justified in asking a professional athlete about his injury. Real football and fantasy are a business. Welcome to the big leagues, kid.
I think what he said went right over your head. Just throwing that out there. He was defending himself as a professional athlete, and not downing Cowherd.
XI CMURDER IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011   #19
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

Very good posting here. We care about players/entertainers/public figure based on what they can do for us. Nothing more, nothing less.
Old 08-28-2011   #20
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

This.

Which is why I don't understand why fans get mad at players for holding out or when they make other unpopular monetary decisions.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read