Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-28-2011   #1
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default if we have a top ten defense?

if we have a top ten defense does it matter how mario plays? i'll take an 11 man unit over an all pro olb. so far everything has looked improved but everyone is all over mario. if he fails and leaves we have barwin and reid for next year and dont have to worry about his deal. i'm done with all the mario talk cause it looks like we will have an attacking D with or without him being special.
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011   #2
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: if we have a top ten defense?

Hell no it wouldn't matter how Mario plays. That would actually be an ideal situation, considering his contract situation.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011   #3
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 12627 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

For someone who's done with all the mario talk, you sure started a thread that will inevitably be completely about him. Really, people are getting too hung up on Mario's performance, he's a very valuable player to have on this defense
Old 08-28-2011   #4
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

That's the best you could come up with? How about if we have a top 10 defense to go with our top 5 offense, can we threepeat in the Super Bowl?
Old 08-28-2011   #5
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
if we have a top ten defense does it matter how mario plays? i'll take an 11 man unit over an all pro olb. so far everything has looked improved but everyone is all over mario. if he fails and leaves we have barwin and reid for next year and dont have to worry about his deal. i'm done with all the mario talk cause it looks like we will have an attacking D with or without him being special.
Since you are done with Mario talk, I do not expect any response from you, but you asked so here goes again. Of course it matters how each and every player performs. What many readers don't seem to get is Mario is different than any other player due to cap hit of apprx. $14 million and is in last year of contract. More importantly, unless he has a completely abysmal season, he should bring a very lucrative trade offer from at least a couple 4-3 teams. I have repeatedly said I am not advocating a trade but want to listen to any offer that betters Texans. I don't want to see Mario walk away after season for nothing. If he is real good, he will be offered a real sweet deal or we can acccept a trade. Texans are in the driver seat.

We only have 3 pre-season games behind us and Mario looks incrementally better, but he has not distinguished himself. His job is to blow blockers up, toss opponents aside like a tornado and cause havoc in the backfield. Same as when he was a 4-3 DE. Can he do this? I think he can. Will he is the issue.

Sure it is a team sport but #1 pick is supposed to do his job and then some whether it is a QB, RB, CB, LT, OLB or Mario Williams. I think it was very wise for Wade to hedge his bets by drafting Reed.
Old 08-28-2011   #6
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Brooks reed is a violent tackler.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011   #7
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I think it was very wise for Wade to hedge his bets by drafting Reed.
Drafting Reed wasn't about hedging bets. They absolutely had to find OLB help in the draft. They had 3 guys on the roster, (Williams, Barwin, & Nading) penciled in at OLB. Barwin was coming off a major ankle injury. I thought they would draft 2 OLBs, but finding Braman as a UDFA seems to be a lucky break.
Old 08-28-2011   #8
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Vikings gave up a 1st, 2 3rds, and swapped a 6th for Allen. I would expect something similar for Mario.
Old 08-30-2011   #9
80tothezone
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5078 80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected

I got to agree with ya even though I am a fan of trading him, it isn't going to happen and the D is doing very well. So it is really a mute point, we going into the season with what we got and as a unit they look real good, don't know about top 10 but they look damn good so who really cares what we do with MW ... LONG As they put rings on their fingers at the end of the yr who really cares....

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
Old 08-30-2011   #10
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Vikings gave up a 1st, 2 3rds, and swapped a 6th for Allen. I would expect something similar for Mario.
Man. if that was offered, I do it right after I recovered from fainting. Oh, lordy, I am off to figure a draft with two firsts, a second, three thirds...
Old 08-30-2011   #11
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

You draft guys to build a defense. A starting defense is composed of 11 players. If none of them are standing out statistically but your defense is in or around the top ten (admittedly unlikely but still...) then you win games and hang up your "Mission Accomplished" banner. Mario isn't the most "fluid" OLB I've ever seen and still looks kind of stiff to me but who cares. He's making his presence felt and other players are benefitting from it. He's not accumulating stats at the rate we're accustomed to but notice that nobody is in a hurry to be the first team to ignore Mario Williams.

I suspect that the first offense that tries to get away with that will pay dearly.
Old 08-30-2011   #12
prostock101
Mr. Big

Rep Power: 275 prostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respected

"His job is to blow blockers up, toss opponents aside like a tornado and cause havoc in the backfield. Same as when he was a 4-3 DE."

I'm sorry, but when did he ever do this? Someone please show me a clip of him in "tornado mode". And while you're at it. Show me all these double teams he was supposedly up against as a DE.
prostock101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011   #13
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Even if Mario doesn't have a big statistical impact you know that teams have to gameplan for him anyway, and that opens things up for others around him. I think the Texans have the right idea with him this season, there isn't really a lot to lose by letting him play it out.

If he isn't worth the money he's offered elsewhere to our team, let him walk.

I'd rather have 2nd year Brooks Reed starting OLB than Rookie Brooks Reed anyway, he'll have more time to develop and similar to Barwin's rookie season he'll have his chance to make an impact.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
If we have a top ten defense... then throw in a badass Mario.... we'll have the greatest defense of All TIME
Old 08-30-2011   #15
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
You draft guys to build a defense. A starting defense is composed of 11 players. If none of them are standing out statistically but your defense is in or around the top ten (admittedly unlikely but still...) then you win games and hang up your "Mission Accomplished" banner. Mario isn't the most "fluid" OLB I've ever seen and still looks kind of stiff to me but who cares. He's making his presence felt and other players are benefitting from it. He's not accumulating stats at the rate we're accustomed to but notice that nobody is in a hurry to be the first team to ignore Mario Williams.

I suspect that the first offense that tries to get away with that will pay dearly.
I don't care so much about statistics as very misleading but I do watch the player. If any are not playing as he should, it is time to consider a replacement.
If Mario makes his presence known and others create the havoc, cool beans. I need to see a bit more impact from him and soon.
Old 08-30-2011   #16
XI CMURDER IX
Gig 'em

Rep Power: 1517 XI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
If we have a top ten defense... then throw in a badass Mario.... we'll have the greatest defense of All TIME
Even with Cream Jackson!?!?!?!?!
XI CMURDER IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011   #17
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostock101 View Post
"His job is to blow blockers up, toss opponents aside like a tornado and cause havoc in the backfield. Same as when he was a 4-3 DE."

I'm sorry, but when did he ever do this? Someone please show me a clip of him in "tornado mode". And while you're at it. Show me all these double teams he was supposedly up against as a DE.
I said it is his job, never said he was or was not doing the job.
Old 08-30-2011   #18
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
Even if Mario doesn't have a big statistical impact you know that teams have to gameplan for him anyway, and that opens things up for others around him. I think the Texans have the right idea with him this season, there isn't really a lot to lose by letting him play it out.

If he isn't worth the money he's offered elsewhere to our team, let him walk.

I'd rather have 2nd year Brooks Reed starting OLB than Rookie Brooks Reed anyway, he'll have more time to develop and similar to Barwin's rookie season he'll have his chance to make an impact.
But see this is the point that I and others bring up, we don't want him to just walk. We want something for him. If he is offered a long term contract beginning at $12m next season and say 5 years $75m & we don't match, I want something in return.
Old 08-30-2011   #19
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post

Really? Seriously? Really? This is like the 5 time I have read this type post. How are you coming up with this?
Old 08-30-2011   #20
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
But see this is the point that I and others bring up, we don't want him to just walk. We want something for him. If he is offered a long term contract beginning at $12m next season and say 5 years $75m & we don't match, I want something in return.

So why don't we lock him up now?

Guarantee him $40million, $14 million signing bonus lock him up for the next 3 years or so. If he doesn't curl your toes as an OLB, I'm sure well still get good offers for him as a 4-3 DE.

The $14 million bonus would equate to the same cap hit we're taking this year.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read