Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-25-2011   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100807 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default NFL.com:Blue chips and red chips

By Michael Lombardi NFL.com

Quote:
Definition of a blue-chip player
» Player demonstrates rare abilities and can create mismatches that have an obvious impact on the game
» Is a premier player in the league and a weapon on the field
» Combines competitiveness and skill to have a consistent championship-level performance
» Rates in the top five at his position in the league

Definition of a red-chip player
» Player has abilities that can create mismatches vs. most opponents in the league
» Is a featured player on the team and has impact on the outcome of the game
» Player can't be taken out of the game in one-on-one matchup
» Has a consistent level of performance each week
» Plays at a championship level performance
» Rates in the top 10 at his position in the league
Offensive rankings
Blue chip
Andre Johnson, Texans

Red Chip
Matt Schaub, Texans
Arian Foster, Texans

Defensive Rankings

Blue chip
Mario Williams, Texans

Red Chip
Johnathan Joseph, Texans
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011   #2
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 108483 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NFL.com:Blue chips and red chips

Open Daniels is a blue chipper. Damn you Buffailo turf!!!

Putting Foster bellow Turner, Rice and Jackson is pretty .

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011   #3
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Daniels doesn't belong on that list.

....but Demeco Ryans? I wonder how many spots he missed by...

How 'bout the dig on Eric Winston?
"It's no coincidence all 10 play left tackle; it's where the best linemen play."
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011   #4
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

We need to trade our blue chip defensive player fast before everyone outside of Houston realizes he sucks.
Old 08-25-2011   #5
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 108483 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Go back and watch the last quarter of the season and the games leading up to his injury in Buffailo in '09. Daniels is right there with the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
We need to trade our blue chip defensive player fast before everyone outside of Houston realizes he sucks.
He's only rated 5th. They've already caught on and we won't be able to get a late 7th for him.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011   #6
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That was the Mario Williams formerly known as an NFL DE. This OLB version is not to be found on these list's. IMO, WP spoke the truth of this situation shortly after he was named DC.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011   #7
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14869 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

"It's no coincidence all 10 play left tackle; it's where the best linemen play."
It's going only by last year and Ryans missed pretty much all of last year, but any normal year I think he'd be a red chip at the very least.

Ryans is a tackling machine! He was our best defensive player IMO before that injury and I think it is more than a coincidence that once he went down the Texans started to LOSE those close games rather than WIN them.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-25-2011   #8
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We should CONSIDER trading our WOLB ( Mario Williams) because he's changing positions, in the last year of his contract and not doing so well in the whole changing positions thing.

Quote:

Winston's best play comes on Sirius NFL channel. He's spotty at best in pass pro and not a great fit for ZBS. He prefers to road grade on run blocking.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011   #9
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Blue chippers : AJ, Schaub & Foster
Red chippers: Mario, a healthy Ryans

Possible Blue Chippers this season: Mario, Tate, OD, Reed
Possible Red Chipper this season: Walter, Barwin, Duane Brown
Old 08-25-2011   #10
Lucky

Rep Power: 160417 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Blue chippers : AJ, Schaub & Foster
Red chippers: Mario, a healthy Ryans
How is Schaub a blue chip QB? Yes, he's put up solid numbers. But, you have to win more games than you lose to be considered elite. You have to QB in some big games and win a few.

Matt hasn't made it. I hope he does. I think he can. But, he hasn't.
Old 08-25-2011   #11
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
How is Schaub a blue chip QB? Yes, he's put up solid numbers. But, you have to win more games than you lose to be considered elite. You have to QB in some big games and win a few.

Matt hasn't made it. I hope he does. I think he can. But, he hasn't.
Schaub is not AJ. Having said that, using your statement, AJ has not won any more playoff games or SBs than Matt. I think Matt's passing yardage compares favorably to AJ's receiving yardage. I would agree that AJ is at upper "limit" and Schaub at a lower level of blue chip.
Old 08-25-2011   #12
Lucky

Rep Power: 160417 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Schaub is not AJ. Having said that, using your statement, AJ has not won any more playoff games or SBs than Matt.
QBs are judged versus other QBs. It's the most important position on the field...by far. That he has the luxury of the best receiver in the game at his disposal possibly inflates Matt's stats. There's just no way Schaub can be put on the level of Manning, Brady, or Brees...yet.
Old 08-25-2011   #13
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Foster has had one amazing year. Slaton had 1 great year too. Id like to see someone perform for more than 1 year before calling them a blue chipper. I think Foster is rated correctly
Old 08-25-2011   #14
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
QBs are judged versus other QBs. It's the most important position on the field...by far. That he has the luxury of the best receiver in the game at his disposal possibly inflates Matt's stats. There's just no way Schaub can be put on the level of Manning, Brady, or Brees...yet.
I do not limit blue chip to those 3 QBs or top 5. I think Schaub could be #6 right now and after this season, top 5.
Old 08-25-2011   #15
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Foster has had one amazing year. Slaton had 1 great year too. Id like to see someone perform for more than 1 year before calling them a blue chipper. I think Foster is rated correctly
How many first full season players are the #1 at their position in NFL? Any blue chipper having a bad season this year will drop down the ranks. A 5 year blue chipper is more valuable than a 3 year blue chipper but both are blue.
Old 08-25-2011   #16
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

"1 year blue chipper" doesnt make sense though. A blue chip is someone you can count on year in and year out
Old 08-25-2011   #17
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Blue, AJ

Red

Schaub, Joseph, Foster,

Possible red

Cushing, Barwin, Ryans, D.Brown, Ryans, Watt
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011   #18
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213938 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
"1 year blue chipper" doesnt make sense though. A blue chip is someone you can count on year in and year out
Then how did Ndamukong Suh make the blue chip list? At #2 no less....
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011   #19
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 717 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

Quote:

really? he's easily better than 4 of the guys on red chip and 1 on blue chip.
Old 08-26-2011   #20
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213938 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

"Andre Johnson is so 'blue chip' if he drank Dos Equis I'd be out of a job"
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read