Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-25-2011   #1
Ckw

Default Brooks Reed is a monster!

I am re-watching the game from Saturday and just can't help but get a little excited about Brooks Reed. I have been a little down on him from everything I have read about practice.

But in the game, this man becomes a beast! I have been replaying his forced fumble over and over and Reed just comes in like a man possessed. This is what Cushing looked like in his rookie year. What's scary is unlike Cushing, Reed is such a beast his teammates didn't even think of telling him to cut his hair.

I am really looking forward to seeing more of this guy.

Old 08-25-2011   #2
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 125714 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Brooks Reed is a monster!

Reed and Cushing (at least rookie Cush) just a little RC COLA!
Old 08-25-2011   #3
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Alan's article

Quote:
In case you missed it and was wondering how Texans rookie outside linebacker Brooks Reed has been doing, allow me to provide a brief summary:

quick study n. One who is able to memorize something easily and quickly or is able to understand and deal with something easily and successfully. (thefreedictionary.com) synonyms: sponge, learner

This isn't coming from Joe Fan watching DVR replays of Texans games. This is coming from Reed's head coach.
"(Reed is ) probably the one player right now showing the most vast improvement from day-to-day, practice-to-practice and game-to-game," said Gary Kubiak during his Sunday presser after the Texans win over the Saints.

"I’ve talked about how he’s changing position," said Kubiak. "But just watching that when you coach this guy the next day it’s fixed so it’s really impressive right now. He was very impressive in the football game (against the Saints)"

Reed was a 'hand on the ground' defensive end at Arizona and is learning an entirely new position. During a post-game radio interview Saturday night, Reed indicated that he's still on a steep learning curve.

Steep learning curve aside, Reed showed up big in the game against the Saints logging two sacks, two hurries and two forced fumbles. I can't wait for him to start getting it.

Kubiak talked about Reed again today after practice, highlighting Reed's performance on special teams in addition to his impressive showing on defense.

Continue reading on Examiner.com Kubiak: Brooks Reed a quick study - Houston Houston Texans | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/houston-texa...#ixzz1W4w1IlYF
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011   #4
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 85708 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow, when camp started, Reed wasn't performing well according to reports, but there is every indication that he is quickly turning into something special.

I hate to fall victim to hype, which might be the case here with Reed in the preseason, but damn, I'm starting to get as excited about Reed as any player on the roster.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011   #5
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Truth on the hair. Glad we're not worried about hair anymore.

Remember, many thought he was a first round talent that dropped.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011   #6
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200878 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I was really excited when we drafted him. I thought he was a first rounder for sure. (I kinda expected us to reach for him with our #1.) I never expected him to get past the Patriots. He's their kind of player.

Then my excitement cooled when everyone at the practices were saying he looked lost.

Then I saw him in the first preseason game and my excitement returned. Kid's a gamer.

Then the second preseason game? I'm thinking either him or Watt as DROY.

After the 3rd preseason game? I may have him in the hall of fame. So I'm trusting you guys to keep me from going overboard.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011   #7
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Brooks Reed: First NFL player ever to make it to the HOF before ever seeing a regular season game.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-25-2011   #8
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 172895 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Brooks Reed: First NFL player ever to make it to the HOF before ever seeing a regular season game.
I thought that was Reggae Bush
...you know, gonna be "the next Gayle Sayers" and all....
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011   #9
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
Alan's article

Continue reading on Examiner.com Kubiak: Brooks Reed a quick study - Houston Houston Texans | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/houston-texa...#ixzz1W4w1IlYF
Great article, Wolf! Rep your way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
Wow, when camp started, Reed wasn't performing well according to reports, but there is every indication that he is quickly turning into something special.

I hate to fall victim to hype, which might be the case here with Reed in the preseason, but damn, I'm starting to get as excited about Reed as any player on the roster.
I'm right there with you. This last game, especially watching the replay of it, has sold me on Reed. The guy turns into a beast come game time, has an incredible motor, and I can't wait to watch what Watt and Reed do together.
Old 08-25-2011   #10
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Brooks reed has me almost as excited as watt.

We are going to have to get this guy on the field. A good healthy rotation mixed in with a variety of fronts. He'll, he could be a starter for us before the season is over.

And I agree with you PN, he may have struggled some in practice, but the guy is a gamer.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011   #11
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 55166 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I really love our draft for this reason. From 1-7, we drafted high motor, motivated players. Too many times, highly touted, high draft picks think they've "arrived". Vets feed off of rooks who've "arrived"(minus the rare talent that truly has). The majority of our '11 draft seems to get this. I can't wait to buy his jersey.
Old 08-25-2011   #12
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I was really excited when we drafted him. I thought he was a first rounder for sure. (I kinda expected us to reach for him with our #1.) I never expected him to get past the Patriots. He's their kind of player.
I thought he was a late first rounder and would go to the Jets. He is the kind of player that Ryan would love to have in a 3-4. However, when the Pats came up with the first pick in the 2nd round I was convinced he was gone. I didn't think they would pass on him twice. After he got past NE, I thought the next place he may go would be Dallas. They needed a LB and he could play in that spot. When he got past Dallas, I hoped that Kubes and Smith wouldn't try to be cute and blow it. I got to the point where I wanted either Reed or Harris and would have been happy with either.

Imagine how psyched I was when we got both!

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011   #13
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 55166 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
I thought he was a late first rounder and would go to the Jets. He is the kind of player that Ryan would love to have in a 3-4. However, when the Pats came up with the first pick in the 2nd round I was convinced he was gone. I didn't think they would pass on him twice. After he got past NE, I thought the next place he may go would be Dallas. They needed a LB and he could play in that spot. When he got past Dallas, I hoped that Kubes and Smith wouldn't try to be cute and blow it. I got to the point where I wanted either Reed or Harris and would have been happy with either.

Imagine how psyched I was when we got both!
So you pretty much know chit about the draft? Just messin with ya....
Old 08-25-2011   #14
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 55298 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

I was big on drafting Reed after reading a Green Bay fan-made draft guide. He was on the cover because they wanted him has a Clay Matthews clone on the other side.
Brisco_County is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011   #15
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 125714 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Best part of article "I cain't wait for him to start getting it." Me neither.
Old 08-25-2011   #16
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree with the thread title. I think this guy is going to be special. I think he needs to be on the field early and often.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011   #17
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 21478 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

I wonder if he has the range to play ILB if needed, he's listed at 6'-2" 263 lbs.

I know he's a pass rush guy, but I'm concerned about Cush and Meco.
Old 08-26-2011   #18
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69969 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Obviously you didn't see Bennie J. or Tony Hollings play.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011   #19
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 172895 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
Obviously you didn't see Bennie J. or Tony Hollings play.

Mike
heh heh....
neither did anyone else
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011   #20
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm excited about the guy myself, just hope to see him against some 1s... For example, on that forced fumble, he came in so fast because a 3rd-string left-tackle was still set in his 2point stance when the QB was already dropping back... 1st-string LT/RT wouldn't have waited 'til Reed's hair brushed his shoulder to snap out of it and start moving...

But yes yes, I'm verrry excited about this guy... Just wanna see more against 1s... Looks like SF might not let that happen... But still, we've got a good one with this guy...
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read