Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-24-2011   #1
Clamp
Rookie

Rep Power: 167 Clamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respected
Default A Potential Big DT to Bring In Soon

Pat Kirwan NFL.com-

"Up in New England, the switch to the 4-3 defense and the addition of Albert Haynesworth, Andre Carter and Mark Anderson is going to make it tough for Gerard Warren to make the defensive line group, especially when Ron Brace comes off the PUP list."

Gerard Warren- 6'4'' 330 DT

I really know nothing about him but he is a 33 so he may be on his last legs. Anyone have any opinion or info in him?
Clamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011   #2
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: A Potential Big DT to Bring In Soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamp View Post
Pat Kirwan NFL.com-

"Up in New England, the switch to the 4-3 defense and the addition of Albert Haynesworth, Andre Carter and Mark Anderson is going to make it tough for Gerard Warren to make the defensive line group, especially when Ron Brace comes off the PUP list."

Gerard Warren- 6'4'' 330 DT

I really know nothing about him but he is a 33 so he may be on his last legs. Anyone have any opinion or info in him?
He's 33 and toast.

That's all I've got.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011   #3
Clamp
Rookie

Rep Power: 167 Clamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm holding out hope that he may have something left based in the fact that he is losing out bc of the numbers game, but i may be ignoring the facts lol.
Clamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011   #4
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamp View Post
I'm holding out hope that he may have something left based in the fact that he is losing out bc of the numbers game, but i may be ignoring the facts lol.
He's been pretty consistent throughout his career...even last year.

http://www.nfl.com/player/gerardwarren/2504771/profile

He might actually be a decent stop gap. I mean look what we've got right now. He might be a good insurance policy and he does have PLENTY of experience which could come in handy down the road.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011   #5
BetaV1
Veteran

Rep Power: 3509 BetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Say, I hear JaMarcus Russell isn't doing anything right now....

-Credit to False Start for this signature-
BetaV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011   #6
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaV1 View Post
So if I read this correctly Brakos will appear in 3....2.....1.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakos
Just send him some Hot Pockets and turn him into a NT
Old 08-24-2011   #7
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaV1 View Post
Lol, he'd be a 3 gap NT
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-24-2011   #8
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

I think we should bring him in. We are all smarter than WP and surely once Warren gets here we can show Wade why he needs a 2 gap nose tackle for a 1 gap defense.

We play Fantasy Football right? We read all of the scouting reports on ESPN Insider. We even listen to Mike and Mike in the morning. Hell! We just know better.

All we really need to do is explain to Wade Phillips this is what he really needs right? Who needs 30 plus years of experience turning around bad defenses?
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011   #9
wildroot
Veteran

Rep Power: 1945 wildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respected

In about 2 weeks we'll be able to sign some pretty good players on the cheap off the Waiver Wire if we have the need.
wildroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011   #10
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherstang84 View Post
I think we should bring him in. We are all smarter than WP and surely once Warren gets here we can show Wade why he needs a 2 gap nose tackle for a 1 gap defense.

We play Fantasy Football right? We read all of the scouting reports on ESPN Insider. We even listen to Mike and Mike in the morning. Hell! We just know better.

All we really need to do is explain to Wade Phillips this is what he really needs right? Who needs 30 plus years of experience turning around bad defenses?
They used most of their assets solving other issues with the D .... both in the draft and FA , I get the idea that WP saying he can make things work with what he has is much like Kubiak last year when Smith left him with such a young secondary - He said what he had to because he had no other options. Kubiak wasnt going to throw Smith under the bus and say he gave me a bunch of nothing to work with ..... That could have caused problems with both players and the GM ..... Then Allen was brought in off of the streets when the opportunity arose.

I'd wager that if there is a viable 2 gap DT waived that they will take a long look at him ..... I almost expect someone to be brought in at the position.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011   #11
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Want a dt that excels against the run, but is wade willing to sacrifice the quickness and pass rushing that Mitchell brings?

I like Mitch as the starter, but id like to see Cody replaced in the rotation.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011   #12
jtexas
Veteran

Rep Power: 3408 jtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respected

Statistically he stinks.

(Profootball Focus Stats)
In 2010 he was ranked #106 out of #155 DT. (hurt most of season)
In 2009 #152 / 161.
In 2008 #126 / 164.

The worst part is that he was in the bottom 4% in run defense. His mediocre pass rush helped bring his ranking up a little.
jtexas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011   #13
80tothezone
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5079 80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherstang84 View Post

relax man we r just fans with opinions the opinions show we give a damn bout the team not saying we know better than wade or ne of the analysts but we have opinions and on a forum titled Texans Talk I would think opinions would be valued here otherwise change it to Texans Lecture or Hereiswhat coachesofthehoustontexanssay.com ... I trust wade on D and Kubes on O but at the same time I have my own opinions on what they are doing.
Old 08-25-2011   #14
prostock101
Mr. Big

Rep Power: 275 prostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's another article talking about the need for a big NT and who's available. WP has stated from the git go that his D doesn't need one. Well, based on two preseason games, we need something. Either a bigger tackle or a better one....

http://www.reclinerqb.com/2011/08/wh...ve-tackle.html
prostock101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011   #15
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

^^from the above:

-Jamal Williams is probably the most likely candidate, at 6'3" and 348lbs he has the prototypical size for a 2-down run stuffing 3-4 Nose Tackle. While he is on the other side of 35, he should have a couple of years left as his body did not take the wear and tear after suffering a torn triceps. What makes him the most likely option is his familiarity with Wade Phillips who had Williams anchoring his defensive line when he was the defensive coordinator in San Diego. As long as Williams has kept himself in shape since he was released by Denver before the lockout, the Texans should get him in a uniform as soon as possible!

-Pat Williams has spent his career as the run stuffer of the "Williams Wall" while he was with the Vikings. While he is closer to 40 and has been in Minnesota running a 4-3, he has the ability and the size (6'3" 317lbs) to anchor the Phillips 3-4. Teams have shied away from him in free agency seemingly due to the lingering Star Caps case which threatens to keep him out of the first 4 games of the season. Luckily for the Texans their schedule only has 1 proven "run oriented" team in their first 4 weeks (Steelers), their other 3 opponents, Colts (never much of a running game), Dolphins (Replacing their 2 leading rushers), Saints (have the abillity to be balanced but I won't believe it until I see it), so signing a run stuffing tackle should be a priority.

-Ma'ake Kemoeatu is the long shot of the group, his career has been derailed since he suffered major shoulder and Achilles injuries, but he has the size (6'5" 350lbs) and has show ability and potential in the past to be a situational run stuffer. The Texans should bring him in after Week 1 when his salary would not be guaranteed to see if he can pass a physical, if he passes give him a shot.
Old 08-25-2011   #16
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 189741 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Right team. Wrong player. Trade for Ron Brace.
Old 08-25-2011   #17
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 112890 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

We need more defensive line talent and I think they will add someone once cuts start BUT, we've had plenty of chances to get bigger nose tackles already and they havent done it. I dont think they're going to. Everyone holding out hope for a Shaun Rodgers type 350 lb nose tackle is dreaming.
Old 08-25-2011   #18
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
We need more defensive line talent and I think they will add someone once cuts start BUT, we've had plenty of chances to get bigger nose tackles already and they havent done it. I dont think they're going to. Everyone holding out hope for a Shaun Rodgers type 350 lb nose tackle is dreaming.

I'm 6'5" and around 315 right now, but my frame will hold another 20-25lbs.

Pay me, Rick!
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011   #19
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 112890 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
I'm 6'5" and around 315 right now, but my frame will hold another 20-25lbs.
This morning I heard Richard Justice say Mario should gain 70lbs and play nose. Problem is he was serious.
Old 08-25-2011   #20
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
This morning I heard Richard Justice say Mario should gain 70lbs and play nose. Problem is he was serious.
That should be no problem for Mario. I can start him on my diet and exercise regimen, and put 70lbs of beer muscle on him in no time at all.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read