Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 08-24-2011   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Bill Belichick wants the extra point to die

Quote:
This is my favorite thing to come out of the conversation about the new kickoff rules. Bill Belichick used a kickoff question to move the conversation toward the extra point, and argued that it should be eliminated from the game, or at least greatly modified.

"Philosophically, plays that are non-plays shouldn't be in the game. I don't think it is good for the game. Extra points, when the odds are 99 percent range in extra points it is not a play. Let's move the ball back to the 15-20 yard line and not make it a tap in. Let them kick it. Same thing with the kickoff return, if you're just going to put the ball on the 20, put the ball on the 20."

(Applause.)

Given my druthers, I'd eliminate it completely -- I don't think you'd see a lot of kicks missed from the 15 or 20, either. It saves time, it speeds the game along, and the guy in the end-zone seats with the John 3:16 sign doesn't get time to prepare for his close-up.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shu...urn=nfl-wp5693
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011   #2
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14869 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bill Belichick wants the extra point to die

Can't say I agree but I do get where he's coming from.

Yeah the Extra point is pretty much a sure thing...but when it is blocked it usually is a exciting thing. There really is no reason to take it out, it's not even a dangerous play or a lengthy one.

As for the new kickoff rule, that's another topic and they shouldn't have messed with it. At one point the NFL is going to have to realize that this is a violent sport and people are going to get hurt. When they start changing traditional rules that change the game (the kickoff rule) then I think we've reached that point. What's next, can only two hand touch the WRs? Thus getting rid of all the big hits that defenders plan to put on them once they catch the ball.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011   #3
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

He's right. Move it back to where MOST PEOPLE can't just kick it through the upright or do away with it completely.

As for the kickoffs, I don't think that will ever be removed, it's necessary. I do think that at some point, the players are going to have to make a stand and say, "this is what we signed up for" and let them participate in some violent collisions. People sign up for all kinds of crazy shit, sky diving, braces, war, mma cage fights, tattoos come on.....
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011   #4
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree with Bellicheat.

This time.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011   #5
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

once a cheater always a cheater
Old 08-24-2011   #6
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Extra point is a waste of time. I like the idea of making it a real play. Move them out to the 10 and force a 2 point conversion.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011   #7
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco west View Post
Can't say I agree but I do get where he's coming from.

Yeah the Extra point is pretty much a sure thing...but when it is blocked it usually is a exciting thing. There really is no reason to take it out, it's not even a dangerous play or a lengthy one.

As for the new kickoff rule, that's another topic and they shouldn't have messed with it. At one point the NFL is going to have to realize that this is a violent sport and people are going to get hurt. When they start changing traditional rules that change the game (the kickoff rule) then I think we've reached that point. What's next, can only two hand touch the WRs? Thus getting rid of all the big hits that defenders plan to put on them once they catch the ball.
Right now, there are still collisions on kick offs, but they are basically pointless collisions. Guys still run down and get hit, only to have the return man take a knee.
Old 08-24-2011   #8
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Texan View Post
once a cheater always a cheater
Why bring Cushing into this?
Old 08-24-2011   #9
gwallaia

Rep Power: 71741 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Extra point is a waste of time. I like the idea of making it a real play. Move them out to the 10 and force a 2 point conversion.
Or make the kicker hit either one of the uprights for the point. Its easy as hell to kick in that big open space in between. Make them hit the 8" wide upright, that would take some skill.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011   #10
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 52676 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Have the goal post spin. Then the kicker has to time it right to get it through.

Or pull a net up along the uprights with a box painted on it and the kicker has to hit that box.

Or, all extra point kicks have to be drop kicked.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011   #11
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 118533 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Disagree with Belicheat here...I was very much in favor of bringing back the 2-point conversion years ago and I see no reason to eliminate it now.

This all seems like knee-jeck overreaction to the kickoffs being moved up (which won't last).
Old 08-24-2011   #12
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Bill Belichick wants the extra point to die

Quote:
but when it is blocked it usually is a exciting thing. There really is no reason to take it out, it's not even a dangerous play or a lengthy one.
/thread
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011   #13
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I've never found it exciting, personally. When they miss I just chuckle and say "wow...really?" and that's about it.

Now I think it would be more exciting if they allowed the blocking team to score a point on a return of an attempt, and still get the ball at kickoff. I think that would heighten the exitement and provide incentive towards blocking the kids rather than watching the typical lineman stand up after the snap and turn around to see if it was good.
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011   #14
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

I've always been against the extra point and I agree with Belichick. The extra point to me is a pointless exercise. They need to do away with it completely or figure out a way to make it more of a real play instead of an automatic chip shot.
Old 08-24-2011   #15
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249059 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Actually, I kind of like this. It's more exciting than a stupid 10 yd kick, and it's most certainly not automatic.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011   #16
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Oh wow. This is exactly what I have been advocating the past year.

In my NFL world, there is NO field goal kicker. Just a punter.

Start each possession on the 20, or move it forwards or backwards if there was a personal foul on scoring team or defending team during the TD play, respectively.

No extra points. No field goals. Frees up a roster spot, too!

2-point conversions after every TD.

This would stop games from being won on the leg of a guy (the kicker) who actually plays no other real role on the team.

Especially with taking away wedge formation kickoff blocking, and the newest rule of putting the ball forward 5 yards, there's just no use for kickoffs. Waste of time. Makes the game less interesting because it's impossible to make a decent return on kickoffs now. Just axe it altogether.
Old 08-24-2011   #17
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

They will never get rid of kickers for two reasons: 1) the game is called football, and 2) this is an aspect of the game that goes back to it's rugby origins.
Old 08-24-2011   #18
BetaV1
Veteran

Rep Power: 3508 BetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTGco82JKHo

-Credit to False Start for this signature-
BetaV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011   #19
sakebomb
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1859 sakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
2 pt conversion from the 10? That seems dangerous.
Old 08-25-2011   #20
sakebomb
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1859 sakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm thinking one point conversion from the five yard line or a two point conversion from the 10.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read