Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-24-2011   #1
House of Pain
Knee-jerkless

Section: 106
Rep Power: 9340 House of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respected
Default If Mario is so 'terrible' at OLB...

why not move him to ILB?

I know it sounds crazy, but if Wade (and Herring) claim they can control who is rushing at all times, then why not have Mario in the Middle and stop this "we can't stop the inside-the-tackle run" nonsense? Mario has established himself as a run stopper on the line, what would change that on the second level? He could still be a devastating pass rush threat and would never have to drop into coverage and use that supposed 'bull rush' of his? We may even move Cushing to the OLB position where he may do a little bit better since he's not pregnant anymore.

Am I crazy?
House of Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011   #2
80tothezone
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5079 80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: If Mario is so 'terrible' at OLB...

Honestly I think he could be serviceable but he is pullin down 14 million ..... u can buy a lot of talent for 14 million... I hate to see him go but if he doesn't show anything in game 3 on Saturday we should look at trading him to a 4-3 for a better # 2 cb and some drat pics( not my idea but I agree with texan mike on this one).. We got plenty of what looks to be good talent behind him brooks reed, nading etc ..... like I said though I hope he proves me wrong sat against the niners and blows it up for 2 sacs and and assload of stops .... just don't think he will do it... also mario will line up everywhere so moving him to ilb won't really make a difference plus then you got to worry about him covering a back or slot receiver .... He needs to show up big on saturday and make it worth the 14 mil.
Old 08-24-2011   #3
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4924 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't mind doing what works... if that's moving him to end and having everything else dominoe from there, that's fine...

I'm not trusting in Mario to take to this position (OLB), I'm really just trusting WP to make the best decision for the D...
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011   #4
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110436 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

I have been saying this for awhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
I just dont see Mario figuring out OLB anytime soon and we cant afford to not have the best players on the field who give us our best chance to win. If he cant except playing where its best for the team then we should explore trading him. I still believe this move was made to please an unhappy Mario.

People are going to think Im crazy but if we arent going to put him back at DE I would like to see him and Cushing switch positions for a bit to see if he could handle ILB. At least his size would bulk up the middle a little bit. He and the team would be better served with him trying to split Guards and Centers than sitting outside engaged/locked up or trying to run around Tackles IMO.

Some of you older guys might remember a 300 lbs ILB that played for the Steelers back in the day, Levon Kirkland. Dude was a beast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
The way I understand it is that both ILBs are responsible for runners coming through the A and B gaps with the Weak ILB having more pass coverage duties and the Strong ILB (Where I'm suggesting Mario play) having more of a pass-rush role. Everything I have read about Wades version of the 3/4 suggest this. Of course he will have some coverage responsibilities but there are things that could be done to limit this.

Not saying this would defiantly work but it seems like it has more merit than putting him outside where his size is neutralized 99% of the time.

In wades defense average players have racked up big numbers at strong ILB.
Having mOre size in the middle coulnd only help.
Mario's size is being wasted on the outside.
This defense is predicated on speed of the edges. Mario isn't a speed guy.

There are many many reasons Mario would be better in the middle but most here wont discuss it. They will just say, well i'll go with Wades opinion over yours.
Old 08-24-2011   #5
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

at his natural 4-3 de position MW was only a devastating passrusher someof the time. As a 3-4 wolb, he's not getting anywhere near the penetration and disruption he got as de. He might make a decent wolb but I, for one, seriously doubt it will be this year he most likely won't be here next year. Since WP's 3-4 is usually a 1 gap system, de should be a better fit for him and still allow him to get sack chances, especially if a good edge rusher is forcing the qb to step up in the pocket.
Old 08-24-2011   #6
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 243112 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

I feel Mario overall would be terrible as an inside pass rusher. He demonstrates virtually only one move............a bull rush the long way around the edge. He does not man handle anyone with his hands. When you go up the middle, you better have good hand skills and a variation of moves such as spin moves which Mario does not demonstrate.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011   #7
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 139196 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Who said he was terrible at OLB? He's played the position for roughly 3-4 weeks and looks somewhat uncomfortable right now... So what?
Old 08-24-2011   #8
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Three man fronts are supposed to engage double teams that create the rushing lanes for OLB's. Watch small sample size (15 reps pre-season game one & first half game 2) other than maybe Watt who demanded double teams? Good question for 76Texan. Only way he can dominate is if the front three can take out the trash, in this context, Mario is very good @ taking out the trash & opening lanes while feasting on dinner

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011   #9
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Who said he was terrible at OLB? He's played the position for roughly 3-4 weeks and looks somewhat uncomfortable right now... So what?
Exactly. Does everyone honestly think Mario has tapped out already at OLB from a few plays in the preseason?
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011   #10
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll wait till I see an actual game before I'll say he's good/bad/average. Wade hasn't even open the playbook past page 3.
Old 08-24-2011   #11
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 243112 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
I'll wait till I see an actual game before I'll say he's good/bad/average. Wade hasn't even open the playbook past page 3.

PAGE 4 PREVIEW

CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011   #12
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Three man fronts are supposed to engage double teams that create the rushing lanes for OLB's. Watch small sample size (15 reps pre-season game one & first half game 2) other than maybe Watt who demanded double teams? Good question for 76Texan. Only way he can dominate is if the front three can take out the trash, in this context, Mario is very good @ taking out the trash & opening lanes while feasting on dinner
I think this is a bad example. Watt is so good a second lineman can't get over in time to help out. Chuck Norris' birth certificate shows JJ Watt is his real father.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011   #13
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Do you think he's lack of an explosive first step is due to being uncomfortable? I just dont think he's shown any flash in the pass rushing situations, am willing to cut him some slack when dropping into coverage. But he hasn't looked all that impressive in pure pass rushing situations. Yes, he got close to Brees; but close don't men shit. I've seen him get close to Manning for several years now, and we've still only bet them a small handfull of times.

If we going to move MW, moving him to DE would seem to be the most logically place to move him. Now would he want to move there, I doubt it. 43 DE and 34 OLB are positions that get paid and going into a contract year MW is thinking about getting paid. Wasn't Wade talking about making MW a 5 tech when he first go here?
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011   #14
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
In WPs system, the dl are one gap penetrators. That's why he thinks we are ok without the road grader that CnD wants. That's why I mentioned MW at de. CnD made some interesting comments on that.
Old 08-24-2011   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by House of Pain View Post

Am I crazy?
Yes..... I do believe you are.
Old 08-24-2011   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

If there are really any questions about Mario Williams at OLB, the only real move, would be to put him back at DE.

But if you're looking at your playmakers, you're going to be taking one of them off the field.

JJ Watt, Antonio Smith, Mario Williams.

I want them all on the field as often as possible.

Brooks Reed looks good, & deserve 1st team reps in the preseason. But you're hoping on a prayer if that is your plan going into the season. If he turns out to be legit & truly deserving to be on the field, then it's Connor Barwin who should come off. Not Mario.

Of course I like the idea of kicking Watt inside & removing Cody, or even kicking Smith inside but both of those options (I think) are worse than keeping Mario at OLB.

I remember after our game against Denver...... Battle Red, Mario had 2 sacks (maybe 3). I think he played standing up quite a bit & for the most part, we all asked to see more of it. Now that the Texans have done so, I don't really understand the resistance.

I think if the Texans decided to play Mario at DE we would still be complaining about it.
Old 08-24-2011   #17
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

The reason Mario moved to OLB is because he wanted to rush the QB. He wouldn't get that chance as much as a 3-4 DE. I doubt he'd be willing to move to ILB.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011   #18
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Umm, how about moving him back to DE where he has played well for 5 years?
Old 08-24-2011   #19
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Think we, as fans, are getting too emotional about this. No one is saying MW is a scrub who needs to be cut. Those of us who don't like this move are universally saying to move him back to de and, if possible, trade him. Not because he sux, but because of his cap hit, playing way out of position and this is the last year of his contract. Try to get something rather than hope for a 3 rd comp pick. I think MW is a good de. I don't think he'll make a good olb in time to do us much good this season. This appears to be a one year experiment.
Old 08-24-2011   #20
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I think I've firmly established that I enjoy complaining and that rarely if ever can the Texans make me happy about anything they do or attempt to do.

I'm the guy waiting for the other shoe to fall.

I'm the guy who's not just worried about the sucker punch/kick to the groin every year, I'm almost counting on it.

Having said that even I think it's too soon to get pessimistic about Mario. It's too soon to get pessimistic about any of it. Three or four weeks from now they could be just completely epic or they could be a joke. When that time comes, IF that time comes then Mario isn't going to move somewhere else on this defense. He's an asset who will be part of a sign and trade deal to get whatever it is we will need to fix whatever it is that isn't working.

Trust me, I'll let you all know when it's time to get really, really, really upset about how things are going.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read