Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-23-2011   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 133123 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default AJ:Kubiak concerned about backup receiver situation

Quote:
Texans head coach Gary Kubiak is growing concerned about the Texans backup wide receiver position.

“I’m concerned, to be honest with you," Kubiak told a media gathering Sunday afternoon. "(The backup group is) so young. You usually keep five guys. To sit here and tell you who (the fourth and fifth receivers) are right now, I think it’s a big toss-up." (houstontexans.com)

Andre Johnson, Kevin Walter and Jacoby Jones hold down the top three spots but it's still not clear who will claim the WR4 and WR5 positions on the 53 man roster come September 3.

Entering training camp it seemed that WR4 was Dorin Dickerson's position to lose but the emergence of Lestar Jean over the past two weeks has shined a new light on the backup receiver competition.

Jean has impressed Texans coaches in camp and he had two big catches in the win over the Jets on Monday Night Football.
Quote:
"I think (the competition) is wide open," said Kubiak. "I would just say this: whoever’s going to be (WR4), whoever’s going to be (WR5), they need to earn the spot. We’re not just going to give them away. It’ll be very competitive here the next two weeks.”

I'm not sure if Kubiak was intending to light a fire under Dickerson, but if he was, I'd say he was successful. A few hours after Kubiak's comments, DIckerson posted this on his Twitter account:

"Never been givin anything in my whole life. Dont plan on having anything "givin" to me now."

So stay tuned, Texans fans. It should be a fun week watching the position battle at backup wide receiver.
http://www.examiner.com/houston-texa...er-competition
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011   #2
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: AJ:Kubiak concerned about backup receiver situation

This is the same guy who received miniscule production from his previous #4 WR (David Anderson), but is suddenly worried about that spot? I'd say Kubiak must be feeling pretty good about this team if this is one of his larger concerns.
Old 08-23-2011   #3
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Dickerson and Jean should be the 4th and 5th in no particular order.

Keep them both, play them both.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011   #4
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 169136 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Young receivers make impacts every year. Who cares?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011   #5
TdotTexas2Step
All Pro

Rep Power: 1976 TdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respected

As long as AJ doesn't go down, I feel really comfortable about our offense. WR is even less of a concern if Tate can keep moving forward.
TdotTexas2Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011   #6
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubes sending a message --- message received.
Old 08-23-2011   #7
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

He's concerned about having more talent and depth at the position since like...ever?

Yeah, clearly a ham-handed attempt at lighting a fire. That's fine if it works and it seems like it may have.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-23-2011   #8
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
This is the same guy who received miniscule production from his previous #4 WR (David Anderson), but is suddenly worried about that spot? I'd say Kubiak must be feeling pretty good about this team if this is one of his larger concerns.
You knew what you were getting from DA .... It wasnt going to be spectacular but you could expect him to be steady Im not so sure you can expect that from this group of recievers behind AJ & Walter .... consistancy is not something JJ is known for and the guy's ebhind him havent proven much at the NFL level.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011   #9
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 133123 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

we know who is going to be released now

Quote:
Dorin Dickerson
Lol so how about i was takin my sox off at my locker today and one of the flipped up and hit @johnson80 right in the mouth hahahaha!
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011   #10
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe the other WRs in camp might try to give DD and Jean some competition. That would probably motivate Dickerson more than anything Kubiak might slip to media.
Old 08-23-2011   #11
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I think the difference is David Anderson reached his full potential and went about as far as his athletic ability would take him. You can't really lecture someone into being taller and faster. However Dorin is a athletic freak, maybe Kubiak feels he isn't playing up to his full capabilities and is trying to kick him in the rear.

IDK, but I do have to say, I like this new Kubiak. Looks like someone is trying to get his feet out of the fire. It's do or die for him this year. No more Mr. Nice Guy.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011   #12
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30026 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

I said it once and I will say it again, I would've signed randy moss or edwards as my 2 and bumbed everyone else down. I would've truly tried to outscore teams and made teams account for my #2. Right now, teams don't respect the #2,#3,or #4 wr. If johnson gets hurt, its a wrap in terms of big plays in the passing game.
Old 08-24-2011   #13
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it's hard for any of these guys to distinguish themselves because they're not getting their passes thrown by Schaub. Leinart is throwing their passes and all he's been doing is short dump off stuff and not targeting the WR's down field much at all. I'd really like to see something from Jean, Dickerson, and Tolliver.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011   #14
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

We may be keeping Darling instead of Dickerson or Jean and put one on PS. Darling has been more of injury prone since he was drafted back in 2004 by Ravens. He did have 100 yds game back in 2007 and if he shows up in last two preseason games, we may ending up keeping this guy. May be I am reading too much into what Kubiak said about veteran WR but this is the only veteran WR I can think of from our current roster. May be we scoop someone after final roster cut or Kubiak is just telling Dickerson and Jean to step up. I don't know but it is a possibility.

Go Texans!!!
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011   #15
House of Pain
Knee-jerkless

Section: 106
Rep Power: 9340 House of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Kubiak is starting to go insane from withdrawals from not being able to use a 4th round pick on a TE...poor guy.
House of Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011   #16
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

House of Pain, if you made your Avatar a T-shirt, you would never have to work another day in your life.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011   #17
House of Pain
Knee-jerkless

Section: 106
Rep Power: 9340 House of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
House of Pain, if you made your Avatar a T-shirt, you would never have to work another day in your life.
point taken
House of Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011   #18
thetexanator
All Pro

Rep Power: 4489 thetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respected

if hes so worried about the 4 reciever maybe they should be seeing more time on the field instead of having JJ out there for 3 quarters. let them distinguish themselves instead of making JJ a focal point in preseason
thetexanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011   #19
CharloTex
All Pro

Section: Poolside
Rep Power: 23819 CharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by asleep View Post
Kubes sending a message --- message received.
This.

It's just Kubes stoking the WR fire, trying to see who's gonna take the hint and step it up.
CharloTex is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read