Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 08-23-2011   #1
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default It's just Pre Season........

I know it's just preseason, & it's just stats. But it kinda caught my eye, that the Redskins have the #1 offense .. & the #1 Defense. I haven't watched any of their games yet so I don't know what to make of it. But I've got a couple on the ol' DVR so I'm going to take a look.

I know it doesn't mean that they're Super Bowl favorites. But it's got to count for something right?
Old 08-23-2011   #2
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: It's just Pre Season........

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I know it's just preseason, & it's just stats. But it kinda caught my eye, that the Redskins have the #1 offense .. & the #1 Defense. I haven't watched any of their games yet so I don't know what to make of it. But I've got a couple on the ol' DVR so I'm going to take a look.

I know it doesn't mean that they're Super Bowl favorites. But it's got to count for something right?
Two words explain this: Dan Orlovsky
Old 08-23-2011   #3
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 51708 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

I'll say, Washington has been rocking and rolling lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011   #4
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 76577 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Like TK says, it's only preseason. They'll fold like a $2 suitcase starting about 09-11.

Hide-n-watch.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011   #5
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

the redskins are the Texans of the east now

or are we the redskins of Texas ???? LOL
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011   #6
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
the redskins are the Texans of the east now

or are we the redskins of Texas ???? LOL
In what way?
Old 08-23-2011   #7
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 51708 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
In what way?
In that "Norg sometimes don't make sense" way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-23-2011   #8
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakos82 View Post
In that "Norg sometimes don't make sense" way.
LOL...

"must spread"

No offense Norg...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011   #9
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 76577 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
In what way?
In a: you'll never get a direct, much less intelligent response from "that poster" way. JMO

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011   #10
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
In what way?

In terms of we are forever linked in Coaching psycology and the way they build da teams and in Offensive playbook ...... : )

Mike shannhan and Kubaik HELLO
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011   #11
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 59723 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

No.
Old 08-23-2011   #12
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 45478 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

What happened to the Lions when they went 4-0 in the pre-season in 2008 and had a defense that only gave up 32 points in those 4 games, by far the best in the NFL pre-season?

Their 4 wins:
13-10 over the Giants
27-10 over the Bengals
26-6 over the Browns
14-6 over the Bills

To keep you from Googling, I'll just give you the answer. They went 0-16.

Redskins? 16-7 over Pittsburgh. No scoring in the 1st quarter which means it was all done with 2nd and 3rd teamers.
And then 16-3 over a Manning-less Colts. A Colts team historically bad in pre-season anyway going 4-19 since 2006.

Pre-season records and stats are pretty meaningless.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011   #13
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
What happened to the Lions when they went 4-0 in the pre-season in 2008 and had a defense that only gave up 32 points in those 4 games, by far the best in the NFL pre-season?
I'm not talking about the W-L, I'm talking about them leading the league in offense & defense.

So Ben Tate gets 95 yards on 9 carries. Foster looks better than he did last year. Andre & Schaub looks like they're ready for the regular season. Mario IS improving.......

What does all that mean?

What does it mean that the Redskins are leading the league in offense & defense?
Old 08-23-2011   #14
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm not talking about the W-L, I'm talking about them leading the league in offense & defense.

So Ben Tate gets 95 yards on 9 carries. Foster looks better than he did last year. Andre & Schaub looks like they're ready for the regular season. Mario IS improving.......

What does all that mean?

What does it mean that the Redskins are leading the league in offense & defense?
Mayan Calendar Explanation? End of times?

"The dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, The Redskins leading in both offense and defense!... mass hysteria!"
Old 08-23-2011   #15
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Keith was on a roll and thanks to someone on this board, I have been reading this in the tone of "Real Men of Genius" .......... heres to to Fake Season Czar™

Quote:
August 21, 2011
All Hail The Fake Season Czar™
by Keith Weiland

Coach August would like to use this space to remind all of y'all that champions are made by how you practice, and especially by how you play these practice games. You see, these preseason victories give the team momentum, and that's just not something you flip on and off.

You probably think it's hard to flip it back on in the final month of the season, too, like when a team starts off 4-7 then really rips into it when it counts down the stretch. That's right. Coach August likes being Coach December, too. That's just how he rolls.

Hell yeah, the Texans whupped the Saints and Jets at home in fake games to start the preseason 2-0. Those are playoff teams, darn good ones, too. Their second and third stringers are really licking their wounds after making the trip to Gridiron, Texas, aren't they?

So damn right you better start printing those Super Bowl tickets. Mayor Annise Parker, if you haven't already drawn up the parade route, then you might as well punch FEMA into your speed dial. You're gonna want to go National Guard on this town once this team gets rolling.

These Texans are a juggernaut because the preseason tells us so. Buckle up, Space City. We are a go for launch. Once we get done with August, then look out for us come December because you know that The Fake Season Czar™ never loses in Week 17. That's right, 5-0 to close out every regular season, 'cause there's nothing like having that momentum heading into next August.

Oh snap, NFL! You just got served.
http://www.inthebullseye.com/
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011   #16
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

What does all that mean?

No more or less than what w/l record means. Teams play about 6 to 8 quarters of first team versus first team football out of 16. While I feel better about a team when it plays well, there have been more than enough studies floating around that show zero correlation between pre and regular season success no matter how measured record/yards/points/turnovers, etc.

All of that said, the Redskins could have a better than expected year as all three of their opponents in the NFC East look to be overrated with clear holes. The key will be whether or not Beck or Grossman plays to at least an acceptable level. I don't think they are as far from their foes as some (maybe many) think.
Old 08-23-2011   #17
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Rep Power: 45478 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

What does all that mean?

The Lions led the league in points allowed. It doesn't mean anything.

Tate and Foster looked good. For ONE QUARTER OF PLAY by each so far. Foster at least has 16 games under his belt. Tate is still wait and see. He's only played a quarter and 2 plays in his career so far and all of that is pre-season.

What do the Redskins starters look like?

There's so many different units going into these games, players that would normally play 4 quarters playing just one, you just can't go by stats to tell you anything because they're not real. It's not how a real football game is played. It doesn't matter how the 2nd and 3rd string adds to the pre-season stat sheet, they won't be on the field come Sept. 11, so those stats don't really mean anything.

Even when you look at individual stats, you've got to look at who they played against. Was he in there against the 1st unit? 2nd, 3rd?

The Steelers D is ranked 31. I guess they're going to suck this year.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Old 08-23-2011   #18
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Oh, and for what it's worth, the Texans were ranked 9th in total defense last pre-season. That's right, the Texans defense was top 10 in the NFL last pre-season.

That should tell you everything you need to know about pre-season stats.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Old 08-23-2011   #19
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Mayan Calendar Explanation? End of times?

"The dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, The Redskins leading in both offense and defense!... mass hysteria!"
That's what I was afraid of.
Old 08-31-2011   #20
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

So here we go again... this time it's the Texans.

this thread is full of a lot of negatism (I think that's a word). Preseason don't mean crap kind of talk.

Which is bullshit. If it didn't mean anything, then why would they do it.

Think about it, if you are a coach & this is how your team performed in the preseason, what does it tell you?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read