Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-22-2011   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Payton Not Sugar Coating Saturday Night

Even though it's a preseason win, it's still refreshing for once reading, for the most part (despite the title), essentially how good we were, instead of how bad "they" were.

From The Times-Picayune:

New Orleans Saints' play vs. Texans downright dismal
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011   #2
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135993 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Payton Not Sugar Coating Saturday Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Even though it's a preseason win, it's still refreshing for once reading, for the most part (despite the title), essentially how good we were, instead of how bad "they" were.

From The Times-Picayune:

New Orleans Saints' play vs. Texans downright dismal
I got the exact opposite impression reading the article.

It's all about how bad THEY were.
Old 08-23-2011   #3
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Honestly I wish the teams performances would have been turned around because based upon what I'm hearing, this is all going to be nothing but motivational material for the Saints when the Texans visit NOLA during the regular season.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011   #4
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Gary Kubiak is into his sixth season in Houston without a playoff appearance, an NFL rarity.
The only reason he wasn't fired after an injury-scarred 6-10 finish was an agreement to bring in a new defensive coordinator, which turned out to be Wade Phillips.
Kubiak's challenge remains cast in stone: Make the playoffs or walk the plank.
Going into his sixth season as well, Sean Payton, at the moment, faces no such challenge. He's made three playoffs, won a Super Bowl, reached two conference championships.
On NFL Sundays, it means his Saints, a recent world champion with some vital pieces still in place, will be taken more seriously by the opposition...
Old 08-23-2011   #5
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 615 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Honestly I wish the teams performances would have been turned around because based upon what I'm hearing, this is all going to be nothing but motivational material for the Saints when the Texans visit NOLA during the regular season.
That was exactly how I felt while reading the article.
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011   #6
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 158369 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post

Yeah, the author thought they played pretty poorly, but at leat Payton summed it up nicely:
Quote:
"You can't sugarcoat it, we got whipped,'' he said.
Old 08-23-2011   #7
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I don't really mind that, considering it's a New Orleans paper.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-23-2011   #8
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 107220 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanfan2002114 View Post
That was exactly how I felt while reading the article.
During the game I kept thinking, this is how we looked against the cowboys last preseason.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011   #9
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
During the game I kept thinking, this is how we looked against the cowboys last preseason.

Mike
This is a bad mindset.

So we should have rolled over and got our butts kicked...so that WE would have the motivation to win the reg season matchup and THEY would be over-confident? WTH? Seriously?

If the Texans are for real, they kick people's butt in any circumstance. It would make a statement to have beaten them here in preseason and then go into their house and beat them in their stadium during reg season.

I'm glad they whipped the Saints in the preseason. And I have a feeling Wade Phillips is not going to let us have a DeMeco "It's Just Another Game To Us" Ryans moment. That was a Richard Smith-Frank Bush era mindset.
Old 08-23-2011   #10
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
This is a bad mindset.

So we should have rolled over and got our butts kicked...so that WE would have the motivation to win the reg season matchup and THEY would be over-confident? WTH? Seriously?

If the Texans are for real, they kick people's butt in any circumstance. It would make a statement to have beaten them here in preseason and then go into their house and beat them in their stadium during reg season.

I'm glad they whipped the Saints in the preseason. And I have a feeling Wade Phillips is not going to let us have a DeMeco "It's Just Another Game To Us" Ryans moment. That was a Richard Smith-Frank Bush era mindset.
This is what we've all talked about that we need to develop. We've been saying all along that good teams win the ones they're supposed to win, and win at least some they are not expected to win. This year the team needs to feel good about every game they win that they should win.........and kick themselves in the butt for every game they lose that they are not expected to win.............in other words, a "take no prisoners" attitude.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011   #11
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well we better play every team poorly so they will not put it on their lockers and get us "next time". If we are a quality team, I am not gonna worry about another team getting emotionally high and beating us. I think a solid tackle, long pass, sack or INT, pound it down their throat running game, etc can knock the air right out of motivation.
Old 08-23-2011   #12
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 85971 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

That is what I got from the article, not that the Texans played good, the Saints played horrible and embarrassed themselves...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Fitzmagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011   #13
RazorOye
Ayo

Rep Power: 43676 RazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
That is what I got from the article, not that the Texans played good, the Saints played horrible and embarrassed themselves...
I thought there were several comments that were complimentary of the Texans and their play.

In a game like this, it's usually a combination of a team playing poorly and another team playing well.

I found comments along both lines - among the complimentary:

on the Texans offensive dominance (as opposed to phrasing it as 'Saints poor defensive performance'):

Quote:
In the opening 30 minutes, the Texans were so dominant in carving out double-digit yardage, quarterback Matt Schaub seldom faced the question: "What do I call on third down?"
on Schaub's reputation in the NFL and the ease with which the offense moved and how efficiently they clicked:
Quote:
On Saturday, for the NFL's most underrated quarterback, two downs were all it took to keep the chains moving.
On Johnson's performance (as opposed to blaming the popular whipping post, Paul Oliver):

Quote:
And there was All-Pro target Andre Johnson on Saturday, in something close to a cameo appearance, catching four passes for 100 yards.
On Arian Foster - props for his play last year and in the game:
Quote:
Arian Foster, who lead the league last season in rushing (1,616 yards), rushing touchdowns (16) and yards per game (101 yards), was having a ball, carrying it five times for 47 yards that included a 28-yarder for one of his two touchdowns.

Foster, an explosive package at 6-1, 227, seemed to be skating on ice as he darted here and there.
And Ben Tate getting some props:
Quote:
When Foster didn't have the ball, it seemed Ben Tate did, nine times for 95 yards, including a 43-yarder.

Tate, who missed his rookie season because of a broken ankle, spent his time using power and quick feet to break one tackle after another.
Those were the comments from the description of the Texans' offensive performance. I didn't see anything that talked about the Saints defense or blaming Oliver or poor tackling or vanilla scheming or lack of pressure or anything else. So I don't know how people are reading this coming to the conclusion that he didn't talk about the Texans playing well.

It's pretty clear to me that he did.

If anything, I could see an argument that he shortchanged the defense since he didn't mention much about the Texans' D.

Personally, I thought the best unit on both teams on both sides of the ball was the Texans offense.

And reading the article, I think the writer came to the same conclusion and gave props without looking for excuses or saying that the Texans did well because of the Saints' D. The Texans offense appeared to be given credit of their own.

Did he mention the Saints playing badly?

Of course. Because they did.

But to say that he didn't say the "Texans played good" doesn't seem accurate at all.
RazorOye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011   #14
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
This is what we've all talked about that we need to develop. We've been saying all along that good teams win the ones they're supposed to win, and win at least some they are not expected to win. This year the team needs to feel good about every game they win that they should win.........and kick themselves in the butt for every game they lose that they are not expected to win.............in other words, a "take no prisoners" attitude.
^^^^^
THIS
We shouldn't care who the opponent is. We should expect to win whenever we take the field.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011   #15
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Section: Wolfies, Table 16
Rep Power: 4783 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected

Even if, as has been stated, they are not giving the Texans their due, we have yet to earn it on the field in meaningful games. 6-10 does not garner a lot of respect coming into the next season, so when the Saints, a playoff team last year who embarressed themselves against the seahawks, lose to the 6-10 Texans, suffice it to say, until proven in the regular season, the Saints moreso embarressed themselves than the Texans playing well.

You have to see things from an outside perspective as well, though we as fans think there should be no other perspective, there, unfortunately, is. I do think the Texans look a lot better, but until we come out on the field on September 11, and maintain a consistency throughout the season, you will see no such respect thrown in our direction.
Perki-Perk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011   #16
Giant Tiger
Hall of Fame

Location: Smiths Falls, Heart of the Rideau Canal-UNESCO World Heritage Site
Rep Power: 10634 Giant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respected
Post Re: Payton Not Sugar Coating Saturday Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post

Mike
I thought of that, too. It'll be interesting to see how we do in a rematch that counts. BTW, I won a bet against a coworker who's a Saints fan & he's not too concerned about the game in September. I really want that game.
Old 08-24-2011   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perki-Perk View Post
Even if, as has been stated, they are not giving the Texans their due, we have yet to earn it on the field in meaningful games.
Not you in particular..... but some people need to seriously work on their reading & analysis skills.

CnD didn't say squat about the author of that f'ggn article giving the Texans 'spect. He said Payton isn't sugar coating anything.

If you read the words of that article directly ascribed to Sean Payton (it will be the part in quotation marks followed (or sometimes preceeded) by Payton's name).
Old 08-24-2011   #18
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Section: Wolfies, Table 16
Rep Power: 4783 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Not you in particular..... but some people need to seriously work on their reading & analysis skills.

CnD didn't say squat about the author of that f'ggn article giving the Texans 'spect. He said Payton isn't sugar coating anything.

If you read the words of that article directly ascribed to Sean Payton (it will be the part in quotation marks followed (or sometimes preceeded) by Payton's name).
Looky hurr thunderkyss, I wudn't rafurrin to CnD, but uda poastas in dis thread. How's that for grammar!?
Perki-Perk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011   #19
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perki-Perk View Post
Looky hurr thunderkyss, I wudn't rafurrin to CnD, but uda poastas in dis thread. How's that for grammar!?
I was basically agreeing with you.

I explicitly said I wasn't referring to you.

& nothing in my post referred to grammar.

Old 08-25-2011   #20
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24061 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's weak. WGAS what their motivation is, our job is to kick their azz and I expect that the texans will do it again when it counts. Either you bring it to NO and kick their azz or just stfu and keep losing. Their (texan's) choice.
MEGA SWATT is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read