Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-22-2011   #1
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default But it's just preseason.....

That's all I heard on the radio today when I streamed 610am. The game they kept point to was the Dallas preseason game last year when we killed them and then got beat by them in the regular season.

I'd like to point out a few things from that preseason that indeed were a direct indication of what our season ended up being. Then I'd like to point out a few things to consider with the Saints game.

Remember when we played the Cardinals? Yes we dominated that game all day until the end of the 4th quarter and we allowed a rookie QB (who I liked) to drive his team all the way down for a winning TD. Sound familiar in the regular season?

Then we went to New Orleans and they were going bombs away on us and they were simply executing offense on us while ours took a while to get going. Sound familiar in the regular season? I think of the NYG, and at Indy game.

Then in the third game, the one where most of the starters play and where we were to have more of an indication of what to expect from our team and we go and hand it to Dallas. Now when we played them in the regular season it was a different story but we did have two games where we played at a high level - 1st Indy game and I would even say the game vs. The Raiders.

Then we had the game vs. Buccaneers at home. That game is always a last game for certain players to solidify their spot but does anyone remember that rookie receiver, Arelious Ben that caught a game winning TD and noone could stop him and that young QB?

Let's take a look at 2009 Preseason, which was the year when everyone was running for huge yards on us.

We went to KC and we barely pulled out that game, and Casey had a really good game. Seems like he's doing well right now.

Then we go to New Orleans and Mike Bell is running up and down on us getting all his revenge on us for letting him go and we are all screaming, it's just preseason!

Minnesota comes to us and Adrian Peterson goes bananas on us. We are all saying "Well...it's Adrian Peterson and we are playing very vanilla."

We played The Bucs next and they just handed it to us IIRC.

Point is that two years of football were played and each of those preseasons were a direct indication of what happened with our team.

This game vs. The Saints. Were both teams vanilla? I would say so. These two teams will meet in the regular season and Wade has indicated that we've been base quite a bit. However, we can't write off the things we did right and/or the things we did wrong.

What I'm getting from the D after two preseason games is that we are going to give up yards but we are also going to be able to keep teams from scoring TDs. Everyone talks about how New Orleans started to dominate if not for the turnover but a turnover is what it is and their first TD had to be made on a 4th down call after our D just gave up a huge pass play. I'm also not too sure New Orleans goes for it in that situation that early in the game (maybe they do).

What I'm getting from the O in the last two preseason games is that we got some depth at all positions except for the WR position and the passing game is going to be more open when Foster is in the lineup. With everyone healthy we are an explosive and very good offense.

Can this team put that into the regular season has yet to be seen but don't think it can't happen just because it's preseason.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011   #2
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 60434 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: But it's just preseason.....

So we should expect another crappy season but with better stats?
Old 08-22-2011   #3
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

It is pre-season & I doubt any fan thinks it is other. Still it gives us time to watch players and coaches. It is often a fun time and interesting one which allows fans to debate and get re-optimisticated (new word). Compare to a short time ago when there was no guaranttee of any season, I'll take it with a smile on my lips and hope for my #2 corner in my heart.
Old 08-22-2011   #4
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

This offense was just as capable last year but they still have to show it during the regular season and do it consistently all game...

Impressed? Sure! Satisfied and content? Nope...

We'll see...
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011   #5
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
So we should expect another crappy season but with better stats?
I think we can expect a team where we give up yards but this time no TDs because we will be a much tighter D in that situation along with a more opportunistic D with more turnovers. That should translate to more wins for this team. Last year we had to win shootouts because we were giving up TDs with all those yards.
Old 08-22-2011   #6
ESAD2-14
TexanAmerican

Rep Power: 17283 ESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respected

After the first two pre-season games I am still worried about our pass D/Secondary. Perhaps not as much as last year, with the additions of J.Joseph and Manning, but still worried.
Old 08-22-2011   #7
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESAD2-14 View Post
After the first two pre-season games I am still worried about our pass D/Secondary. Perhaps not as much as last year, with the additions of J.Joseph and Manning, but still worried.
JJo not being out there is another thing to consider and I believe we have the right to assume that the D will play better with a CB like Joseph out there.
Sponsored links
Old 08-22-2011   #8
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Section: Wolfies, Table 16
Rep Power: 4783 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESAD2-14 View Post
I was especially worried when one of our new free agent "gems" got beat deep and a facemask full of grass. Yikes!
Perki-Perk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011   #9
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Section: Wolfies, Table 16
Rep Power: 4783 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
JJo not being out there is another thing to consider and I believe we have the right to assume that the D will play better with a CB like Joseph out there.
Thank you for finishing the other half of my thought! Maybe that's why I forgot to add it...haha
Perki-Perk is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read