Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-22-2011   #1
ToxicButt
Rookie

Rep Power: 140 ToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Conner Barwin - kinda invisible thus far

Folks talk about mario b/c he was a #1 pick, but let's discuss the presumed starting OLB on the other side.

I haven't seen Barwin pressure the qb or make plays in the run game. Has anyone seen production from Barwin?
ToxicButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011   #2
ATRAIN
ATX TEXANS FAN

Rep Power: 936 ATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Conner Barwin - kinda invisible thus far

He has been in there applying pressure. I like him a lot but I would rather have Reed in there in his place.
ATRAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011   #3
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

He's on the strongside and drops back in coverage more. I've seen him in the backfield a bit (was in there on the Smith forced fumble of Brees). Overall he hasn't looked spectacular but he's done is assignment. I think he's done well overall, not exactly "lighting it up" but from what I can tell he's done the typical "gap control" and done what he's supposed to. I know of another play where he stayed on the outside which forced Brees to throw over him and thus overthrew the WR.

I couldn't tell you Barwin or Reed at this point. Reed looked awesome against the Saints backups. But I can see Barwin's play being one where fans aren't impressed but that the coaches really like.

Regardless, I think alternating between Reed and Barwin throughout the season keeping them each fresh is going to be studly.

Speaking of studly. JJ Watt for All Pro.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011   #4
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
He's on the strongside and drops back in coverage more. I've seen him in the backfield a bit (was in there on the Smith forced fumble of Brees). Overall he hasn't looked spectacular but he's done is assignment. I think he's done well overall, not exactly "lighting it up" but from what I can tell he's done the typical "gap control" and done what he's supposed to. I know of another play where he stayed on the outside which forced Brees to throw over him and thus overthrew the WR.

I couldn't tell you Barwin or Reed at this point. Reed looked awesome against the Saints backups. But I can see Barwin's play being one where fans aren't impressed but that the coaches really like.

Regardless, I think alternating between Reed and Barwin throughout the season keeping them each fresh is going to be studly.

Speaking of studly. JJ Watt for All Pro.
I agree with your assesment of Barwin's play and that of Reed as well.

To the bolded, as someone posted some time back, I can see JJ Watt as DROY. Go JJ SWatt!

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011   #5
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxicButt View Post
Folks talk about mario b/c he was a #1 pick, but let's discuss the presumed starting OLB on the other side.

I haven't seen Barwin pressure the qb or make plays in the run game. Has anyone seen production from Barwin?
Barwin isn't MW, so expectations aren't the same. Barwin also fits the 'tweener mold better than MW. Barwin isn't making $14mil this season. Barwin isn't in the same universe of potential trade value as MW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
I agree with your assesment of Barwin's play and that of Reed as well.

To the bolded, as someone posted some time back, I can see JJ Watt as DROY. Go JJ SWatt!
I sure hope we make the playoffs. It would be downright embarrassing to have 3 DROY's on the field and not get there with a top5 offense.
Old 08-22-2011   #6
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 81301 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Barwin will be fine. We already know what kind of player he is after he ramps up.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011   #7
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Section: Wolfies, Table 16
Rep Power: 4783 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
Barwin will be fine. We already know what kind of player he is after he ramps up.
Do we really?? You can tell that from the 4 preseason games last year and the 1/2 game against the Colts??
Perki-Perk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-23-2011   #8
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

He's the most fluid coverage LBer there is on the team, that's for damn sure. I'm certain that once Wade opens up the playbook to some of the fun stuff Barwin is going to be impacting games for us. Across from Mario and not one of the hand down guys though, with the vanilla fest we've got going he's not going to be rushing much.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011   #9
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 81301 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perki-Perk View Post
Do we really?? You can tell that from the 4 preseason games last year and the 1/2 game against the Colts??
Why omit his entire rookie season? Expectations of him were high that season and he met them.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011   #10
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 47294 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

The same thing could be said about both DeMeco and Cushing, but like Barwin they are coming off of 2010 injurys and/or surgery/rehab.
You know how everybody likes to say, "oh they'll be OK, just like new this year " ? Well we are now confronted by the reality that they won't be, atleast probably not this year.
The kind of injurys Barwin and DeMeco had are big time injurys, and the best case scenario is that they make a full-recovery but ones taking multi years and not a single season.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011   #11
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
The same thing could be said about both DeMeco and Cushing, but like Barwin they are coming off of 2010 injurys and/or surgery/rehab.
You know how everybody likes to say, "oh they'll be OK, just like new this year " ? Well we are now confronted by the reality that they won't be, atleast probably not this year.
The kind of injurys Barwin and DeMeco had are big time injurys, and the best case scenario is that they make a full-recovery but ones taking multi years and not a single season.
I'm not so sure I agree with you recovery assesment. Meco's achilles injury, accoriding to our very own resident surgeon is by far the injury that takes the longest and has the lowest % of returning to what the player was prior to the injury. Barwin's was much closer to what Ben Tate suffered. Both he and Barwin seem to be going like they've not missed a step while DeMeco is coming along more slowly just as Doc's prognosis indicated.

My hope is he continues to regain strength and mobility with no setbacks to be back to full form by next season. My

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011   #12
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90074 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

I didn't think he was that invisible in the 49ers game.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011   #13
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 290332 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I didn't think he was that invisible in the 49ers game.
He was pretty invisible to their offensive linemen. They apparently couldn't see him at all. He was all over the QB.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011   #14
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31977 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

I think there's gonna be one or two players that standout evry week. Last week was Reed and this week was Barwin.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011   #15
headsplint
All Pro

Rep Power: 1332 headsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
I think there's gonna be one or two players that standout evry week. Last week was Reed and this week was Barwin.
I think...this may be the sign of a good defense? You try to game plan and maybe direct the focus to a couple of key guys, and it frees someone else up. I might be reaching with that, but man it really feels like we have some talent with some direction now.
Old 08-28-2011   #16
80tothezone
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5079 80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
You got to admit though the D looks stout this yr or more stout than last yr mw last night bought some more time in my book and barwin was in there with him and jj making plays I think you got to see wp's D with the leashes off.... Regardless this is the best D we have ever fielded. Still not against trading mw but I don't think it will be done and fine with barwin as a starter at olb

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
Old 08-29-2011   #17
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by headsplint View Post
I think...this may be the sign of a good defense? You try to game plan and maybe direct the focus to a couple of key guys, and it frees someone else up. I might be reaching with that, but man it really feels like we have some talent with some direction now.
I agree, I think that is the sign of a good team. I'd much rather have different guys standout throughout the year than just have 1 player that does well.

I also think it's due to some competition. Reed has a good game against NO and Barwin knows he's got to keep it coming to maintain his starting spot. The competition is going to help this team so much. They make each other better. Can't wait to see a good rotation and have a fresh pass rusher every single snap!
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Old 10-14-2011   #18
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

With the loss of Mario for the season Barwin and Reed are both going to have to step up big time.

Not sure Wade's plan, but I'd like Reed to fill in for Mario on the weakside and have Barwin continue on the strongside. I've been watching CB98 each homegame and have been pretty impressed with him. He's doing a fine job when dropping in coverage - forcing the QB to alter his passing lane or throw. He's had a couple sacks now and that huge blocked pass against the Steelers. I think he's doing everything Wade is asking him to do from an x's and o's standpoint.

I hope Reed steps up and plays like he can. I love his tomahawk chop when he sacks the QB. Let's get some forced fumbles and sacks!!
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Old 10-14-2011   #19
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
With the loss of Mario for the season Barwin and Reed are both going to have to step up big time.

Not sure Wade's plan, but I'd like Reed to fill in for Mario on the weakside and have Barwin continue on the strongside. I've been watching CB98 each homegame and have been pretty impressed with him. He's doing a fine job when dropping in coverage - forcing the QB to alter his passing lane or throw. He's had a couple sacks now and that huge blocked pass against the Steelers. I think he's doing everything Wade is asking him to do from an x's and o's standpoint.

I hope Reed steps up and plays like he can. I love his tomahawk chop when he sacks the QB. Let's get some forced fumbles and sacks!!
LZ has been pretty emphatic that Reed is more of a strongside LB with better coverage skills than rush skills.

It should be interesting to see who plays which side.
Old 10-14-2011   #20
80tothezone
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5079 80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perki-Perk View Post
doesn't he have 2 sacks?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read