Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-22-2011   #1
80tothezone
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5079 80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected
Default I got good news about the D

Ok so it is sunday night and I had DVR'd the game from last night, well actually for some reason it only recorded starting with the 2 play drive by the saints for their second touchdown. I came to to conclusions based on what I could review.
SOthe good news I think we have the personnel that we need on D. Nobody really got burned or blown up as far as I could see and we didn't have cushing or ryans in at this time. SO I think based on what I saw that we don't really need to go after anyone. Now there are a couple plays that went for big yardage that one might say means we need personnel changes or upgrades in certain areas

FIrst play was the first play of the 2 play touchdown drive that led to the score. You had sharpton and # 51 (dont remember who that is) in the middle and the TE ran a cross rout where he was the responsibility of the lilb where cushing wil normally be playing and he simply wasn't fast enough to catch him. I think when cushing is in there he is fast enough to keep up wiht these guys and that play never happens.

The next play is the one that goes to the endzone to their #13 and at first glance it looks like he burned manning for the TD. In reality Manning was late getting over which I think can be racked up to the new D.

Then you had the run by sproles which I know was not their only big run but it was the only one I had the film on. First off the situation is less thatn 2 mins in the half so everyone is thinking pass you can even seea;; the backs and backers take a step back when the ball is hiked and the lineman bullrush. Actually though Quinn made the right read and woulda had him at the line if he had come 1/2 second early or if he vame at a slightly differen angle. On the line if smith had diped and ripped instead of swating to the inside he woulda stopped em too. The only block they really got off was on sharpton.

Anyway bottom line is that when we are getting "burned" it is coachable things like reads position and pursuit. Problems that might linger early into the season but would hopefully be mostly shored up by week 3 ish. Also good news is that these mistakes are fewer and farther between than they have been in the past, and I think they looked much better (even mario) than they did last week. Now only time will tell but I think that we have the D we need and it will get better as the season progresses.

One last thing wit ha gigantic smile on my face I completly eat my words on Casey dude is fo real... hope he holds up but dude can block and catch and run.

Oh btw I am re recording the game on thurs at 6 am so then I will look at the rest of the first half and see a lil more.

and actually the one who got beat on the TE play was # 91

Last edited by 80tothezone; 08-22-2011 at 02:28 AM. Reason: add a ps
80tothezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011   #2
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 241723 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: I got good news about the D

You need to watch the first Saints drive where they repeatedly ran between the tackles with success. The only thing that saved us from being down 7-zip was that Sean Payton outsmarted himself and went from a successful running attack and tried to pass ....from the 4 yd line. The Saints faithful must have gone bananas.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011   #3
sakebomb
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1859 sakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
The only thing that saved us from being down 7-zip was that Sean Payton outsmarted himself and went from a successful running attack and tried to pass ....from the 4 yd line. The Saints faithful must have gone bananas.
I call this "Kubiaking".
Old 08-22-2011   #4
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, the good news is......THERE IS GOOD NEWS ABOUT THE DEFENSE hahaha....

The bad news is there isn't a DT on the roster who can pepto bismol the interior. Stop the runs that is.

But that boy Ben Tate ooooooh he got runs like diarhea!!!!
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011   #5
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

We're small up front on defense and it's not just at NT because at 'bout 275 Antonio Smith is an undersized 3-4 DE which is a liabilty for our rushing-defense. This is just one more reason to move the bigger, stronger Mario up to the DLine AND replace him with a better edge-rusher at OLB like Brooks Reed.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011   #6
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

I will spin this into some good news.

Sure our run D is a concern right now. But if I am correct, the defense has forced 11 sacks so far this preseason and has created turnovers as a result. And we havent gotten to see any of our next level blitz packages yet unless I am missing something.

So if we can constantly get pressure on the QB then I think that can play in perfectly with our Offense... if it can be as dynamic and consistent as we know it can and should be. If we are scoring plenty of points, then our Run D weakness will not be as big of a factor when teams are trying to keep pace or catch up during games. Theoretically they will be forced to pass more and if we can keep the pressure and create a turnover or two it just may be enough to keep our offense in front.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011   #7
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

The good news is Wade made improvement between games and he should be able to keep doing do. The good news is it will not take much better to make the Texans into a much better team. Coach them up Phillips. Bum showed the Dline how to fall down in front of the ball carrier, if anyone was watching the sidelines.
Old 08-22-2011   #8
80tothezone
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5079 80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected

I guess what I am saying is that it looks like the problems we have are not because we don't have the right talent on D . Take the run by sproles our dt occupied 2 blockers that is what he issupposed to do. We sounds had him in th backfield if Quin
n wraps up.... also like I said this is based on the end of the first half will reevaluate when I get to see the whole game

Also we don't need a d that holds them to 7. Long as they holden to less than 20that we go 10-6

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read