Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-21-2011   #1
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The battle for #2 CB is on

And so far KJ is ahead.

In the Jets game, KJ gave up a 6yd catch playing off-man and an 11-yd slant.
Allen gave up a 5-yd catch playing off-man and a 12yd slant.

Pretty much a wash.

In the Saints game, KJ made the tackle on a 9yd pass to Moore in the outside flat on the second play, but that was in zone. The Texans' scheme simply didn't have a defender close enough to defend the play better.

Allen made a tackle on a 19yd pass to Moore in Cover 3.
Allen lined up on Moore, but did not squeeze the skinny post route.
I would chalk this one to Manning or split the responsibility between the two.
Those who wants to see their CB to "man up" would have to put this one on Allen though.

On the 56yd TD pass to Morgan, KJ simply didn't follow the receiver.
It looks like he was playing underneath all the way.
Replay shows that Manning bit a head fake by the receiver Morgan (pretending to cut behind KJ to the outside.)
In this coverage call (if there was no miscommunication involved), this one was on Manning.

On the 43-yd pass to Meachem (which could have been a 51-yd TD easily), Allen was learning the back pedal anew and it showed he wasn't very good at it.
From the replay, Yeap, Allen "fell down" comig off his backpedal and allowed the receiver to run free to the outside.
The replay is from the Saints feed; the Texans' feed didn't have it
- Spencer Tilman probably deleted it intentionally to cover up for his boy Allen

Screen shots will follow when I have some time.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011   #2
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

On the long pass play, I think kj did the wrong thing. But manning cannot let a guy get up over the top of him like that regardless.

I think at this point it's still not decided, but in curious why you left out the two pass break ups by Allen, especially the one on the slant route near the end zone?

And you think kj is only slightly ahead? Of a scrub that spends more time on the floor than he does?

If kj is really good and better than many think, why is there even competition going in there? Maybe they are closer in play level than some thought?

I think that it's not decided at this point, but I will say that Kareem has stepped his game up. He looks a lot more confident and for the most part he's covered well. I'd still like to see him get his hands on some passes, but I'm happy that he hasnt been a huge liability.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011   #3
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The battle for #2 CB is on

Basing things off of our 2 preseason games alone, I'd agree that KJ is winning.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011   #4
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

76, don't you think its a little harsh to be calling out KJ and labelling him as even-stevens with the first round bust off the street?

Give him a break man
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011   #5
TdotTexas2Step
All Pro

Rep Power: 1975 TdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respected

Being 5 years younger, I think it's in the franchise's best long term interest to have Kareem win this battle out.

Studying how Joseph goes about his business will also certainly help out.

Besides, if KJ doesn't pick it up, he may be following Allen's career path in the not too distant future.
TdotTexas2Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011   #6
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 199795 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
On the 56yd TD pass to Morgan, KJ simply didn't follow the receiver.
It looks like he was playing underneath all the way.
Replay shows that Manning bit a head fake by the receiver Morgan (pretending to cut behind KJ to the outside.)
In this coverage call (if there was no miscommunication involved), this one was on Manning.
According to Kubiak, there was a mistake. They were playing quarters and someone (like KJ, I think) thought they were playing halves.

In halves, KJ would have had the underneath and Manning would have had the deep zone. In quarters, that route looks like it's right along the seam but KJ should have taken that guy. Manning probably shouldn't have allowed the guy to get deeper than him but I don't think it was strictly his responsibility on that one.

So I blame KJ on that one.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011   #7
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14152 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm glad someone made a KJ thread because IMO all that matters is he has improved from last season. He didn't look great in the Saints or Jets game, but he didn't look bad either.

Overall he's had two pretty quiet games, which for a CB is a very good thing. It did look like on that one TD in the Saints game there was some miscommunication as the guy went right past him and he let him go, but that's what Preseason is for to get those things worked out.

I think KJ has looked better thus far. Allen was simply burned on that Meachem TD and that just simply can't do.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-22-2011   #8
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

KJ is good at all the shallow stuff. He's very much like Dunta Robinson, though I think DR was a bit better at deeper stuff than KJ is at this point.

If a WR catches a slant or a curl or some other quick route, KJ is pretty solid in the tackling area of playing CB out there.

But if he has to cover large swaths of field, running WITH a WR and keeping in the better position the whole time...he seems to lose focus and ends up trailing the WR too far. And he doesn't have the twitch speed to make up those lost steps. IMO, of course.

I'd like to see KJ being allowed to jam the WR at the line, but at snap he gets to drop back quickly and one of our LBs also drops back to cover a shallow area where the WR is at...while KJ is preparing for deeper moves the WR might make. Then the LB can continue to pursue the short pass to that WR, or pass him off to KJ if a RB wheels out to that side and the LB has to cover the safety valve RB on that play (if there is one).

You're just going to have to protect the guy with more than pure Safety help from Manning or Quin. Otherwise, IMO, teams will exploit Manning/Quin always helping KJ out. It'll be Pick Your Poison time out there.

To me, Jason Allen should be out there as much as we can stand to see him out there. At least in the 2011 season, and allow KJ to slow down and pick up the 3-4 system WP is teaching here. Just my $0.02 though.
Old 08-22-2011   #9
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

As long as KJ side is pretty quiet like last 2 preseason games, I am OK with it. Glad this isn't for #1 CB battle which would have been the case for last season.

Go Texans!!!
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011   #10
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

On that bomb to morgan, it appeared to be cover 3 or quarters. In any case, unless there a guy threatening the flat,the defender carriies the wr.
Old 08-22-2011   #11
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6021 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
On that bomb to morgan, it appeared to be cover 3 or quarters. In any case, unless there a guy threatening the flat,the defender carriies the wr.
In his day after presser, Kubiak said they were actually in halves but somebody thought they were in quarters. I'm much of an X's and O's type person but I think halves means the receiver was the CB's responsibility.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011   #12
sakebomb
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1859 sakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respected

Is the battle for who is playing better or who sucks less?
Old 08-22-2011   #13
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235029 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
Basing things off of our 2 preseason games alone, I'd agree that KJ is winning.
I agree, and did Manning look to either be slow afoot, slow flip, or slow decision on that play?
Old 08-22-2011   #14
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

So in the 3.5 seconds it's been since your last "KJ is a future HOF CB" thread he's gone from future HOF CB to greatest of all times!!!

GREAT news!!

Except.....

2 preseason games does not a bad rookie season undo. To be honest, it looks as if he has stepped his game up. Which is good but that's what is supposed to happen, so it's not that big of a check mark. The coverage units have been satisfactory to me so far and it's been with Allen at the top. KJ doesn't just need to be ahead by a little. KJ needs to go big, bad wolf and blow this door down.

Look, I'll be stoked IF it happens but we don't need another thread tomorrow or next week or until the games start counting about the baby steps Kareem is a year late on.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011   #15
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

From what I've seen, Jackson has improved from last year. And this past game seemed to be more professional looking than the previous preseason game. At this point, that's all I'm really asking for. I want to see steady improvement from Jackson and Mario (among other players).

He's been beat a few times and he's blanketed his receiver some. That penalty Quin got, the contact before the throw, where he tripped up on the TE.... Jackson was on his receiver the entire way down the field and to the endzone. I'm cautiously optimistic that he's progressing.

Allen to me is not a special CB and I think most of us like him because he's a little more consistent than Jackson. He's a solid corner. I'm hoping Joseph really looks like a legit #1 and that it helps Allen and Jackson mature on this team. When Allen got beat I was like 'well I think Jackson is in the lead now'. Then a couple plays later Allen had that GREAT pass breakup on the slant route and was thinking 'well I think Allen just went back in the lead!' LOL

All I want to see is steady improvement. I want to see Jackson continue learning, developing and getting comfortable. If he supplants Allen halfway through the season and becomes an adequate starting #2 corner then that's all we need and I'll be happy.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011   #16
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52757 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

Having Allen and Jackson fight it out for #2 CB is like fighting over Rosie O'Donnell or Janet Reno to be your next girlfriend.
Old 08-22-2011   #17
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 199795 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherstang84 View Post
In his day after presser, Kubiak said they were actually in halves but somebody thought they were in quarters. I'm much of an X's and O's type person but I think halves means the receiver was the CB's responsibility.
I thought it was the other way around. i thought they were in quarters but someone thought they were in halves.

If they were in halves, then KJ played it right and it was Manning's man. KJ had the underneath zone and had to hand off his guy to Manning.

If they were in quarters, then KJ played it wrong and should have stayed on the guy but Manning shouldn't have let the guy get past him, either. KJ would have had the deep right side of the field and Manning would have the deep zone in the right middle of the field.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011   #18
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

On the long td, home boy was fast. Even without a MA, it's tough to stop very fast.
Old 08-22-2011   #19
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the battle needs to go between McMannis and Allen. McMannis is the only one I see making a play every week.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011   #20
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Battle? Maybe a "my daddy can whip your daddy" name calling.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read