Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-21-2011   #1
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 78686 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Bobby Hebert on Saints/Houston: ''Embarrassing''....HAHA i love it.

http://www.wwl.com/Bobby-on-Saints-H...ing--/10687552

I love to read articles like this, although it was pre season our 1st string destroyed their first string

Well, Who Dats, Coach Payton said in his comments that you can’t sugar-coat the performance of the Saints against the Texans. I have to agree. This was embarrassing, at best. And, “embarrassing” might be an understatement.

This was very humbling. It should show Coach Payton and the team that they have a ways to go before they open the season with Green Bay. They could face a similar challenge on opening day. Texas has one of the best offenses…man, what do you think is going to happen when you're facing the Packers?

I’ll tell you, what I was so disheartened by from the beginning of the game was the play of the defense. When you look at it, this primarily was our starters. Yeah, I know, “it’s just preseason,” but these are familiar names that are going to be playing on Sundays! It really makes you think, “Man, you gotta wonder..”

I mean, come on... The first-team Texans offense averaged 14.2 yards per attempt in the first ten plays to start the game 14 freaking yards
? That's way beyond a first down!

Now, if you look at the first couple of quarters, think about how crazy this was...The Saints defense gave up 142 yards rushing in the FIRST HALF! Houston got 208 total rushing for the game, which is also ridiculous. 323 total net yards in the first half for Houston, and an average of 10.1 yards per rush! When you look at the Texans, you can see it was a balanced attack: 228 yards passing, and 208 yards rushing. It was extremely disappointing.

We started off the game pretty good, with Drew driving down the field, only to result in a turnover.. He’s really got to protect the football. When Antonio Smith hit him, it looks like they had a stunt from the left side, and Smith came free and knocked the ball out of Drew's hands. It looked like some mis-communication between Drew and Lance Moore on the play.

In the long haul, you're not going to beat someone with a -3 turnover ratio. You have to protect the ball, and you have to create turnovers. Overall, we're -1 in the preseason. And, I've said this before: In the Super Bowl season, we were +11 in the takeaway/giveaway ratio.

A few bright spots...Obviously, Joseph Morgan again, getting a 56 yard TD pass from Chase Daniel. That was very explosive, with the Saints going 3 plays for 80 yards to get back into the game. It pulled the Saints to within 3 points, 17-14, but realistically, we were never in the game. Our defense just couldn’t stop the Texans.

Another bright spot: In the running game, Pierre Thomas with 5.5 yard average per carry. Darren Sproles had some flashes, with three carries for 24 yards…But he still had one or two dropped passes. And, Joseph Morgan continues to stand out, with that one 56-yard reception.

In the area of kick return Courtney Roby looked great, averaging 30 yards per return. 25 yards per return is getting it done, and Joseph Morgan also had a 26-yard return. They’ve spent extra time on special teams during camp.

But, I have to say that most of the bright spots were on the Texans side: Drew had 5 of 10 passes connect, but Matt Schaub hit 12 of 16. Schaub looked like a franchise quarterback out there, for 163 yards. And, Houston’s running backs averaged monster numbers, and we mostly couldn’t guard their receivers. It's obvious we're missing Malcolm Jenkins.

And, I gotta say, two guys that were terrible in the game: Charles Brown. There's no way in hell he's competing with Zach Strief for the starting job, playing like that. Brown got called for holding, when it was obvious he was getting beat.

And, because of the injury to Malcolm Jenkins, we had Paul Oliver back there, a 5-year safety out of Georgia that we got from the Chargers. Based on this film, Oliver is cut, there's no way he's making the team.

Overall, this performance was about 80 percent negative, about 20 percent positive. I wish I could sugar-coat it for you, it might go down easier.
Old 08-21-2011   #2
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bobby Hebert on Saints/Houston: ''Embarrassing''....HAHA i love it.

Quote:
When Antonio Smith hit him, it looks like they had a stunt from the left side, and Smith came free and knocked the ball out of Drew's hands.
Actually, the Saints LT whiffed on a cut block, and Smith strolled in.

Quote:
It's obvious we're missing Malcolm Jenkins.
Maybe it's not that obvious. Jenkins played.
Old 08-21-2011   #3
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

It's obvious they were missing Jenkins, but we were missing Joseph, so it's almost a wash. If anything, they had the advantage there.
Old 08-21-2011   #4
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 187579 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Actually, the Saints LT whiffed on a cut block, and Smith strolled in.

Maybe it's not that obvious. Jenkins played.
yep, the box score credited him with two tackles....
maybe Jenkins pulled up lame early in the first qtr...?

EDIT:
Checked the play-by-play. Nope, that's not it; both of Jenkins' tackles were well into the 2nd qtr.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011   #5
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
yep, the box score credited him with two tackles....
maybe Jenkins pulled up lame early in the first qtr...?
He didn't start, but was in during the Texans last TD drive.
Old 08-21-2011   #6
whiskeyrbl

Nice find.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read