Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-21-2011   #1
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3990 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Offensive Pass Interference

When Mario Williams was trying to intercept the pass yesterday, his feet were taken out from under him by an Offensive Lineman. How is that not Offensive Pass Interference?
Old 08-21-2011   #2
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Offensive Pass Interference

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedToro View Post
When Mario Williams was trying to intercept the pass yesterday, his feet were taken out from under him by an Offensive Lineman. How is that not Offensive Pass Interference?
How would it not be illegal lineman downfield if nothing else? I didn't see the play, so I don't know.
DocBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011   #3
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's a really intriguing concept/question.

If there's an actual rule on the books addressing that particular situation, I'd like to see how it's worded. Perhaps an offensive lineman, by rule, is immune from that kind of penalty, provided he is within a certain distance from the line of scrimmage.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011   #4
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's almost impossible to get pass interference one way or another on a screen play or for passes around the line in traffic.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011   #5
Lucky

Rep Power: 160417 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
It's almost impossible to get pass interference one way or another on a screen play or for passes around the line in traffic.
See: Antonio Smith's "tackle" of Darren Sproles prior to a screen pass.
Old 08-21-2011   #6
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

I was wondering the same thing actually when I saw the play, since the ball was in the air when Mario was taken out.
And overall, the refs have definitely been in preseason form: the obvious facemask on Schaub in the first series vs the Jets, about 4 really unnecessary personal foul calls last night, Smith getting away with tackling Sproles on the same play Brees gets away with grounding, etc.
Old 08-21-2011   #7
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by run-david-run View Post
I was wondering the same thing actually when I saw the play, since the ball was in the air when Mario was taken out.

And overall, the refs have definitely been in preseason form: the obvious facemask on Schaub in the first series vs the Jets, about 4 really unnecessary personal foul calls last night, Smith getting away with tackling Sproles on the same play Brees gets away with grounding, etc.
Those calls are actually all fairly correct.

They've changed the "blow to the head" calls against the QBs. The defender can touch the QBs head and facemask with incidental contact now. So that sack on Schaub, that was OK.

The personal foul calls show the new emphasis on calling late hits.

Smith tackling Sproles was a good play on his part. That's not pass interference because it's behind the line of scrimmage and in traffic.

Brees throwing the ball into the ground isn't grounding because he threw it at a legal receiver's feet.
Sponsored links
Old 08-21-2011   #8
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213938 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Those calls are actually all fairly correct.

They've changed the "blow to the head" calls against the QBs. The defender can touch the QBs head and facemask with incidental contact now. So that sack on Schaub, that was OK.

The personal foul calls show the new emphasis on calling late hits.

Smith tackling Sproles was a good play on his part. That's not pass interference because it's behind the line of scrimmage and in traffic.

Brees throwing the ball into the ground isn't grounding because he threw it at a legal receiver's feet.
I have to admit, the Zebras were correct this time.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011   #9
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I have to admit, the Zebras were correct this time.
I'd have to go back and rewatch the play but wasn't the ball tipped in the air? You can pretty much do anything once it's tipped.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011   #10
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 38426 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I'd have to go back and rewatch the play but wasn't the ball tipped in the air? You can pretty much do anything once it's tipped.
Yeah, pretty sure it was.
Old 08-22-2011   #11
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
So I rewatched the play last night. It was just a really long, high lob pass by Brees and actually never got tipped, despite my earlier beliefs. It did land right around the line of scrimmage so I'm not sure if that would effect a PI call or not. Regardless, it was really a bang bang play with Mario's legs getting hit. As much as a PI call would have been cool I'm not really upset with the no call. If it were the other way around, I'd probably be upset if Duane Brown were called for PI in that situation.
Old 08-22-2011   #12
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 114958 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
See: Antonio Smith's "tackle" of Darren Sproles prior to a screen pass.
I rewound that play a dozen times just to watch it again. I laughed my butt off every time I saw it. I thought that was hilarious
Old 08-22-2011   #13
pbat488
gig 'em

Rep Power: 12913 pbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respected

to clear it up there is no offensive or defensive pass interference behind the line of scrimmage..

there is however defensive holding if a defensive player interferes with a receiver behind the line of scrimmage

the refs got this one right assuming the ball and alleged interference was behind the line of scrimmage
pbat488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011   #14
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I rewound that play a dozen times just to watch it again. I laughed my butt off every time I saw it. I thought that was hilarious
I don't get what Breesus was griping about. The argument could me made that Sproles tried to block Smith and failed. Then Payton wanted an explanation from the refs. Really? Do they not know the rule book?

Good on Smith for recognizing the play and busting it.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011   #15
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 114958 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherstang84 View Post
I don't get what Breesus was griping about. The argument could me made that Sproles tried to block Smith and failed. Then Payton wanted an explanation from the refs. Really? Do they not know the rule book?

It should've been a defensive holding penalty.

As far as the Mario getting cut play. If the contact was made within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage it's totally legal.
Old 08-22-2011   #16
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherstang84 View Post

Yeah that was bogus. Thats like having an OL engage in a block, then say he was going out for a pass but couldnt because he was being held. Dont go both ways fellas.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011   #17
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
How in the world should it have been a defensive holding penalty? The guy was standing right behind the line within the tackle box. It's totally legal to maul that guy.
Old 08-22-2011   #18
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
How in the world should it have been a defensive holding penalty? The guy was standing right behind the line within the tackle box. It's totally legal to maul that guy.
That play cracked me up. Was it play action? As fast as those guys move it seemed to me that Smith was engaged with the O-lineman and got by just in time to see the RB. If a RB is in the middle of the lane, he's fair game to be tackled if the defense has reason to believe the ball was handed off to him!!

Plus it was TOTALLY and COMPLETELY obvious that Brees was looking downfield and had nothing so he looked to the RB as a safety valve and intentionally threw it on the ground by him. That's fine and not intentional grounding, it was a smart play by Brees, but I don't think Smith did anything wrong. Brees was just trying to pull his veteranship and try and sway the refs for a bogus call. Not a bad try but they didn't bite.
Old 08-22-2011   #19
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
I was looking at it similar to that of a Dlineman grabbing an Olineman to keep him off the LB's. They call that defensive holding. Why wouldn't grabbing a RB in the same area be called the same?

I thought it should've been a holding call. Guess I might be wrong?
Old 08-22-2011   #20
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

As far as the Mario getting cut play. If the contact was made within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage it's totally legal.
Yep, contact is legal when it's within the first five yards of the LOS. That's why there is no penalty on that Saints LT on the play where Mario was going after the wounded duck pass by Brees.

And it should have been a defensive holding against Antonio Smith on the separate play when Smith tackled Sproles to the ground. It's the same as if a defensive guy holds a RG or RT or C so that another defensive guy can shoot that gap and get by the blocker.

The Line Of Scrimmage seems to be the key issue here. From the LOS a forward line of 5 yards is "Anybody's turf" and can be used to jam, hold, slobber-knock, etc. BEHIND the LOS, you're looking at defensive or offensive holding calls. A note on this, however: If a ball carrier is in the area of a CB and WR (who are both in that five-yard "forward" range of the LOS) and said WR holds onto the CB to help out the ball carrier...it's offensive holding.

The refs missed the call on Smith, IMO. Unless there is a separate interpretation of the rules that we don't know about.

This is why I don't understand why we don't do that more with our CBs. Are they smaller, compared to most NFL WRs? Yes. But you throw a WR off his timing, getting off the LOS, and you can disrupt the whole play....especially with safety help. I feel like we have the personnel to do that now.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read