Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-21-2011   #1
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary
Default Mario IS Improving At His New Position

The progress was subtle but arguably significant. Although Mario Williams was again less than dazzling against the Saints in his new role as an edge-rushing outside linebacker, he did make meaningful strides against the Saints compared to his debut against the Jets Monday night.

This time, Williams seemed modestly comfortable, even in coverage. He almost had an interception and, when Antonio Smith separated Drew Brees from the football with New Orleans sitting on a first-and-goal at the Texans' 4, Williams was in the right place at the right time to recover the fumble. Demarcus Ware he isn't yet – never mind Lawrence Taylor - but, if you watched him closely, you detected plenty of improvement.

For the most part, tenaciousness trumped tentativeness. Williams' performance deserves to be rewarded with a measure of patience from Houston's anxious fans.

"Over time, it's going to become more second nature for me," Williams said. "I didn't realize it was going to be this different. Tonight I felt like I ran around a little better, but I've still got to remember to bend a lot more. I'm so tall, I've got to concentrate on getting lower. Once I do, I think I'll be a lot more fluid."

Williams is listed at 6-6 but, as he works on transitioning to a completely foreign way of playing, he says he feels "like I'm 6-8. I think I must be growing."

He has been going after the quarterback out of a three-point stance "my whole life," he said. "But, with the situation we have right now, changing defenses, it's just something I got to work hard at. My weight needs to be forward. I can't have any false steps. I need to be more efficient standing up. It's something that's completely new for me. I never had to worry about standing up before.

"But I felt better tonight, definitely, from the first night."

More is arguably being asked of Williams, a former Pro Bowler as a defensive end in a 4-3 set, than any other player on the roster. But he has selflessly bought into new defensive coordinator Wade Phillips' program.

"I have full faith in what (Phillips) is telling everybody to do, including myself," he said. "It will get done. I'm not worried about it."
http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/a...on-2134436.php
Old 08-21-2011   #2
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Mario IS Improving At His New Position

I'm just saying..... Brooks Reed, Connor Barwin, & Jesse Nading seem to be handling the position change........ better.

So are JJWatt, Antonio Smith, & Tim Jamison...

I'm just saying.

A Playmaker would have caught that ball even though he had a fat man rolling up on his knees..
Old 08-21-2011   #3
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I'm just saying..... Brooks Reed, Connor Barwin, & Jesse Nading seem to be handling the position change........ better.

I'm just saying.

A Playmaker would have caught that ball even though he had a fat man rolling up on his knees..
Mario isnt playing his natural position its going to take a little time for him to get adjusted I thought he looked a lot more at ease last night. As far as brooks and nading im glad they are shining for depth but you have to remeber they are playing against 2nd and 3rd teamers.
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011   #4
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

The title of this thread made me chuckle when I remembered the skits Dana Carvey used to do when he was playing George H.W. Bush.

He would say: "Dan Quayle----still. gaining. acceptance."
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011   #5
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

Williams should at least be given until the first few weeks of the regular season to show a huge improvement JMO.
Old 08-21-2011   #6
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
As far as brooks and nading im glad they are shining for depth but you have to remeber they are playing against 2nd and 3rd teamers.
No, that will go unmentioned because it doesn't support their position. Mario would have been dominated by Jordan Black, too.
Old 08-21-2011   #7
gary
Hall of Fame

I would take Mario's word and the sports writers rather than just our own on the MB and if he has a great year then I hope they will re-sign him somehow.
Sponsored links
Old 08-21-2011   #8
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario looked like he was in coverage a lot and I thought he did well there. Plenty of pressure on the QB was given. You can't rush everybody. Confusing to opponents not to see Mario bull rush. Sort of like a decoy.
Old 08-21-2011   #9
House of Pain
Knee-jerkless

Section: 106
Rep Power: 7055 House of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respected

I honestly can't understand a sizable portion of people who watch Texans football and post on this board about their observations. Is it that hard to understand that these guys aren't robots and they all have their own learning curve? Do you think Wade would put Mario in that position he thought he couldn't succeed in? It is a rare situation where a player can change their position where they have played their entire career at and expect them to instantly understand their new position after 2 preseason games and a very short off-season. I would imagine y'all are the same people who submit resumes for NFL head coaching vacancies based on the 19-0 season of your franchise mode in Madden.

I find it funny that the same people that are trashing Mario after 3 QUARTERS OF PRESEASON PLAY for being average, are not giving Quin any credit for his seamless transition to safety. (Did you see that guy flying around out there?)

I'm not saying that Mario will be the long term answer for the Texans. I don't know that yet. What I am saying is that Mario is a unique athletic talent, and can we all agree to wait until at least the regular season to judge him?

For all you doubters, keep in mind that Wade hasn't even dialed up any of his exotic (or regular) blitz packages. What do you think is going to happen when we get a mismatch on Mario and the secondary can cover their man 1 to 2 seconds longer than last year?

You guys can be unreasonable and freak out about games that don't matter on a message board as you slam Tab in your parents garage, but I'm going to reserve judgment until the regular season.
House of Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011   #10
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:

I'm just saying.

Conor barwin isn't doing anything vs the run or pass.
Old 08-21-2011   #11
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I have been pleased with the olb play in general and I though Mario looked good all things considered. Not sure what the complaints are about.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011   #12
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43308 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Mario isnt playing his natural position its going to take a little time for him to get adjusted I thought he looked a lot more at ease last night. As far as brooks and nading im glad they are shining for depth but you have to remeber they are playing against 2nd and 3rd teamers.
Neither is Brooks Reed playing his natural position and even if he's not going against starters, he's got like 3 sacks so far and how many does Mario have ? Right ! Just watch Reed, he's got the quicks, the explosiveness that Mario just doesn't have.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011   #13
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Shouldn't we expect our ones to make plays going against other ones?

I mean if our 2s are making plays against 2s, wouldn't it stand to reason our 1s would make plays against 1s?

Fine. lets just ignore that stupid way of thinking. Lets get a little more real.

In what aspect of the game do you think Mario is excelling at? Or can you direct me to one instance where his playmaking ability has shown itself?

Just so there is no misunderstanding here, click on my username there to the left & try to find one negative word about Mario outside this thread. I guarantee you won't find it. I've been one of his biggest supporters since day one. I'm also one of those guys who think it's stupid/crazy to be talking about trading him now.

Excuse me, if I'm not ready to sing his praises as an OLB, when he has given us nothing to sing about.

I want to get behind Wade's decision, just like most of you do. But I'm not going the Emporer has new clothes route. When I see something worth praising, I'll let you know.

Until then, I'd appreciate anybody pointing out to me the praise worthy aspects of the 280lb LB.
Old 08-21-2011   #14
thetexanator
All Pro

Rep Power: 3484 thetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Williams as LB. DOESNT WORK.

the more i think about it, the less I like it. a 6'6 290 lb with no burst standing up is not going to work. the guy is not demarcus ware and we need to stop thinking he could be. the FO did what they did and drafted watt, now lets play that hand and let mario take smith's spot.
thetexanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011   #15
Playmaker
Veteran

Rep Power: 244 Playmaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm willing to give this experiment some time but personally I think there are 2 players out of position, Mario and Cushing. I would have put Mario on one end and let Watt/Smith platoon the other with Watt occasionally going NT. Then I would have Cushing on one of the OLB, I think one of Cushing's true gifts is hunting down the QB. Have Sharpton man one of the ILB beside Ryans. And I think Reed will eventually platoon with Barwin and might just take over the starting spot sometime this season.
Playmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Default Re: Williams as LB. DOESNT WORK.

I think I agree as much as I haven't seen anything special yet. But I dont know that im ready to give up yet either. The season is about to start, so I dont know how many more changes we want to make. Id actually feel better about trading Reed for Barwin in the starting line up. Mario & Smith are proven playmakers you dont take them off the field.
Old 08-21-2011   #17
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 72571 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
The progress was subtle but arguably significant. Although Mario Williams was again less than dazzling against the Saints in his new role as an edge-rushing outside linebacker, he did make meaningful strides against the Saints compared to his debut against the Jets Monday night.

This time, Williams seemed modestly comfortable, even in coverage. He almost had an interception and, when Antonio Smith separated Drew Brees from the football with New Orleans sitting on a first-and-goal at the Texans' 4, Williams was in the right place at the right time to recover the fumble. Demarcus Ware he isn't yet – never mind Lawrence Taylor - but, if you watched him closely, you detected plenty of improvement.

For the most part, tenaciousness trumped tentativeness. Williams' performance deserves to be rewarded with a measure of patience from Houston's anxious fans.

"Over time, it's going to become more second nature for me," Williams said. "I didn't realize it was going to be this different. Tonight I felt like I ran around a little better, but I've still got to remember to bend a lot more. I'm so tall, I've got to concentrate on getting lower. Once I do, I think I'll be a lot more fluid."

Williams is listed at 6-6 but, as he works on transitioning to a completely foreign way of playing, he says he feels "like I'm 6-8. I think I must be growing."

He has been going after the quarterback out of a three-point stance "my whole life," he said. "But, with the situation we have right now, changing defenses, it's just something I got to work hard at. My weight needs to be forward. I can't have any false steps. I need to be more efficient standing up. It's something that's completely new for me. I never had to worry about standing up before.

"But I felt better tonight, definitely, from the first night."

More is arguably being asked of Williams, a former Pro Bowler as a defensive end in a 4-3 set, than any other player on the roster. But he has selflessly bought into new defensive coordinator Wade Phillips' program.
"I have full faith in what (Phillips) is telling everybody to do, including myself," he said. "It will get done. I'm not worried about it."
http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/a...on-2134436.php
Can you really say he's selflessly bought into this when all reports indicate he pitched a fit about being a 3-4 DE?
Old 08-21-2011   #18
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:

I mean if our 2s are making plays against 2s, wouldn't it stand to reason our 1s would make plays against 1s?

Fine. lets just ignore that stupid way of thinking. Lets get a little more real.

In what aspect of the game do you think Mario is excelling at? Or can you direct me to one instance where his playmaking ability has shown itself?

Just so there is no misunderstanding here, click on my username there to the left & try to find one negative word about Mario outside this thread. I guarantee you won't find it. I've been one of his biggest supporters since day one. I'm also one of those guys who think it's stupid/crazy to be talking about trading him now.

Excuse me, if I'm not ready to sing his praises as an OLB, when he has given us nothing to sing about.

I want to get behind Wade's decision, just like most of you do. But I'm not going the Emporer has new clothes route. When I see something worth praising, I'll let you know.

Until then, I'd appreciate anybody pointing out to me the praise worthy aspects of the 280lb LB.
Old 08-21-2011   #19
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 192752 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by House of Pain View Post
I honestly can't understand a sizable portion of people who watch Texans football and post on this board about their observations. Is it that hard to understand that these guys aren't robots and they all have their own learning curve? Do you think Wade would put Mario in that position he thought he couldn't succeed in? It is a rare situation where a player can change their position where they have played their entire career at and expect them to instantly understand their new position after 2 preseason games and a very short off-season. I would imagine y'all are the same people who submit resumes for NFL head coaching vacancies based on the 19-0 season of your franchise mode in Madden.

I find it funny that the same people that are trashing Mario after 3 QUARTERS OF PRESEASON PLAY for being average, are not giving Quin any credit for his seamless transition to safety. (Did you see that guy flying around out there?)

I'm not saying that Mario will be the long term answer for the Texans. I don't know that yet. What I am saying is that Mario is a unique athletic talent, and can we all agree to wait until at least the regular season to judge him?

For all you doubters, keep in mind that Wade hasn't even dialed up any of his exotic (or regular) blitz packages. What do you think is going to happen when we get a mismatch on Mario and the secondary can cover their man 1 to 2 seconds longer than last year?

You guys can be unreasonable and freak out about games that don't matter on a message board as you slam Tab in your parents garage, but I'm going to reserve judgment until the regular season.
Good post. Repped.
Think deeply about this train of thought. In essence, those who are saying Mario won't ever cut it at OLB are tacitly saying Wade doesn't know WTH he's doing because he shouldn't have put Mario in a position to fail.

I mean, if Wade didn't think Mario could make a successful transition, then why didn't he leave Mario at DE (where he is a pro bowl level player) and draft the best pass-rushing OLB with that first pick? It's obvious that this was Wade's draft. He could have done whatever he thought necessary. And it seems to me that leaving Mario and Antonio at DE and then picking up a speed-rushing OLB (say a Braman-type who's played the position all through college) would have been a sound draft strategy also. If opposing offenses double Mario then the speed guy gets thru, if they double the speed guy, then Mario gets thru.... But that's just me.

So if Wade thinks Mario can be (is?) a key component to his defensive plans at OLB that's good enough for me. While, as I said above, my strategy would have been different, I'm not going to pretend I know more about creating successful defenses than Wade does. After all, so far, it seems to be working.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011   #20
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Mario got good pressure on brees a few times. He hasn't gotten the sacks, but over the course of an entire game, or an entire season the sacks will come.

He does not look god awful in his little zone drops, and he set the edge better in the run game last night.

Danieal manning hasn't made any plays either. But I think he too will prove worthy over the course of the season.

What situations do you think Mario should have played better? Do you think that he looks terrible out there?
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read