Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-21-2011   #1
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Ben Tate busts out of Kubiak’s doghouse

After a broken ankle wiped out his rookie season before it began and with a lingering hamstring problem keeping him off the field — to the dismay of coach Gary Kubiak — Texans running back Ben Tate finally has delivered.

Tate churned up 95 yards against the Saints, on only nine carries. Tate also scored a touchdown.

“Well, I was really surprised that he played as well as he did because he hasn’t practiced that much,” owner Bob McNair said in quotes distributed by the team. “You can tell his conditioning isn’t what it will be and he has more speed than you saw tonight so I think that’s pretty exciting.”

Added Kubiak: “I guess practice is overrated.”

“I was just excited to be honest,” Tate said of his performance. “It’s been over a year since I have been out there on the field so I wasn’t really thinking about anything. I was just excited and was just thinking ‘keep going, keep going’, I didn’t want to come out of the game for anything.”

Starter Arian Foster, who missed the preseason opener against the Jets with a hamstring injury of his own, contributed 47 yards on five carries — with two touchdowns.

Not to be forgotten, receiver Andre Johnson celebrated the monster contract given to Larry Fitzgerald with four catches for 100 yards.

The performances came in front of the largest preseason crowd ever at Reliant Stadium, where 70,828 fans showed up to see the home team beat the Saints, 27-14, only five nights after the game against the Jets.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...iaks-doghouse/
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011   #2
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 6498 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ben Tate busts out of Kubiak’s doghouse

Tate was on the bubble coming into this game. If he can continue to perform in week 3 and 4 I see him getting lots of reps on Sunday. I would love to see a 3 headed monster with Tate, Ward, and Foster. I think that gets us lots of yards on the ground and keeps all our RBs in better shape during the season.
15 reps for Arian and 8 for Tate and Ward each. If we can run it 30 times a game, we're going to be winning.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011   #3
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

All I know about Tate is that Spencer Tillman used to watch him tear it up every Saturday in the SEC.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011   #4
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Tate was never on the bubble. You don't cut a second round draft pick before his second season after he's been on IR the whole season prior.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011   #5
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

That was such a killer performance there is no way you can get rid of that guy. I know it's only one game but after that performance you gotta keep giving him carries.
Old 08-21-2011   #6
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
Tate was never on the bubble. You don't cut a second round draft pick before his second season after he's been on IR the whole season prior.
^^^^ This.

Tate was never really in danger anywhere except in the minds of some of the fans. He was in a position behind Ward and Slaton because he had to prove himself and show that he needed playing time because he is/was still basically a rookie.

But there was a reason he was drafted in the 2nd round last year. This guy could be special in this offense.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011   #7
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
All I know about Tate is that Spencer Tillman used to watch him tear it up every Saturday in the SEC.
LOL.

Nice.
Old 08-21-2011   #8
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hradhak View Post
Tate was on the bubble coming into this game. If he can continue to perform in week 3 and 4 I see him getting lots of reps on Sunday. I would love to see a 3 headed monster with Tate, Ward, and Foster. I think that gets us lots of yards on the ground and keeps all our RBs in better shape during the season.
15 reps for Arian and 8 for Tate and Ward each. If we can run it 30 times a game, we're going to be winning.
Ben Tate was never in a "Kubiak doghouse" or "on a bubble" at all.

This is something I spoke of last week. Kubiak's comments were standard comments you make when one of your key guy is out of action--As a HC, you push that guy and make sure he knows he needs to get healed and get back onto the field ASAP. It's standard motivation. It's simple, daily reminders that get put into print and the player sees that and knows he has to stay focused.

The impatience of fans does not equate to a guy being on the bubble. Kubiak knew his guys needed the rest. Hell, Kubiak probably put them on rest himself.
Old 08-21-2011   #9
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hradhak View Post
This is why they don't let fans make personnel decisions....
I DO think he was in Kube's doghouse, though. Kubes practically called him out last week. Kubiak doesn't do that very often.
Old 08-21-2011   #10
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...t=71758&page=7
Post 135 .

Quote:
Good start to the 2011 season i cant wait to get out there i love this game way too much to pretend like something is wrong with me smh abt to say my prayers and hit the sheets
From last week
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011   #11
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

The kid played his ass off the Texans running game is going to be killer and now he is doing what they drafted him to do and actually we got lucky with Arian Foster last season no one knew he would lead the league in rushing and now we have two go to backs awesome.
Old 08-21-2011   #12
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

and it is his birthday too

https://www.facebook.com/BenTateRB
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011   #13
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
This is why they don't let fans make personnel decisions....
Among other reasons.
Old 08-21-2011   #14
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 103796 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
The performances came in front of the largest preseason crowd ever at Reliant Stadium, where 70,828 fans showed up to see the home team beat the Saints, 27-14, only five nights after the game against the Jets.
When are these guys ever gong to learn the difference between "paid attendance" and those that actually went through the turnstiles? It was a decent pre-season showing but NOWHERE near 70K in the stadium...I'd guess closer to 35-40K.
Old 08-21-2011   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
I've got nothing to back it up, but I think Tate going into Kubiak's office determined to play went a long way towards Tates future in the NFL.

You cant control injuries. But a players attitude during those injuries says a lot about his character.
Old 08-21-2011   #16
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I've got nothing to back it up, but I think Tate going into Kubiak's office determined to play went a long way towards Tates future in the NFL.

You cant control injuries. But a players attitude during those injuries says a lot about his character.
Good point.
Old 08-21-2011   #17
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 55298 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

You're crazy if you think Tate was ever in danger sinking to the practice squad. This is the team that is still giving Antwaun Molden a chance four years, three DC's, and 30+ missed games after selecting him in the third round.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011   #18
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 71024 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

I was actually not impressed with him out of college and didnt expect much from him in the NFL, but i gotta say the kid surprised me, has good vision, good cuts and some nice speed. Well done tate
Old 08-21-2011   #19
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

Yep. Agree. Kubiak said of Tate: "He came to see me." That little talk obviously went a long way.

As much as I have doubts about Kubiak as a head coach and leader, he appears to get players to respond on a personal, one-on-one basis. I remember Mario struggling a couple of seasons ago, and then bursting out immediately after having had a private talk with Kubaik.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011   #20
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
Yep. Agree. Kubiak said of Tate: "He came to see me." That little talk obviously went a long way.

As much as I have doubt about Kubiak as a head coach and leader, he appears to get players to respond on a personal, one-on-one basis. I remember Mario struggling a couple of seasons ago, and then bursting out immediately after having had a private talk with Kubaik.
Maybe Kub should have a talk with the whole defense we need them to shine this year.
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read