Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-21-2011   #1
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Where can we find a NT this late

I am in NT watch mode just wanting a vet NT to be cut as a salary move but dont think it will happen. Looks like our over all pass def maybe better ounce J. Josepth starts but our run def went way south. Teams can run striaght up the middle all day with ease.

DL FAs
Marcus Stroud?
Kris Jenkins ?
Pat Williams ?

Last edited by srrono; 08-21-2011 at 08:03 AM.
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011   #2
fikster
All Pro

Rep Power: 102 fikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Where can we find a NT this late

I've been doing therapy at Plex with Hollis Thomas and he is in Greta shape and read to go. Probably will end up with San Fran or Oakland but dude is huge and in great shape.
fikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011   #3
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by fikster View Post
I've been doing therapy at Plex with Hollis Thomas and he is in Greta shape and read to go. Probably will end up with San Fran or Oakland but dude is huge and in great shape.
he is 37 yrs old but i would plug him in on running downs 6ft 340lbs
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011   #4
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Jenkins and Williams are retired and i dont think either want to play. Stroud might work if he's cut and would be a nice vet to have around.
Old 08-21-2011   #5
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 51073 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

I don't think Pat has officially retired yet. Has he?
Old 08-21-2011   #6
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

The Vanilla Gorilla!

Must be something that teams dont like about him, as nobody has picked him up. I wish I knew what it was.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011   #7
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Hopefully the texans have cody's paragraph 5 salary in mind when cuts are being made. In the same context, jamal williams is on speed dial after week 1. Williams would do do 40 snaps a game or even kemeotoo formerly of the skins/panthers. Did I remind people how terrible cody is?
Old 08-21-2011   #8
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
The Vanilla Gorilla!

Must be something that teams dont like about him, as nobody has picked him up. I wish I knew what it was.
The Starcaps issue. Iirc, Pat and Kevin withdrew their appeals this offseason and will serve their 4 game suspensions this season.
Old 08-21-2011   #9
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 286048 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Didn't we have these same concerns before the 2009 season?

We didn't ever get that big NT, but our run defense cleaned up just fine after week 3.
Old 08-21-2011   #10
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209558 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Didn't we have these same concerns before the 2009 season?

We didn't ever get that big NT, but our run defense cleaned up just fine after week 3.
Wasnt there a change in DC's prior to week 4 ?

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 286048 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Wasnt there a change in DC's prior to week 4 ?
I don't think so, that was Frank Bush's first year.

& another thing. There was a fat NT on the Saints DLine yesterday.

Didn't really notice him.
Old 08-21-2011   #12
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 320620 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

We've got to get our gap assignments worked out.

Hopefully, they'll learn from their mistakes. And really, the running defense started to clamp down after that first quarter. So they might already be getting it worked out.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011   #13
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't see Mitchell flashing like the coaching staff has said. Cody is just a hustle guy. There is a definite need for someone who, if not a bit bigger than 300 lbs., is able to either flash through the OL or hold up 2 OL consistently. Mitchell needs to blow up gaps, I don't think he's strong enough to get a double team.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011   #14
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209558 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
We've got to get our gap assignments worked out.

Hopefully, they'll learn from their mistakes. And really, the running defense started to clamp down after that first quarter. So they might already be getting it worked out.
I did notice a pretty big difference after the first quarter .... they seemed to make adjustments on the fly.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011   #15
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

While I agree about the need for a bigger/better/stronger/meaner NT I also think that our lack of run D in the middle has alot to do with our ILB's as well.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011   #16
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
I don't see Mitchell flashing like the coaching staff has said. Cody is just a hustle guy. There is a definite need for someone who, if not a bit bigger than 300 lbs., is able to either flash through the OL or hold up 2 OL consistently. Mitchell needs to blow up gaps, I don't think he's strong enough to get a double team.
I think Mitchell is a good player and does a lot of things well.

But I think that an upgrade there makes the defense better. Earl can use quickness and leverage to get into gaps and get penetration, but it would be nice to either have a guy in the rotation that could push the center back off the ball/hold the line and cause a mash up or a complete upgrade that can hold the point of attack and use quickness to penetrate when needed.

Maybe that guy is in the draft.

Maybe Earl will improve and the ilb's will work in sync with him. I dunno.

What I do know is that adding a guy who excels at stopping the run in there would make stopping the run a lot easier.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011   #17
Clamp
Rookie

Rep Power: 167 Clamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respected

We should be able to stand up better in our base defense, but I am pretty sure we are going to be blitzing on a pretty regular basis where as right now we havent blitzed at all. Blitzing will bring LBs hard into the gaps vacated by the linemen shooting to their assigned gaps. As it stands the inside LBs are trying to read and react away from the line of scrimmage and with the down linemen shooting one way or the other it innevitably leaves the other open, and if the LBs hesitate then the RB is already at the LOS with a head of steam before the LB takes his first step up. Once we open up the playbook more then we will be better with our pressure and against the run, but even so we need to be able to hold up better without the bells and whistles.
Clamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011   #18
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I think Mitchell is a good player and does a lot of things well.

But I think that an upgrade there makes the defense better. Earl can use quickness and leverage to get into gaps and get penetration, but it would be nice to either have a guy in the rotation that could push the center back off the ball/hold the line and cause a mash up or a complete upgrade that can hold the point of attack and use quickness to penetrate when needed.
I do too, I just think he would be better served at DE here, to blow up gaps. I've tried not to harp on the "We need a 600 lbs. man in the middle" thing.....but....it's getting to that point. I'm getting to where I just want to see someone be immovable, to barely be able to bend over, basically just stand up, left hand grap the center, right hand grab the guard and hold them! haha...

Mario getting a double means a T and a back or TE. We need that big guy to break off 2 OL, free up the DL and keep chip blocks off Mario, free up the LBs to flow to plays.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011   #19
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 141010 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

is there a fatbody available in the Supp Draft?
Old 08-22-2011   #20
Texas T
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17309 Texas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I did notice a pretty big difference after the first quarter .... they seemed to make adjustments on the fly.
^^^This. There was a definate improvement between the first quarter and the rest of the game. I think they'll get it together.
I wonder how much better they will be with 'Meco in there, actually directing traffic with all the regulars??

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read