Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-20-2011   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 118955 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default OK, overall, pleased or no?

I am one who can enjoy the game and then post weaknesses but over all were you pleased with the Texan team?

I was extremely pleased and can see this team getting better. Offense seemed to hit early which is a change and defense offered me hope it will be much better by game one.
Old 08-21-2011   #2
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 192005 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: OK, overall, pleased or no?

I was very pleased with this game. I liked a lot of what I saw.

There are some HUGE issues we need to resolve but I think we've got the coaches to solve them.

Our defense may not be the greatest defense in the world in terms of yardage this year, but it might be pretty good in terms of points and turnovers. And if our defense can get a lot of turnovers, that's going to make our offense that much more potent.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011   #3
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 118955 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I was hoping O would not lose ground but wanting to see defense continue to improve and was pleased with both. I do not want to overlok the quick start by the O.
Old 08-21-2011   #4
honored82
Veteran

Rep Power: 4151 honored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respected

I didn't like how we gave away two big plays for 50 yarders' almost.
- a touchdown on a 4th and long and a deep pass to Morgan, 2nd and 23, where the safeties where just watching him
honored82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011   #5
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by honored82 View Post
I didn't like how we gave away two big plays for 50 yarders' almost.
- a touchdown on a 4th and long and a deep pass to Morgan, 2nd and 23, where the safeties where just watching him
So overall. it is a no for you?
Old 08-21-2011   #6
TdotTexas2Step
All Pro

Rep Power: 1975 TdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respected

Overall? Very pleased.

Obviously there were some glaring moments that need to be addressed in the film room, like the run d and some long balls given up.

But overall, you've got be feeling good as a Texan fan. For me, it was all about being reaffirmed that our strengths are still our strengths, and to be pleasantly surprised by players who are trying to prove themselves.

And because our offense was firing on all cylinders, and the fact that Tate and Reed left their mark on the field, I can't help but be confident moving forward.
TdotTexas2Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011   #7
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25491 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Overall I'm happier than last week but still not satisfied. It was good to see the O playing well though I worry a little about the depth of the O-line due to injuries. The defense is a major concern. The secondary has gotten better than last year but that's not hard to do, but still not what I would consider good. The pass rush is better and their are individual players that offer hope for the future (Watt, Reed, etc...) but there are also players that offer legitimate reason for concern (Cushing, Ryans, Mario, Cody, Mitchell, and KJ) One thing is the same as last year though and that's the lack of consistency, you never know which Texans team will show up. We also seem to have more overall team speed than last year but still lack some size and toughness. It should be noted though that we've played 2 of the best O-lines in the NFL 2 weeks in a row. The Jets and the Saints both have great O-lines.

A word of caution to those that are tickled pink by the team, this is preseason and it doesn't mean a thing. All teams are running a vanilla defense. Judge a team and formulate an opinion after week 3 of the regular season. Still the improvement in the team is nice to see.

Last edited by Wolf6151; 08-21-2011 at 02:39 AM.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-21-2011   #8
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 167919 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

There are some HUGE issues we need to resolve but I think we've got the coaches to solve them.

Our defense may not be the greatest defense in the world in terms of yardage this year, but it might be pretty good in terms of points and turnovers. And if our defense can get a lot of turnovers, that's going to make our offense that much more potent.
The one thing that impresses me is that we have yet to see the defense with all its parts in place .... Both J Jo and Ryans missed todays game and they were still downright nasty.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011   #9
honored82
Veteran

Rep Power: 4151 honored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
So overall. it is a no for you?
yea, overall i am pleased
honored82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011   #10
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm happy with the defensive results so far.

Last season was pure torture watching our secondary getting burned. This season, albeit a few plays, our secondary has improved by being in a position to make plays. Guys are swatting down balls rather than making isolation tackles.

Our front seven is getting good penetration. Hooray sack dance!

I just hope this carries over to the regular season.
Old 08-21-2011   #11
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6021 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Overall I'm happier than last week but still not satisfied. It was good to see the O playing well though I worry a little about the depth of the O-line due to injuries. The defense is a major concern. The secondary has gotten better than last year but that's not hard to do, but still not what I would consider good. The pass rush is better and their are individual players that offer hope for the future (Watt, Reed, etc...) but there are also players that offer legitimate reason for concern (Cushing, Ryans, Mario, Cody, Mitchell, and KJ) One thing is the same as last year though and that's the lack of consistency, you never know which Texans team will show up. We also seem to have more overall team speed than last year but still lack some size and toughness. It should be noted though that we've played 2 of the best O-lines in the NFL 2 weeks in a row. The Jets and the Saints both have great O-lines.

A word of caution to those that are tickled pink by the team, this is preseason and it doesn't mean a thing. All teams are running a vanilla defense. Judge a team and formulate an opinion after week 3 of the regular season. Still the improvement in the team is nice to see.
So do we put you in the no column?

As for me an emphatic yes. The defense doesn't have to be top 5, middle of the pack will work for the team to be successful. However, they do need to work on the run D. Maybe getting Ryans back in the middle will help.

Overall the defense is attacking the offense and I love it.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011   #12
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 201178 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

After our 2nd preseseason game, I am left with the impression that we will have a better offense this year. Which is saying a lot because our offense was pretty darn good last year. I also think our defense will be better, but I can't really judge how much better. The (1st team) defense looked good in spots, then they would bet burned again.

If the Texans can somehow get past their consistant 5-7 start and mid season slump, they could have a shot at the playoffs this year. It really depends on the defense though. If Wade does what he's advertised to do, we might finally see a real football team under those Texan helmets.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011   #13
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Overall pleased, especially with our RB's and Brooks Reed, wow!

Matt 'incompletion' Leinart... not so much...
Old 08-21-2011   #14
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 23440 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes!

This is only the second preseason game after an extremely short offseason with no OTA, mini-camps and 2 weeks to learn a new defense.

The defense was improved over last year in the first game and improved again in the second.

While we still may give up some big plays (most teams with very good defenses give up big plays at times) we sure do look a lot better. They don't look to give up after a big play but "suck it up" and make a play the next time.
The pressure on the QB has impoved and we are finally getting coverage sacks and incomplete passes with the pressure. The defense is getting take aways.

While there are still several areas the defense needs to improve - I think we can only get better as the year progresses.

The offense - well we all know we have a good offense. But with a healthy Tate added to the mixture - just wow.

I am glad this second game was against a playoff caliber offense - even though the starters only played the first half. Hopefully it gives the defense the confidence that they can play and play well against the "Big Boys".

Old 08-21-2011   #15
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 18132 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

It's the 2009 Saints team, I'm telling you... So many similarities, including mediocre seasons before the big boom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
The one thing that impresses me is that we have yet to see the defense with all its parts in place .... Both J Jo and Ryans missed todays game and they were still downright nasty.
Very good point there. JJo expected to play next game? I think the improved D play will let the offense and Kubiak become more relaxed and not as if they have to carry the entire team.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011   #16
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9284 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm pleased that the first team played well when they were in the game. I know better than to make much of last night because after all its pre season. We have to remember the Lions had a 4-0 pre season a few years ago and they the preceded to go 0-16 in the regular season.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011   #17
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 6498 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

Cautiously optimistic. I was excited to see a decent pass rush. Brees had his timing off on several plays and he missed some short dump passes because of it.

Mario looked better on run defense than last week, but still not sure how he's gonna do with a 2 point stance. Our run defense overall leaves a lot to be desired. The middle seems to be pretty easy to exploit.

I didn't hear Kareem Jackson's name much, he seemed to be better on staying with his guy, but he still buys into too many fakes and doesn't have the speed to recover.

Overall defense caused 3 turnovers which I hope they can do in the real game.

I was hoping Braman would make more plays and squeak onto the team, but he wasn't nearly as good this week as he was last.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011   #18
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1028 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
This sums it up for me.

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011   #19
sakebomb
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1859 sakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
Matt 'incompletion' Leinart... not so much...
Come on now. Give the man his due. It's "Hot Tub" Matt to you.
Old 08-21-2011   #20
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hradhak View Post
I didn't hear Kareem Jackson's name much, he seemed to be better on staying with his guy, but he still buys into too many fakes and doesn't have the speed to recover.
He allowed the Saints rookie WR to just blow by untouched and get deep on Manning. If he's coached to not bump the receiver at the line in cover 2, that's a problem. Looked like a mental lapse to me.

How can you not be happy with the starting offense's execution? And the defensive effort overall? The decision to go/stay small at NT is still questionable. The #2 CB (Jackson or Allen) is very questionable. The special teams are close to disturbing. Next week, Kubiak and Phillips put in an actual game plan and play the starters into the 2nd half. I'd like to see a dominant performance on both sides of the ball versus a mediocre Niners team.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read