Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-20-2011   #1
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 354624 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Some Unexpected Performances

1. Brooks Reed -- People have been saying that the kid looked terrible early in training camp but after last week and now what he did this week... Holy Crap! I had expected Brooks to get drafted in the first round so I was excited and happy when we got him in the 2nd. And the kid's starting to show why he should have been a 1st.

2. Scooter Berry -- I haven't even heard of this guy and he's running with the 2's. And he's playing hard.

3. Tim Jamison -- I'm afraid that Jamison might get cut in a numbers crunch. I've been singing his praises for a couple of years now. I was really excited about him coming out of college. But he's been making some plays this preseason.

4. Devard Darling -- This guy could be in the mix with Dickerson and Jean fighting for the last WR spot.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011   #2
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Some Unexpected Performances

Easily the most difficult cuts in Texans history.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011   #3
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 30799 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
Easily the most difficult cuts in Texans history.
I agree. They have a lot of tough decisions to make.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011   #4
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Jamison has as much of a shot as guys like Braman or Nading. Reed took a nice stand tonight and I think has secured a spot for himself. It's weird to hear him speak, he sounds very calm to the point of being...not so interested...and then on the field, he's an animal rushing.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011   #5
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
1. Brooks Reed -- People have been saying that the kid looked terrible early in training camp but after last week and now what he did this week... Holy Crap! I had expected Brooks to get drafted in the first round so I was excited and happy when we got him in the 2nd. And the kid's starting to show why he should have been a 1st.

2. Scooter Berry -- I haven't even heard of this guy and he's running with the 2's. And he's playing hard.

3. Tim Jamison -- I'm afraid that Jamison might get cut in a numbers crunch. I've been singing his praises for a couple of years now. I was really excited about him coming out of college. But he's been making some plays this preseason.

4. Devard Darling -- This guy could be in the mix with Dickerson and Jean fighting for the last WR spot.
What do the upcoming, difficult cuts say about Smithiak? A month ago, all we heard was how bad they suck. Nowadays, it's about which "diamond in the rough" we're gonna lose. The great part is that we're not even sure they'll clear waivers if we cut one. So many positions, so much young talent. This is how it feels to be a fan of a REAL NFL team. This town hasn't experienced that since 1992-93.
Old 08-20-2011   #6
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
This is how it feels to be a fan of a REAL NFL team. This town hasn't experienced that since 1992-93.
Watching that attacking defense constantly harassing the QB on passing downs, I had that precise sentiment. Not since the days of Warren Moon and Buddy Ryan have I seen such a complete game from a professional football team in Houston.
Old 08-20-2011   #7
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Watching that attacking defense constantly harassing the QB on passing downs, I had that precise sentiment. Not since the days of Warren Moon and Buddy Ryan have I seen such a complete game from a professional football team in Houston.
The House of Pain. I really hope Wade brings back the D of the late 70's. That D kicked serious azz. If we do that, we have a few SB's in our future.
Sponsored links
Old 08-21-2011   #8
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I mentioned berry when we got him. I think he makes the team. He has a lot of talent and he has a big round body.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011   #9
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Jamison will make the team. He had a very good game today and pressure from the interior is just too valuable an asset. A few of the dbs will more than likely get cut.
Old 08-21-2011   #10
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Quote:
The House of Pain. I really hope Wade brings back the D of the late 70's. That D kicked serious azz. If we do that, we have a few SB's in our future.
I always respected Wade but I hadn't expected this kind of pressure, sacks, turnovers. I love that kind of football. Watching the opposing quarterback struggle is one of the most enjoyable things in the game of football.
Old 08-21-2011   #11
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I always respected Wade but I hadn't expected this kind of pressure, sacks, turnovers. I love that kind of football. Watching the opposing quarterback struggle is one of the most enjoyable things in the game of football.
It's been a long time since we've seen an NFL caliber D around here. I was hoping to see this in the regular season, but not in the preseason.
Old 08-21-2011   #12
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26865 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

agree, love Wade Phillips
MEGA SWATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011   #13
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 201896 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What do the upcoming, difficult cuts say about Smithiak? A month ago, all we heard was how bad they suck. Nowadays, it's about which "diamond in the rough" we're gonna lose. The great part is that we're not even sure they'll clear waivers if we cut one. So many positions, so much young talent. This is how it feels to be a fan of a REAL NFL team. This town hasn't experienced that since 1992-93.
Not sure if Smith gets any credit for this draft or UDFAs.
Old 08-21-2011   #14
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 354624 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Not sure if Smith gets any credit for this draft or UDFAs.
I'll give it to him.

I think the drafts are a combo of Smith, his scouting staff, and the positional coaches and coordinators hashing out who they want and how bad. I've said it in some other threads, but I think a lot of Smith's "problem" with DBs and other defensive players were more because of our defensive coaches than any failing on his part.

Now that he's working with someone who knows what he wants, he's making better choices. That trade up to get Brandon Harris was totally on Smith.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011   #15
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 201896 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'll give it to him.

I think the drafts are a combo of Smith, his scouting staff, and the positional coaches and coordinators hashing out who they want and how bad. I've said it in some other threads, but I think a lot of Smith's "problem" with DBs and other defensive players were more because of our defensive coaches than any failing on his part.

Now that he's working with someone who knows what he wants, he's making better choices. That trade up to get Brandon Harris was totally on Smith.
I'll buy that.
Old 08-21-2011   #16
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

I like how every inch looks like a fight.
Old 08-21-2011   #17
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS4MARIO View Post
agree, love Wade Phillips
Me too. The only thing I don't like is the fact that he doesn't want a big nt to plug the middle
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011   #18
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Hell its been longer than that .... Probably since Bum was shown the door. They had a few good years after that .... but nothing special. 35-3 still sticks in my craw .... bleeping gimickey offense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
Me too. The only thing I don't like is the fact that he doesn't want a big nt to plug the middle

I dont doubt that if there was one to be had , they would have brought that player in .... I dont need is coach speak for we have a hole there but we'll deal with it .... Kinda like what Kubiak said about the young secondary last season , he didnt have much choice but to deal with it.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011   #19
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Jamison is going to make the team for sure. He might be the first DE off the bench if he keeps this up. I'm not saying that because of his sack either, he was getting consistent push in game 1 and I'll have to go back and check this game but I imagine it was more of the same.
Old 08-21-2011   #20
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
Jamison is going to make the team for sure. He might be the first DE off the bench if he keeps this up. I'm not saying that because of his sack either, he was getting consistent push in game 1 and I'll have to go back and check this game but I imagine it was more of the same.
He was involved in a lot of positive plays .... No doubt he's pushing for playing time and a roster spot.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read