Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-20-2011   #1
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Can I get a run defense?????

Has anyone seen what happened to our run D? & I'm not talking about just the NT. We're getting beat on the edges. We're getting beat up the middle. We're getting beat on the draw... & the screen......

Is there something we have coming up to make us believe it's going to get better?
Old 08-20-2011   #2
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Can I get a run defense?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Has anyone seen what happened to our run D? & I'm not talking about just the NT. We're getting beat on the edges. We're getting beat up the middle. We're getting beat on the draw... & the screen......

Is there something we have coming up to make us believe it's going to get better?
Did you mean to post this on a sAints forum?
Old 08-20-2011   #3
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 199795 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I thought it was a little better today than it was on Monday. So that's a plus.

Hopefully, it just needs a little time. Like one more week.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011   #4
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I thought it was a little better today than it was on Monday. So that's a plus.

Hopefully, it just needs a little time. Like one more week.
You have to figure in the equation that last week was the Jets. they WILL run the ball. Period. That's just how Fatboy Ryan is.
Old 08-20-2011   #5
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14152 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Nope, but you can get a turnover.

Seriously though our Run D always takes a hit when Demeco is not in there, he just makes it all better.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011   #6
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

i think this 3-4 hybrid isnt quite right yet when it comes to Run D
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011   #7
nytexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 1435 nytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
i think this 3-4 hybrid isnt quite right yet when it comes to Run D
Well there are 2 issues, 1 is the Saints have possibly the best interior OL, GCG, combo in football. 2 it appears to me that with this new defense they're still trying to figure out their gap assignments. Sounds easy but if 1 guy is out of place there appears to be a giant gap in the front 7.

From the little I could see they weren't getting blown off the ball as you would normally think when the other team is running the ball well. Which normally means this is very correctable by coaching and taking more reps. This could be an issue for longer than we would hope unless Cushing and Ryans (yes he does have an S in his name) start to get some reps together.
Old 08-20-2011   #8
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans are playing a penetrating style 34 without an anchor in the middle.

A big space eating guy would absolutely help, but the guys we have can get it done although it will require a unique effort. If Mitchell can hold the middle down he will have a pro bowl season easily.

If the texans can find a big guy that can hold the point of attack our short yardage d will be better.

I think Earl and Cody will make some plays there, but I wonder about their consistency. Become consistent there or find a big guy you can rotate in there to do it and our d will be very very good.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011   #9
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 49664 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

From what I was seeing, it wasn't just the NT, it was the LBs not stepping up int he hole and making the play. The NTs were drawing doubles but I didn't see the MLBs hitting the hole and stopping the run...

Hopefully when DeMeco comes back and Cushing can get a handle on this or the run defense will be the problem of 2011...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011   #10
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14152 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

I did hear Cushing's name tonight, I remember him making a play but unfortunately I don't remember what it is he did.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011   #11
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

i wish we had a Fat albert type NT along with COdy just to go in there on run plays
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011   #12
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the focus has been on stopping the passing devastation. The DBs are incrementally better and the front 7 are disrupting the QB and those were targets one and two in any order you choose. There was minimal yardage against us if I tallied correctly and no long rushing TDs. That is success in my book. The run D will improve.
Old 08-20-2011   #13
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171454 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I got the idea that they were too concerned with the pass and were overly aggressive which lead to open holes to run thru .... They werent getting beat physically .... it was overaggressiveness and the best way to beat an aggressive defense is with draws and screens.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011   #14
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Cody and mitchell are killing the lbs. They're getting turned or straight moved out the hole and its allowing the others to be accounted for. Hopefully wade is telling jamal to stay in shape for after week 1.
Old 08-21-2011   #15
TdotTexas2Step
All Pro

Rep Power: 1975 TdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm glad others feel this is a concern regardless of our excellent preseason play. I felt like on that first drive, the Saints could have marched all the way to the endzone if they had ran the ball every play. They had a couple of successful runs that we couldn't do anything about. And then on a pass play, we were able to get pressure and force a turnover.

I don't want to take anything away from both the defense and offense today, especially during the first half, but hopefully our boys work some stuff out regarding the run defence.
TdotTexas2Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011   #16
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 199795 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TdotTexas2Step View Post
I'm glad others feel this is a concern regardless of our excellent preseason play. I felt like on that first drive, the Saints could have marched all the way to the endzone if they have ran the ball every play. They had a couple of successful runs that we couldn't do anything about. And then on a pass play, we were able to get pressure and force a turnover.

I don't want to take anything away from both the defense and offense today, especially during the first half, but hopefully our boys work some stuff out regarding the run defence.
This has been my biggest fear when hearing about this defense and how they planned to construct it. I know the idea is for our NT to shade on the center and operate more like a penetrating DT but still, it worries me. I'm not concerned about offensive coordinators trying to scheme to force Mario into coverage very much but I am concerned about our interior defense against the run.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011   #17
coon
Veteran

Rep Power: 4738 coon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respected

anyone know where i can watch the game online for free
coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011   #18
Kimmy 
RealGirls LvFB!

Section: 321
Rep Power: 18204 Kimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by coon View Post
anyone know where i can watch the game online for free
Games over dude! We won BTW - NFL Network will be replaying the game. Not sure of the date/time, check the website
Old 08-21-2011   #19
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
i wish we had a Fat albert type NT along with COdy just to go in there on run plays

Did you happen to notice the fat albert type in the middle of the Saints line?

Niether did anyone else.

On second thoughts maybe we should dress Studdard up for defense when he gets healthy enough.
Old 08-21-2011   #20
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 717 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmy View Post
Games over dude! We won BTW - NFL Network will be replaying the game. Not sure of the date/time, check the website
speaking of the nfl network...why the hell did they black out the NFL network during the game? pissed me off.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read