Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-20-2011   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans salary cap number shines a light on Mario Williams' contract

Quote:
Don't look now but the Texans have a little bit of a salary cap issue.

We've known this for a while as the Texans had to re-structure the contracts of DeMeco Ryans, Andre Johnson and Antonio Smith on August 4 to get under their league mandated cap figure. But we didn't know their exact revised number until today.

The Texans are only $866,544 under their cap number, according to Jason La Canfora of nfl.com. That's not a lot in case you were wondering. In fact, there are only two teams in the league in worse shape capwise, according to the list posted by La Canfora.

Only the top 51 salaries on NFL teams currently count against the cap. But when Week 1 rolls around, all 53 player salaries on the roster will count against the cap, as will the salaries of players on injured reserve (if their contract is guaranteed against injury), settlements to players waived-injured, and practice squad players.

At least those were the rules in the last collective bargaining agreement.

The Texans could shave a little bit here or a little bit there to get more cap room, but there's one big whopper of a contract out there that's just begging to be re-worked for cap purposes.

Mario Williams is in the final year of his rookie deal and will be paid a base salary of nearly $14 million this year, all of which counts on the cap.

Generally, in a capped year when you have a situation like that (and you plan to keep the player) you re-do the contract by converting a large portion of the base salary to bonus, pay the player the bonus immediately and amortize that amount over future years for cap accounting purposes, thereby reducing the player's base salary and current cap figure.

In the case of Williams, a re-do could save several million off his and the Texans cap number.

So why aren't the Texans working on this, like, yesterday?

Maybe they are.

But maybe they aren't.

Quote:
Note: Reader Wade Harrison points out below that profootballtalk.com has the Texans at $2.2 million under and I don't know the reason for the discrepancy. For now I'm going to assume worst case until I find out something different.
http://www.examiner.com/houston-texa...liams-contract
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011   #2
XI CMURDER IX
Gig 'em

Rep Power: 1517 XI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans salary cap number shines a light on Mario Williams' contract

I hate to say it, but maybe they should seriously think about a trade... I know Mario is an integral part of this defenses success, but it just might not be worth it. The only team I can think of right now that might be in need of his service and have a player the Texans might want is the Denver Broncos. Elvis Dumervil is a very good 3-4 pass rusher, and would benefit the transition in my opinion. Package that with one of the 4-3 linebackers we have left over and I would take that deal.

EDIT: I mean this before the season starts, not right now. I still want to see if Mario can play this position and be successful at it.
XI CMURDER IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011   #3
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 25589 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I wonder whats going on with Mario, are the Texans biding their time and seeing if he's a fit in the 3-4 before pulling the trigger, or are they just expecting to let him walk at the end of the year.

Are they hoping he lowers his market value somewhat with a shaky transition season so they can lock him in to a favourable deal later on?

If they had outright confidence in his ability to be the next Ware you'd think they'd have tied him up to a long term deal and worked the numbers favourably for cap purposes.

Maybe Mario has straight up said he wants to be a 4-3 end and will take his $14m and walk at the end of the year. That would be a shame for the Texans because you feel he's had good seasons here but he can have truly great seasons in the future, even at his best so far there have been nagging injuries and poor talent around him.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011   #4
BetaV1
Veteran

Rep Power: 3509 BetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respected

If we were legit in the mix for the Asomugha sweepstakes, then I highly doubt we are in cap hell as much as people think.

Sunshine.

-Credit to False Start for this signature-
BetaV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011   #5
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't pay him $14 million for this year alone, just to try him out for the 2011 season and see if he works out in Wade's 3-4 defense.

We held onto Carr one year too long. Ditto on Dunta. And now, we have a VERY trade-friendly situation with Mario Williams.

I'm fine with trading him. We're finally to a point, IMO, where Mario no longer defines this defense nor is the main component in it. There was a time when we had nothing BUT Mario, then Dunta was "the man" behind him...and the rest of the defense was a patchwork of draft picks and street free agents.

I also think part of the Bob McNair plan for hiring Wade Phillips and "Going BIG" in this past free agency period, was to create a defense that can stand alone without Mario there. It was a contingency plan, IMO, to make a Plan B for the day when Mario and his agent might play the "Pay Me, Rick" card.

To me, Mario means more to the Texans as (a) a trade for a player who might be a better 3-4 defense guy, and (b) a lesser cap number so we can afford Arian Foster and others. Plus, it removes a potentially bad locker room environment if the schit ever does go down over his contract negotiations.

And I think you do that before week 1 of reg season, which seems unlikely to happen.

I think Bob will splurge $14 million out of his secret stash of cash and say "Oh well, screw it. Let's see if he sinks or swims here." The only problem with that is you lost a trade option--but hey, we could still try and trade him up until trade deadline too--and then we'd better have options in the draft and/or free agency to fill that spot with competency.

The trade value seems great right now, IMO.
Old 08-20-2011   #6
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34365 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

How about MW for A. Samuel, Nate Allen and a pick (1st? 2nd?)... Eagles would be sick with Mario, and we`d have a All-Pro secondary. But can Watt, Smith, Barwin and Reed create enough pressure?
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011   #7
VTexan
The Realist

Rep Power: 15483 VTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario Williams for Desean Jackson.

VTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-20-2011   #8
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 27679 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Not another one of these threads.

The man has been in the top tier of pass rushers in the league for the past 4 years and is now just making a transition to a new spot, where he has played a grand total of 15 snaps. Don't you think we should give him some time first?
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011   #9
XI CMURDER IX
Gig 'em

Rep Power: 1517 XI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Not another one of these threads.

The man has been in the top tier of pass rushers in the league for the past 4 years and is now just making a transition to a new spot, where he has played a grand total of 15 snaps. Don't you think we should give him some time first?
It isn't one of "these threads." I don't think anyone said that the Texans should trade him ASAP(at least from what I have gathered that is.) He could potentially be the best player on the defense this year, but then again he might not be. Is he really worth the 14 million dollar price tag though?
XI CMURDER IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011   #10
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by XI CMURDER IX View Post
It isn't one of "these threads." I don't think anyone said that the Texans should trade him ASAP(at least from what I have gathered that is.) He could potentially be the best player on the defense this year, but then again he might not be. Is he really worth the 14 million dollar price tag though?
Apparently when the contract was negotiated the Texans thought he was worth every penny.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011   #11
Surreal McCoy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13530 Surreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I wouldn't pay him $14 million for this year alone, just to try him out for the 2011 season and see if he works out in Wade's 3-4 defense.

We held onto Carr one year too long. Ditto on Dunta. And now, we have a VERY trade-friendly situation with Mario Williams.

I'm fine with trading him. We're finally to a point, IMO, where Mario no longer defines this defense nor is the main component in it. There was a time when we had nothing BUT Mario, then Dunta was "the man" behind him...and the rest of the defense was a patchwork of draft picks and street free agents.

I also think part of the Bob McNair plan for hiring Wade Phillips and "Going BIG" in this past free agency period, was to create a defense that can stand alone without Mario there. It was a contingency plan, IMO, to make a Plan B for the day when Mario and his agent might play the "Pay Me, Rick" card.

To me, Mario means more to the Texans as (a) a trade for a player who might be a better 3-4 defense guy, and (b) a lesser cap number so we can afford Arian Foster and others. Plus, it removes a potentially bad locker room environment if the schit ever does go down over his contract negotiations.

And I think you do that before week 1 of reg season, which seems unlikely to happen.

I think Bob will splurge $14 million out of his secret stash of cash and say "Oh well, screw it. Let's see if he sinks or swims here." The only problem with that is you lost a trade option--but hey, we could still try and trade him up until trade deadline too--and then we'd better have options in the draft and/or free agency to fill that spot with competency.

The trade value seems great right now, IMO.
Great post and also an opinion I've been espousing for a while. It's not that he's unproductive, it's that his production is in no way commensurate with his cap number. Lance Z mentioned the possibility of franchising him and looking for a trade next season, which if he fails to become a true game changer in Wade's system, then I would agree.
Surreal McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011   #12
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Unless I am suffering deja vu and I am waterlogged from hours of swimming pool volleyball, this article was discussed in a thread earlier this week. In that thread I pointed out that the $800k was below the $120million but we are allowed to go over $3m more in cash benefits to a player. We can then borrow another $3million more from a future year if needed.

I would be open to a trade for Mario but not just any trade. I would take the offer above for Samuel, Nate Allen & a pick, but no way Eagles offer that at least not now.

We are under the cap and have no issue unless someone comes available we could use and our Cap guru will work magic. I would not re-work Mario until we know how he will do in the 5-2. Everything is on Texans side of the negotiating table right now.
Old 08-20-2011   #13
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9350 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Unless I am suffering deja vu and I am waterlogged from hours of swimming pool volleyball, this article was discussed in a thread earlier this week. In that thread I pointed out that the $800k was below the $120million but we are allowed to go over $3m more in cash benefits to a player. We can then borrow another $3million more from a future year if needed.

I would be open to a trade for Mario but not just any trade. I would take the offer above for Samuel, Nate Allen & a pick, but no way Eagles offer that at least not now.

We are under the cap and have no issue unless someone comes available we could use and our Cap guru will work magic. I would not re-work Mario until we know how he will do in the 5-2. Everything is on Texans side of the negotiating table right now.
LOL The light is coming on. Do not rework under any circumstance. I mentioned trade before but I don't thimk many if any teams are interested in making a trade. Just my opinion. Not the OP this time. LOL

Last edited by gafftop; 08-20-2011 at 10:24 PM. Reason: sp
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011   #14
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9350 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected

Just read article. More polished than my post last week but YEP If any trade occurs I think we may need to eat some of that cap. I am not sure that is legal. I just don't think Mario is worth 14 mil to anyone. Just my opinion
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011   #15
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 147070 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Do believe Mario will not do as well
at lb than at de. Not because he can't handle the position but because he knows de makes more money than an lb. Either way I think he'll seek top 5 type money but I dint think he's worth that money. I like the idea of franchisng him and taking offers for him then. Besides I think if Wade stays he'll find good players to fill our needs.
Old 08-21-2011   #16
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the Texans are playing a wait and see game with Mario to find out if he fits the OLB position and if he's worth the huge FA contract he'll be looking for next year. If he sucks then they can let him walk or re-sign him to a team friendly contract and if he's great then they'll most likely put the franchise tag on him as an OLB which is cheaper than as a DE. I also think the Watt and Reed picks were insurance against losing Mario next year. I think the smart thing to do would be to follow the New England Patriots example and trade a high quality player when they have one year left on their contract so that you get a good return. I'd trade him for picks in the 2012 and 2013 drafts. I just don't see any way that Mario plays lights out/pro bowl level this year making him worthy of a grossly expensive FA contract next year. I also think McNair is hesitant to trade Mario since he's a big time overrated ticket selling attraction and face of the franchise. JMO.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011   #17
BullsOnParade
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 283 BullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm okay with the fact that we might not get anything in return if Mario walks after this year. You've got to see if this going to work over the course of a full season. It sure would be nice to lock up Arian Foster to a multi-year deal, and with an extra $14 million, we could do that.
BullsOnParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011   #18
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 25589 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

However he plays this season, he's going to get paid upper-end money for a DE next off season, whether that is by the Texans or a 4-3 team remains to be seen.

You'd have to think that Wade would be fairly confident that whether he's got MW or not next year, he can be successful especially after another draft to put the talent in place.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011   #19
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 120523 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Does anyone think we may not have re-done Mario's contract because he didn't want to play DE in a 3/4? I still don't understand how all the talk around him went from being the next Bruce smith to "he is athletic enough to handle a Demarcus Ware role". Who would you rather have a Smith on our D-line or a Ware at OLB? No brainer! There is something going on that we haven't heard about YET.
Old 08-21-2011   #20
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

How about draft day trade involving Mario?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read