Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-18-2011   #1
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18096 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans' Tate said he will play against Saints

Texans' Tate said he will play against Saints
By JOHN McCLAIN

Texans running back Ben Tate expects to play in the upcoming preseason game.

Share Del.icio.usDiggTwitterFacebookStumbleUponEmail Close [X]There was good news and bad news at the Texans' morning practice.

The good news is that running back Ben Tate was back on the field. He said he would play against New Orleans on Saturday night.

Coach Gary Kubiak said he hopes Tate can play against the Saints, but he'll wait to make a decision. He wants to make sure his second-year runner is 100 percent.

The bad news is that inside linebacker DeMeco Ryans sat out another practice because of a bruised elbow. In regular season, an elbow injury wouldn't keep Ryans out, but Saturday is the second preseason game.

Running back Arian Foster practiced for the second day in a row. Cornerback Johnathan Joseph, who suffered a groin injury last week, returned to practice.

Kubiak plans to play many of his starters the first two quarters.

Quarterback Matt Schaub looked good in practice. He completed six long passes. Andre Johnson made a highlight catch, the kind he's known for. He'll play for the first time on Saturday.

Rookie receiver Lestar Jean, an undrafted free agent from Florida Atlantic, had another good practice. He caught almost everything thrown to him and continued to improve as a blocker.

After practice, Kubiak praised a lot of players, including inside linebackers Xavier Adibi and Darryl Sharpton. The Texans went to camp looking for depth at linebacker. With Adibi, who is much more physical than in the past, and Sharpton on the inside and Brooks Reed and Jesse Nading on the outside, the Texans may be developing some quality depth.

And that doesn't even count Bryan Braman, the 6-5, 230-pound undrafted free agent from West Texas A&M. He had 1 1/2 sacks off the bench in the victory over the Jets. Braman, who is quite a character off the field, has a chance to make the team at best and the practice squad at worst.

The Texans have a special teams practice this afternoon. It's the last of two-a-day drills. Camp officially ends Monday. The first roster reduction is after the third game against San Francisco.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...ns+Football%29
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011   #2
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 18937 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans' Tate said he will play against Saints

Cushing doesn't return to his rookie form, he may find himself on the bench...or eventually cut.
Old 08-18-2011   #3
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31247 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
Texans' Tate said he will play against Saints
By JOHN McCLAIN

Texans running back Ben Tate expects to play in the upcoming preseason game.

Share Del.icio.usDiggTwitterFacebookStumbleUponEmail Close [X]There was good news and bad news at the Texans' morning practice.

The good news is that running back Ben Tate was back on the field. He said he would play against New Orleans on Saturday night.

Coach Gary Kubiak said he hopes Tate can play against the Saints, but he'll wait to make a decision. He wants to make sure his second-year runner is 100 percent.

The bad news is that inside linebacker DeMeco Ryans sat out another practice because of a bruised elbow. In regular season, an elbow injury wouldn't keep Ryans out, but Saturday is the second preseason game.

Running back Arian Foster practiced for the second day in a row. Cornerback Johnathan Joseph, who suffered a groin injury last week, returned to practice.

Kubiak plans to play many of his starters the first two quarters.

Quarterback Matt Schaub looked good in practice. He completed six long passes. Andre Johnson made a highlight catch, the kind he's known for. He'll play for the first time on Saturday.

Rookie receiver Lestar Jean, an undrafted free agent from Florida Atlantic, had another good practice. He caught almost everything thrown to him and continued to improve as a blocker.

After practice, Kubiak praised a lot of players, including inside linebackers Xavier Adibi and Darryl Sharpton. The Texans went to camp looking for depth at linebacker. With Adibi, who is much more physical than in the past, and Sharpton on the inside and Brooks Reed and Jesse Nading on the outside, the Texans may be developing some quality depth.

And that doesn't even count Bryan Braman, the 6-5, 230-pound undrafted free agent from West Texas A&M. He had 1 1/2 sacks off the bench in the victory over the Jets. Braman, who is quite a character off the field, has a chance to make the team at best and the practice squad at worst.

The Texans have a special teams practice this afternoon. It's the last of two-a-day drills. Camp officially ends Monday. The first roster reduction is after the third game against San Francisco.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...ns+Football%29
This is really good news. I thought he played well enough the other night to earn some additional reps and hopefully he'll make the best out of his opportunities. Good for him.
Cjeremy635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011   #4
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 41089 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

No mention of Studdard or Caldwell. Any updates on either?
Old 08-18-2011   #5
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31247 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
No mention of Studdard or Caldwell. Any updates on either?
I would guess that Studdard is going to miss some significant time, but I could be wrong. I think his knee was injured, IIRC.
Old 08-18-2011   #6
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 41089 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjeremy635 View Post
I would guess that Studdard is going to miss some significant time, but I could be wrong. I think his knee was injured, IIRC.
Ankle I believe. I've heard "weeks" to "season"
You'd think there'd be some updates this far after the injury
Old 08-18-2011   #7
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Both at least high ankle sprains. Studdard likely more. They should know the extent of Studdard's by now (MRI), but silence only.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-18-2011   #8
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

If Braman continues to perform well, he won't make it to our PS.

This is where the coaches have got to know who would sneak onto the PS after waivers clear, and which players have to make the 53-man roster.

Braman and Jean, if they continue to go as steady as they did in Game 1, won't make it to our PS.

I also want to point out that WTAMU plays a 3-4 style of defense...so that means Braman knows how to function in it.
Old 08-18-2011   #9
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Ankle I believe. I've heard "weeks" to "season"
You'd think there'd be some updates this far after the injury
OK, my mistake. All I really remember about Studdard getting injured was when he pushed the trainers away from him when they tried to help him off of the field. I never gave it much thought after that.

Just curious, but is this guys always hurt or do we just not dress him on game days? It seems like I always see him on the sideline during the games and he's in regular clothes, not a uni. Anyone else notice this? It may not be "every game", but it seems like I've seen it enough to make a mental note of it.
Old 08-18-2011   #10
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
OK, my mistake. All I really remember about Studdard getting injured was when he pushed the trainers away from him when they tried to help him off of the field. I never gave it much thought after that.

Just curious, but is this guys always hurt or do we just not dress him on game days? It seems like I always see him on the sideline during the games and he's in regular clothes, not a uni. Anyone else notice this? It may not be "every game", but it seems like I've seen it enough to make a mental note of it.
He's inactive a lot, not being a part of the 48 on gameday

I can't remember if they decided to change that rule in the new CBA
Old 08-18-2011   #11
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 23247 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

It will be good to see Tate in action. I think if he's healthy, he will be Arian's primary backup eventually.
Old 08-18-2011   #12
sandman
Veteran

Rep Power: 15846 sandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaayteetx View Post
Cushing doesn't return to his rookie form, he may find himself on the bench...or eventually cut.

I love it when PS fodder blows up the first pre-season game.
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011   #13
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 18937 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman View Post

ya...we'll see
Old 08-19-2011   #14
XI CMURDER IX
Gig 'em

Rep Power: 1517 XI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respected

Slaton tweeted a couple of hours ago that he was back. So maybe we will see both of them Saturday.
XI CMURDER IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011   #15
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 156181 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

good, it's crowded in the backfield again. I like that.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011   #16
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 58383 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
good, it's crowded in the backfield again. I like that.
Watching Ogobbanaya play well sure lit a fire under their asses huh?
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011   #17
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 156181 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Watching Ogobbanaya play well sure lit a fire under their asses huh?
That, and Kubiak getting on Tate.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011   #18
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15056 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by XI CMURDER IX View Post
Slaton tweeted a couple of hours ago that he was back. So maybe we will see both of them Saturday.
I think he meant he was back on Twitter, not back from injury.
Old 08-19-2011   #19
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 12478 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman View Post

We have not seen Cushing return to rookie form since the PED bust, and has been injured a lot since then. I don't think it's out of scope to say at this point he has to prove himself now. The way Sharpton/Abidi are playing sure puts pressure on him to get it in gear.. he's gonna need to juice it soon lol.

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011   #20
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 114714 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
That, and Kubiak getting on Tate.
And I don't blame him.

Given 2nd-round boy's lack of performance while our UDFA was leading the league in rushing I can totally see why Kubiak never wanted to waste a first day pick on a RB. It's probably a bit extreme, but I can see why he felt that way.

let the bashing commence
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read