Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-18-2011   #1
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans projected 53 man roster

http://www.battleredblog.com/2011/8/...n-bryan-braman

QB - Matt Schaub/Matt Leinart/Matt T.J. Yates

They are the only three quarterbacks on the team and each plays a key role to the 53-man roster. Schaub's the unquestioned starter, Leinart's the capable back-up (How's that taste, Orlovsky?), and Yates is the developmental emergency project.

RB - Arian Foster/Derrick Ward/Ben Tate

I imagine Steve Slaton is cut or traded due to not having a role on the team. I hope Tate will get healthy and show what he's made of as I stupidly hope Chris Ogbonnaya makes it through waivers. I cannot see the Texans abandoning a second-round rookie in his second year.

FB - Lawrence Vickers/James Casey

Ol' Coach Kubiak might platoon both fullbacks to ease on wear and tear over the course of a season. Versatility is going to be the key difference in a lot of roster spot battles. Casey can long-snap, play special teams coverage, and line up at tight end, H-Back, and fullback.

WR - Andre Johnson/Kevin Walter/Jacoby Jones/Dorin Dickerson/Lester Jean

The top four receivers need no explanation. If Lester Jean continues to impress in practice and during games then he will also require no explanation. Jeff Maehl and Terrence Toliver are my practice squad hopes out of this group.

TE - Owen Daniels/Joel Dreessen/Garrett Graham

Anthony Hill, I think it's time for you to get sit on someone else's injured reserve list.

OT - Duane Brown/Eric Winston/Rashad Butler

I love that we have experienced linemen. I really do. Cole Pemberton and Derek Newton, hit the practice squad.

OG - Wade Smith/Mike Brisiel/Antoine Caldwell/Shelley Smith

I hope we have seen the last of Kasey Studdard with his injury. I also think Shelley Smith is very underrated, so hopefully he can get some snaps to show how much better he is than Studdard. Caldwell and the Smiths can also swing to play center should anything happen there, so we have some versatility built in.

C - Chris Myers

The underrated Myers continues to roll solo as the only true center on the roster. At some point, I would like the Texans to pick up a late round kid to groom as losing Myers could cause more problems than one would think.

DE - J.J. Watt/Antonio Smith/Damione Lewis/Tim Bulman/Tim Jamison

You need good defensive line depth, so I'm picking five here. Aside from Lewis, I can tell you at least one good play that each of the defensive ends made on Monday night. Three of them can also slide in and play defensive tackle in a nickel defense.

NT - Earl Mitchell/Shaun Cody

I wish there were a third body here, but these two are really the only locks at NT on the roster. Let's hope Earl Mitchell doesn't ever get hurt or that roster cuts force another team to part with a solid NT.

ILB - DeMeco Ryans/Brian Cushing/Xavier Adibi/Darryl Sharpton

I never thought I'd say this, but I'm driving the Adibi Bandwagon. No player looked better on Monday night in my eyes. I can't wait to get another look at Adibi with the first-team defense come Saturday.

OLB - Mario Williams/Connor Barwin/Brooks Reed/Jesse Nading/Bryan Braman

Wild Braman might force Kubiak's hand here. He was too impactful to be left to the waiver wire. He will be a lock if he can bring that energy to special teams. Steven Friday is a guy I hope can make the practice squad as I liked him during the draft season and on Monday night.

CB - Johnathan Joseph/Jason Allen/Kareem Jackson/Brandon Harris/Brice McCain/Sherrick McManis

Roc Carmichael may be a IR stash or practice squader because this position is crowded with big-name veterans and high draft picks. McManis could also find his way to safety with his skill set, but I can't see any of these six guys not being on the roster. The competition for snaps on the back-end should help keep everyone's efforts up.

S - Glover Quin/Danieal Manning/Troy Nolan/Shiloh Keo

Keo better improve his tackling or else he could be practice squad fodder. You cannot play special teams in the NFL if you cannot tackle. The other three are locks barring a miraculous performance by Torri Williams or Quintin Demps.

ST - Neil Rackers, Brett Hartmann, Jon Weeks

The rookie wins the punting competition in week one, in part due to his kickoff leg. Rackers and Weeks can coast until September 11th. For Weeks' sake, he better hope that there's not an extreme excess amount of talent impressing because Dreessen and Casey can both long-snap.
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011   #2
huynhct
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 huynhct is a quality contributor and well respectedhuynhct is a quality contributor and well respectedhuynhct is a quality contributor and well respectedhuynhct is a quality contributor and well respectedhuynhct is a quality contributor and well respectedhuynhct is a quality contributor and well respectedhuynhct is a quality contributor and well respectedhuynhct is a quality contributor and well respectedhuynhct is a quality contributor and well respectedhuynhct is a quality contributor and well respectedhuynhct is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans projected 53 man roster

dobbins
huynhct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011   #3
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Dobbins>Nading

Newton>Keo or Weeks

Overall you did a great job. Repped
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011   #4
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

I know people keep saying Casey is a long snapper, but has anyone actually seen him long snap in a game?

And why would Brice McCain be a lock for the 53? He was terrible last year, there's no guarantee for him in my mind. I wouldn't be surprised to see him cut.
Old 08-18-2011   #5
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I really like your 53 a lot. I really really like Maehl but was super impressed with Jean. My offense and special teams is identical to yours.

As for defense the only change I would consider would be adding Dobbins at ILB and dropping Jamison or Bulman (probably Jamison). I would do that because of the injury concerns I have with Demeco AND Cushing, our two starts. I think having 2 starting 34 DEs with 2 Backups is fine to start the season with. In passing downs we'll be in the 43 with Mario/Connor moving up to DE and Watt/Smith bumping inside to DT. Cody/Mitchell still there at DT in those situations too with Lewis, Bulman backing up... Smith could even play outside. Lots of options. But due to the concerns I have for our two starting ILBs, I'd like an extra backup in there.

Secondary, I probably don't change a thing. Agreed on Roc hitting IR. Demps will have to show he can really be a great return man to make the 53, otherwise I'm not cutting Keo/Nolan just for him.

Addition: Don't be surprised as there are roster cuts if we can add a quality signing that makes the squad.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011   #6
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Dobbins will probably make the team and demps is likely to make it over keo.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011   #7
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I would cut Yates and practice squad him.
Sponsored links
Old 08-18-2011   #8
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I agree with you Yates to practice squad Casey could be emergency QB lol
Old 08-18-2011   #9
srrono
Hall of Fame

guys this isnt my projected final 53 i have a link to the source on post.
Old 08-18-2011   #10
XI CMURDER IX
Gig 'em

Rep Power: 1517 XI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought you could have 54 players this year on the final roster? This is only 53...

Last edited by XI CMURDER IX; 08-18-2011 at 10:38 AM. Reason: EDIT: Scratch that, they are just getting rid of the 3rd quarterback designation. Allowing 46 active players on gameday.
XI CMURDER IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011   #11
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9610 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by XI CMURDER IX View Post
I thought you could have 54 players this year on the final roster? This is only 53...
I think the rule is 46 active players on gameday instead of the usual 45.
Old 08-18-2011   #12
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9610 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Overall this list looks a lot like the one I made a couple days ago. Roc Carmichael will make this team if he is healthy which means one of Brice McCain or Sherrick McManus probably doesn't stick. I like Sherrick more. Even though Brice had a decent game yesterday I thought he was as bad or worse than Kareem last year and its gonna take a lot more for me to sign off on him making this team. Outside of that I think Anthony Hill could be the most difficult decision. He looked like stale dog poo on at least 1 special teams play but I know Gary will want that 4th TE who can block in the running game (even if we never actually see the guy during a real game).

I like the way our backup ends played in game 1 but I think defensive line is a place we could be scouring the waiver wire when cut day rolls around. Igor Olshansky seems to have lost his starting spot with the Cowboys and he makes a good amount of money for a backup. He has played under Wade for two franchises now, why not make it a third? Also I still wouldnt mind picking up Pat Williams to bring our NT total to three. If these two moves happen I imagine Damione Lewis is on the outs and only 1 of Bulman/Jameson make the cut. I like them both, probably Jameson a bit more but it likely comes down to special teams.
Old 08-18-2011   #13
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41142 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No I don't think we want to risk that because we might not see him again when he's placed on the waiver wire, which I believe is the rout he'd have to take to go the the PS. I think Yates is a pretty good looking prospect.
And Srrono, I really like your proposed roster.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011   #14
XI CMURDER IX
Gig 'em

Rep Power: 1517 XI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
No I don't think we want to risk that because we might not see him again when he's placed on the waiver wire, which I believe is the rout he'd have to take to go the the PS. I think Yates is a pretty good looking prospect.
Exactly, Yates isn't going to make it past waivers. The Redskins might pick him up or a team like that.
XI CMURDER IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011   #15
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
I don't think anyone picks Yates up.

They would have to add him to their roster and it makes more sense to go with guys that already know the playbook and have been practicing with the team. Especially if it's a team that is going with two qb's. They aren't going to pick up Yates as their primary back up.

Even if it's a team carries 3 qb's they will have to have faith in their back up and be willing to let Yates learn for a couple years.

The texans very well may be scared of someone picking him up, but I think he'd be safe.
Old 08-18-2011   #16
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

the really obvious hole is at Center. if Myers goes down look out. his back-ups are always hurt too. I think an upper echelon center is called for next draft 2nd or 3rd round. Mike Brewster, Ohio State would be a good one (for you draft geeks out there, sorry to rest you are not).

also agree with those who say Dobbins makes it. love Jean, Dickerson is an enigma to me. keep Yates for sure I think he has a future in this league & I'm not down with Leinart. people need to ease up on Shilo too, give him at least a couple more games before you cut this guy.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011   #17
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't think anyone picks Yates up.

They would have to add him to their roster and it makes more sense to go with guys that already know the playbook and have been practicing with the team.

The texans very well may be scared of someone picking him up, but I think he'd be safe.
Kubes has shown the cojones to go with just two QBs on the roster before but I think he's learned his lesson. I expect us to start the season with all three on the roster.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011   #18
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Kubes has shown the cojones to go with just two QBs on the roster before but I think he's learned his lesson. I expect us to start the season with all three on the roster.
I do too. Just saying what I would do.

I'd rather get him on the practice squad and use that extra spot on a lb, dl or db.
Old 08-18-2011   #19
prostock101
Mr. Big

Rep Power: 275 prostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respected

Well done. If Braman continues showing well, Coach would look silly exposing him. And agree center is looking dicey with Caldwell's injury. If Meyers goes out, who can play center?

By the way, what are the rules on the practice squad. I know they have to clear before we can sign them, but seems like we lost guys last year from our PS to other teams that put them on their roster. Is that correct?
prostock101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011   #20
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostock101 View Post
Well done. If Braman continues showing well, Coach would look silly exposing him. And agree center is looking dicey with Caldwell's injury. If Meyers goes out, who can play center?

By the way, what are the rules on the practice squad. I know they have to clear before we can sign them, but seems like we lost guys last year from our PS to other teams that put them on their roster. Is that correct?
I believe other teams can sign the player(s) but to their active roster only. They can't sign them and put them on their practice squad.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read