Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-17-2011   #1
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72459 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default This morning's Chronicle article on the injuries

Link

Quote:
The Texans’ growing injury list was the primary topic of conversation at Reliant Stadium on Tuesday, and it started with the running backs.

Though ankle injuries suffered by guards Antoine Caldwell and Kasey Studdard during Monday night’s 20-16 victory over the New York Jets were more serious, the Texans have injury questions about four of their top five backs, including three sidelined with pulled hamstrings.

Coach Gary Kubiak said he hopes Arian Foster (hamstring) can return to practice today and play against New Orleans on Saturday. Kubiak said Steve Slaton (hamstring) is going to miss the Saints game and didn’t sound too confident about Ben Tate (hamstring) returning.

And Kubiak sounded unsure about Derrick Ward, who left the Jets game in the first quarter because of a concussion and didn’t return.

“Derrick is doing fine today,” Kubiak said, “but we’ve got this quick turnaround before (the New Orleans game), so you don’t know.

“Our plan all along has been for Arian to be on the field in the morning. Tate is moving very slowly. His progress coming back has been very slow. I can’t sit here and tell you he’s going to be ready to go. I sure hope he is. We were hoping he would be ready to get back on the field.”

If Foster and Ward are able to play against the Saints, the situation won’t be so dire. Otherwise, Chris Ogbonnaya will have to come to the rescue again.

“Chris is fine,” Kubiak said. “He’s just beat up from last night’s game.”

Ogbonnaya went from fifth on the depth chart to doing the heavy-duty work against the Jets. He carried 17 times for 37 yards and a touchdown. He caught six passes for 67 yards and a touchdown.

There’s a chance he could be the featured back again.

“We’ve got issues at that position and in the offensive line,” Kubiak said.

Caldwell, who backs up Mike Brisiel at right guard, suffered a high ankle sprain that will keep him out quite a while. Kubiak said Studdard’s injury is more serious and that his ankle was still being evaluated. There’s a chance he could miss the season.
This position concerns me way more than the running backs. The more backups that get hurt, mean more playing time for the starters, which in turn, risks more injury. We lost two linemen in one preseason game. This keeps pace, we'll be sitting pretty on opening day. [sarc]
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011   #2
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: This morning's Chronicle article on the injuries

Because of the shortened time this season for players to get into "football" shape, there were tons of predictions of an injury filled season for this year. I was one of the many that also predicted this on TexansTalk.

All these injuries shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011   #3
kingh99

Hope we aren't dealing with a jake. That would suck. I've contended since draft day we might have one on our hands. The sad part is there's apparently no code of honor to keep this from happening, a guy getting paid and deciding he doesn't want to get hit. Deciding he wants to keep his neural cavity in one piece and other such selfish concerns.
Old 08-17-2011   #4
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: This morning's Chronicle article on the injuries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Because of the shortened time this season for players to get into "football" shape, there were tons of predictions of an injury filled season for this year. I was one of the many that also predicted this on TexansTalk.
My wife has been saying that over and over for months now.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011   #5
Vinnie
with an I E

Section: 506, best section in the 500's!
Rep Power: 7306 Vinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Yep, it's happening all over the league.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...sct=nfl_t2_a10
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011   #6
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72459 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

It's certainly not a surprise to me, and would have been an extreme surprise to me if it wasn't. And these hamstring injuries . . . they are going to nag, nag, nag, and nag. I'll almost bet money that whoever running backs that play this Saturday that sat out last game, will "re-aggravate" them.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011   #7
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

You guys wait until the end of the season, then compare injury numbers over the past three years.

This is speculation at the moment. Injuries happen.

It's not like there's some video game "health meter" that has been affected by not having OTAs. Most of the guys were working out on their own, or with other teammates, doing minor stuff like stretching, walk-throughs, and light running during actual plays.

I don't see anything else in an OTA workout that would have been as radically different as what guys were doing on their own this year. In fact, it was all over the sports news, every week, where we see guys working out on their own. But I suppose because they weren't on the team's facility and being instructed by coaches, then it means they were not working out "properly," right? LOL.

Injuries. Happen. Ask Ben Tate. Ask Charles Spencer. Neither of those guys got majorly hurt because of anything other than just unfortunate circumstances out of their control. These are grown-ass men out there. Give them some time to get the tightened hammies sorted out, which is happening every year, by the way. It takes time to get back into football shape.
Old 08-17-2011   #8
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I swear, we now have football for 10 years before another labor ordeal...and people are complaining about injuries due to the lockout.

Wagging their fingers at people. Geez.

Injuries. Happen. Preseason games simulate and get them ready for reg season. By the time preseason game 4 is concluded, every team's players will have had camps where the practice each day AND multiple games where they are flying all over the field at full speed.

THIS is why preseason games are played: (1) extra money for owners, and (2) to get guys back into the football shape after having been out of action since February. Reason #2, above, is why I don't want owners taking preseason games away and adding 2 games to reg season. You need more than 2 games to get your starters ready AND evaluate guys for roster cuts.

I feel like the NFL system works: 4 preseason games, 16 reg season games, and a bye week somewhere in there. The OTAs are there to help familiarize players with the system(s), make sure they are conditioning and staying on top of goals, and I feel like the lockout only hurt preparation time for rookies and new players learning new systems. Outside of that, this "injury" issue is being overhyped. In my opinion.
Old 08-17-2011   #9
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 261571 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Dang -- a high ankle sprain for one & something worse for the other.

Sounds like we could be -2.
Old 08-17-2011   #10
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 182645 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

What I posted when the injuries were first revealed yesterday (from the Things I Didn't Like thread):

Quote:
Caldwell suffered a high-ankle sprain.

Studdard’s injury was characterized by Kubiak as a high ankle sprain, but qualified that it seems to be worse than Caldwell's. He refused to further characterize the injury when asked to do so, saying that he will need further tests. This doesn't sound good. A high ankle sprain is bad enough. An MRI will definitely be performed. If it demonstrates a high grade high ankle sprain with complete ligament tear, he's going to be out a very long time. If the MRI shows an accompanying fracture, he is likely done.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011   #11
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

All the hamstring injuries suck but everyone knew this was coming and I don't think that most of them are very serious. I think most of them are a tweak injury and keeping them out is just preventative. It also takes alot of pounding off of our RB's in the preseason so that they'll likely be fresh and ready to go when the season starts.

"Tate is moving very slowly. His progress coming back has been very slow. I can’t sit here and tell you he’s going to be ready to go. I sure hope he is. We were hoping he would be ready to get back on the field.”

When I read the above quote this sounds like a coach calling a player out. It's subtle but that's how coaches do it. I don't get the feeling that Kubiak is liking Tate much right now. Someone needs to remind Tate, with a foot in the ass, that you can't make the roster from the IR list.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011   #12
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
What I posted when the injuries were first revealed yesterday (from the Things I Didn't Like thread):
Not having Studdard on the field is a good thing?

LOL

Hate that he's hurt.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011   #13
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

I am a believer in cutting the preseason from four to two games or maybe even just one. It won't happen the owners would stand to lose a lot of money.
Old 08-17-2011   #14
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
If that is the case, he might be cut. He was possibly on the bubble in the first place, but this injury may cement it for him.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011   #15
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
I am a believer in cutting the preseason from four to two games or maybe even just one. It won't happen the owners would stand to lose a lot of money.
I actually think the Preseason games should be reduced in price so every seat is $20 and give out free parking. Make it a requirement that the first team must play the first quarter of the first game, the first half of the second game, the first half of the 3rd, and the first quarter of the fourth.

The NFL should make it possible for the average family of four to go out to a game. With current average ticket prices near $60, it costs the average family of 4 $240 for tickets, without parking.

The NFL could easily make up the cost on season tickets and more importantly they grow the brand among the kids. MLB did not grow the brand with the kids and were thus passed over. NFL better pay attention.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011   #16
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 261571 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

We're not the only team looking for guard help -- if we need it, Rick needs to sign 'em up.
Old 08-17-2011   #17
Kimmy 
RealGirls LvFB!

Section: 321
Rep Power: 20599 Kimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Would you be willing to build the roster after what you saw Monday night?

No.

Preseason is what it is, Preseason. It is so the coaches can know who is going to do what.

Yes, injuries suck, but they are going to happen at any given time.

I think that a LOT of these guys didn't work out on their own like they should have during the offseason. Maybe too much Wing Stop
Old 08-17-2011   #18
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmy View Post
Would you be willing to build the roster after what you saw Monday night?

No.

Preseason is what it is, Preseason. It is so the coaches can know who is going to do what.

Yes, injuries suck, but they are going to happen at any given time.

I think that a LOT of these guys didn't work out on their own like they should have during the offseason. Maybe too much Wing Stop
Disagree four meaningless games plus practice is not needed IMO.
Old 08-17-2011   #19
Kimmy 
RealGirls LvFB!

Section: 321
Rep Power: 20599 Kimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Disagree four meaningless games plus practice is not needed IMO.
We'll just have to agree to disagree.
Old 08-17-2011   #20
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmy View Post
We'll just have to agree to disagree.
Cool with me.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read