Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-16-2011   #1
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39337 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary
Default Complaining About NT Play

I see it going on in a few threads and also noticed it myself how the Jets ran through the middle last night and Mitchell just was not quite up to par. So if he does not prove to be a legit starting NT then I see the Texans signing a free agent like Kevin Williams who is still unsigned. Or maybe another guy who does not make another roster due to there being an overload of good players I don't know. This thread is not meant to be negative just an honest discussion about what happens if Wade does not think Earl is ready to start by game number one like he thought he was going to be. We'll see. What do you think?
Old 08-16-2011   #2
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Complaining About NT Play

a) cody got most of the first team reps thats i watched
b) both did ok imo
c) nobody will be added
d) you're mixing up kevin & pat williams

btw not trying to be a dick or anything with the bullet pts. just my brief thoughts
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011   #3
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39337 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
b) both did ok imo
c) nobody will be added

btw not trying to be a dick or anything with the bullet pts. just my brief thoughts
I have seen him called Kevin and Pat so go figure. Anyway N.Y. still ran a little too well for my liking when no mistakes were made by N.Y. JMO.
Old 08-16-2011   #4
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
b) both did ok imo
c) nobody will be added

A) who cares who got reps first
B) ok ain't gonna cut it
C) how do you know

If teams can run up the middle on you, you ain't goin far in this league
Old 08-16-2011   #5
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
I have seen him called Kevin and Pat so go figure. Anyway N.Y. still ran a little too well for my liking when no mistakes were made by N.Y. JMO.
Kevin & Pat Williams are two different players.
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011   #6
gary
Hall of Fame

I just think a veteran like Williams should be brought into start or someone else. Remember Cody wasn't ever great even in a 43 let alone in all new scheme. Mitchell has hardly played in the NFL to begin with.
Old 08-16-2011   #7
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMexVato View Post
Kevin & Pat Williams are two different players.
Yup. I know they are.
Sponsored links
Old 08-18-2011   #8
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I was impressed enough with the defense to trust Phillips on NT for now..the LBs also have to close down the middle. But this is a priority area of concern. I wanted to see improvement with our corners also but did not see much.
Old 08-18-2011   #9
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I was impressed enough with the defense to trust Phillips on NT for now..the LBs also have to close down the middle. But this is a priority area of concern. I wanted to see improvement with our corners also but did not see much.
I disagree just a tad about our corner play.

Although there were still some blown coverages, some cushions, some route jumping, there was also better position and more clogged throwing lanes. The receivers didn't seem to be running through the secondary like little girls running through the park picking wildflowers for their hair.

AND, that was with pretty much the same secondary we had last year.

I'm not feeling bad about the secondary, yet. Let's see what the Saints do to it.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011   #10
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yup. I know they are.
So which one do you want? Kevin Williams is not a free agent. Pat Williams is almost 40 years old

I agree that our NT situation is less than ideal, but I'm not sure there are players available that would crack our starting lineup right now. And signing guys just to make changes hasn't worked well for us in the past. I'm in the wait and see mode at the moment. I think our runs up the middle were more the result of confused LBs than poor DT play, but thats just my opinion
Old 08-18-2011   #11
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
So which one do you want? Kevin Williams is not a free agent. Pat Williams is almost 40 years old

I agree that our NT situation is less than ideal, but I'm not sure there are players available that would crack our starting lineup right now. And signing guys just to make changes hasn't worked well for us in the past. I'm in the wait and see mode at the moment. I think our runs up the middle were more the result of confused LBs than poor DT play, but thats just my opinion
I'll take Pat and I know how old he is but he still got the job done last year with the Vikings. He does not have to start but he'd be better backup than Cody even at 39 IMO.
Old 08-18-2011   #12
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216190 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Because of the Texans' decision to go without a fat boy in the middle, I hope the epitaph on this season doesn't read:

WE WENT FOR BROKE.......AND WE WENT BROKE........
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011   #13
gary
Hall of Fame

They need someone to be the fat guy in the middle and I am not sure Earl or Shawn will cut it but hopefully they will.
Old 08-18-2011   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264424 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I didn't have an issue with the play of the NTs either except on the one Mitchell was doubled & rolled over. Other than that, most of their runs were off tackle..... totally different problem.

I can see people thinking it's a NT problem, but it's not.
Old 08-18-2011   #15
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Based on play by play S Green ran up the middle 2 times against us, for 5 and 7 yards
Old 08-18-2011   #16
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Based on play by play S Green ran up the middle 2 times against us, for 5 and 7 yards
That's not great.
Old 08-18-2011   #17
gtexan02
Working?

Quote:
That's not great.
Nope, but I guess its a small sample size.
Their starting interior line was not playing, though, either
Old 08-18-2011   #18
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's not great.
OTOH, it's a new defense in the first game of the pre-season.

So while it's not something to be happy about, even if we had shut the Jets down totally, so what? It's pre-season. Until the real season starts, we're all just looking at individual plays and players totally out of context and trying to find things that support our positions to be happy or sad. So what you find to be happy or sad about isn't really anything except an indication of how you felt to begin with.

We're both worried about the middle of that front 7. We've both been worried about the middle of that front 7. Two runs up the gut in the first pre-season game is no reason to change how we feel one way or another.
Old 08-18-2011   #19
gary
Hall of Fame

We will see I saw some great things overall from the team but all I am doing is pointing out some areas where there is room for an improvement and DT is one of them IMO.
Old 08-18-2011   #20
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
We will see I saw some great things overall from the team but all I am doing is pointing out some areas where there is room for an improvement and DT is one of them IMO.
I'm just saying that we're beating a dead horse at this point. Until we get more information, it is what it is.

You, me, CnD -- We've all talked about how worried we are about the interior of this line. Now, let's sit back and see what we see. These next two games will tell us a lot more but still won't tell us the whole story.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read