Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-16-2011   #1
BullsOnParade
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 282 BullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Kubiak's Press Conference - Post Jets Preseason game

Anyone else get a chance to listen to this? What happened to Cheta Ozougwu and Derrick Ward?

I caught it late.
BullsOnParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011   #2
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28939 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kubiak's Press Conference - Post Jets Preseason game

Looks like Ward suffered a head injury. Says he'll be fine though.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimateastros...king-to-media/

Quote:
A new NFL rule was collectively bargained to further protect players who’ve suffered head injuries.

During the Monday night preseason game against the New York Jets at Reliant Stadium, Texans running back Derrick Ward left the game after suffering a head injury during the first quarter. He did not return to the game but was available to talk in the locker room after the 20-16 Texans victory.

Ward now joins the growing group of injured running backs – Arian Foster, Steve Slaton and Ben Tate, who are all suffering hamstring injuries.

Ward and the Houston media in the locker room were reminded of the new rule, and he was unable to answer questions.

Once Ward or any player with a head injury is cleared medically, he’ll be able to discuss the concussion as well as the injury problems the running backs have experienced in recent weeks.

In an early-Tuesday-morning message via Twitter, Ward gave his own update:

“Good morning everyone. Just so u all know I’m fine and will be back at practice tomorrow. Thanks for the well wishes! We looked great!!!”

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011   #3
BullsOnParade
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 282 BullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respected

Caught a recap. Cheta spent the night in the hospital because of a concussion.

You can listen to it here.

http://t.co/tyqrzWd

Last edited by BullsOnParade; 08-16-2011 at 05:39 PM.
BullsOnParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011   #4
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 62307 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Did anyone else think that tackle should of drawn a flag?
Old 08-16-2011   #5
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153493 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
I don't know about a flag... as long as they call the game consistently then I don't have a problem with it.

If the NFL is really worried about player's health, then it should be fined.
Old 08-17-2011   #6
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 116198 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Ward was pretty close to out of bounds when he got hit.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011   #7
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18476 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't have a link but I was listening to 610 am this evening and they replayed part of a Kubiak press conference and in his own way he called out Tate. Kubiak stated that he hoped that Tate was going to play Monday but apparently the injury was taking longer to heal than he felt it should and hoped Tate would be ready for the N.O. game. In coach speak this is calling out a player. Did anyone else hear this?

Kubiak also stated that he was impressed with Braman, Reed, and Jean, and that they would all get extra reps. this week in practice.

Last edited by Wolf6151; 08-17-2011 at 01:49 AM.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-17-2011   #8
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10234 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Bad luck in my view.
Old 08-17-2011   #9
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 16898 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Ward was pretty close to out of bounds when he got hit.
He was trying to get past the first down line. The defender wanted to make sure it didn't happen. Helmet hit helmet, but it was close and I don't think it deserved any penalty.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011   #10
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 132624 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
He was trying to get past the first down line. The defender wanted to make sure it didn't happen. Helmet hit helmet, but it was close and I don't think it deserved any penalty.
I did not tape the game for review, but, at the game, I was pretty close and in line of sight of the play. I saw no helmet-to-helmet hit. Ward hit the ground head/face first with his head snapping back. Also, Ward appeared to have one foot already out of bounds when he was hit.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153493 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I saw the same thing All-Star did. I thought there was going to be a flag.

I think it was as bad as anything Harrison had ever done.
Old 08-17-2011   #12
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

It wasn't anywhere near the worse hit we've seen.
With the new rule in place, however, I think a call should have been made.

http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/...%20Concussion/
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011   #13
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think the rules apply to RB's running the ball.

Not sure how you can flag that when Ward clearly lowered his head a bit leading into the contact. And I was at the game and it seemed to me that the hit was not as much of a factor as the defender driving his head into the ground.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011   #14
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I don't think the rules apply to RB's running the ball.

Not sure how you can flag that when Ward clearly lowered his head a bit leading into the contact. And I was at the game and it seemed to me that the hit was not as much of a factor as the defender driving his head into the ground.

" using any part of a player's helmet (including the top/crown and forehead/hairline parts) or facemask to butt, spear, or ram an opponent violently or unnecessarily against any opponent".

The replay shows that Ward only lowered his head to brace for contact with both hands protecting the ball (defenseless).

He went into the ground on his chest/shoulder in a sliding motion (chest first, then shoulder later as the defender helps rolled him over a bit.)
His head never touched the ground until his momentum had stopped.

It wasn't an overtly violent act by the densive player, but you can certainly feel the impact of the helmet to helmet collision.
The concussion resulted from this hit.
Old 08-17-2011   #15
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
" using any part of a player's helmet (including the top/crown and forehead/hairline parts) or facemask to butt, spear, or ram an opponent violently or unnecessarily against any opponent".

The replay shows that Ward only lowered his head to brace for contact with both hands protecting the ball (defenseless).

He went into the ground on his chest in a sliding motion.
His head never touched the ground until his momentum had stopped.

It wasn't an overtly violent act by the densive player, but you can certainly feel the impact of the helmet to helmet collision.
The concussion resulted from this hit.
OK 76.

I agree to disagree. No biggee.
Old 08-17-2011   #16
76Texan
Hall of Fame

I didn't have the end of the play, so here it is.
I can't see how Ward can hit his head on the ground hard enough to cause a concussion as his chest and his left shoulder absorbed the fall.

http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/...oncussion/222/
Old 08-17-2011   #17
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 132624 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I didn't have the end of the play, so here it is.
I can't see how Ward can hit his head on the ground hard enough to cause a concussion as his chest and his left shoulder absorbed the fall.

http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/...oncussion/222/

Slide 12 obstructed (by sideline personel) the most important view of what actually happened with his head. I had an unobstructed view at the game looking straight down the sideline. His facemask/head hit before his shoulder and chest, further driven forward and down by inertia of the defensive player. Ward's neck snapped back as his chest and shoulder hit with the force of the weight of the defender coming down on his upper back.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011   #18
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Slide 12 obstructed (by sideline personel) the most important view of what actually happened with his head. I had an unobstructed view at the game looking straight down the sideline. His facemask/head hit before his shoulder and chest, further driven forward and down by inertia of the defensive player. Ward's neck snapped back as his chest and shoulder hit with the force of the weight of the defender coming down on his upper back.
I didn't have the best view of it at the game, but I thought that's what I saw too.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read