Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-16-2011   #1
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Ogbonnaya Ogbonnaya Ogbonnaya Ogbonnaya Ogbonnaya

Chris Ogbonnaya #27 - pronounced 'O - bo - ny - a' (the G is silent!) Get used to it, because he should be around this season. Practice by saying it 5 times fast!

Experience: 2nd season - Previously with the Rams
Born: 5/20/1986
Hometown: Houston, TX
Height: 6-0
Weight: 225
College: Texas

I think this guy will wind up as our short yardage RB and Slaton will be cut. He showed he was capable of doing everything necessary out there last night. He blocked a few times, he didn't drop any passes, and he showed some power on a few runs. He doesn't have the top end breakaway speed that Foster possesses, but I think he has other tools that we have lacked in our RB corps. He looked tough out there and I think we will see a lot more of him in the next few weeks. It's obvious Slaton's future isn't getting better any time soon, so I think it's best for the team to move on to Ogbonnaya who has yet to reach his potential.

Houston Texans running back Chris Ogbonnaya (27) celebrates his touchdown run with wide receiver Jacoby Jones (12) during the fourth quarter of an NFL preseason football game against the New York Jets
Old 08-16-2011   #2
Craig.
Nosebleeds

Rep Power: 2738 Craig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ogbonnaya Ogbonnaya Ogbonnaya Ogbonnaya Ogbonnaya

PA guy hit him first with the ogg-bun-eye-uh then went to o-bun-yai-uh.
Craig. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011   #3
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I know it wasn't all Chris' fault, but our running game sucked last night. I'm going to re-watch the game again but it seemed like the ZB was not looking very sycronized. Maybe it's just me. It just seemed like the oline would end up in a big pile and Obi would run into the pile then attempt to break outside.

On another note, Vickers will be our starting FB come opening day. Casey did ok but Vickers did better.
Old 08-16-2011   #4
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78947 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

He was just as good as Slaton out of the backfield, but he could also pick up a blitz and block. Seeing as how Slaton has no value to the team since he's not returning kicks anymore they might as well get rid of him.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011   #5
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I did not see anything from him as runner that excites me. Was better at catching passes, but overall game was very JAGlike. If everybody is healthy I don't see him on the final 53.
Old 08-16-2011   #6
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

As much as one would want to praise Ogbonnaya for playing almost the entire game, he wasn't worked to death running. He only carried 17 times in total........and put up 2.2 Yds per carry. His 15 yd longest run itself would have accounted for almost 1 yd per carry.......and total yds rushing was only 37........a good part of that against 2nd and 3rd Ds. To his credit, he did manage 67 yds in 6 receptions.......but one accounted for 29 yds of that. He was the best we had last night. I would hope that we do not think that this gives him any semblance of a "proven" factor. Maybe he will develop. But excitement based on last night is a little over the top.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011   #7
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78947 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
As much as one would want to praise Ogbonnaya for playing almost the entire game, he wasn't worked to death running. He only carried 17 times in total........and put up 2.2 Yds per carry. His 15 yd longest run itself would have accounted for almost 1 yd per carry.......and total yds rushing was only 37........a good part of that against 2nd and 3rd Ds. To his credit, he did manage 67 yds in 6 receptions.......but one accounted for 29 yds of that. He was the best we had last night. I would hope that we do not think that this gives him any semblance of a "proven" factor. Maybe he will develop. But excitement based on last night is a little over the top.
In his defense the 2nd string o-line was not good and the 3rd string line was awful. I can't remember a carry in the 2nd half where he got the handoff and didn't get hit at the line.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-16-2011   #8
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

i was not impressed by RB Ogbonnaya 17 carries for 37 yards (2.1 yards per carry) sure he had a good receiving game but the big yardage catches really could have been any of our RBs they were missed coverages.
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011   #9
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Although he helped us Win, isn't it too early to judge this guy? Interested in seeing him run more.

Go Texans!!!
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011   #10
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 43520 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

If he makes the team we should dub him OB1.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011   #11
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Why all the love for Ogbonnaya?

i was not impressed by RB Ogbonnaya 17 carries for 37 yards (2.1 yards per carry) sure he had a good receiving game but the big yardage catches really could have been any of our RBs they were missed coverages.

Receiving 6-67yards with a long of 29 had 1 rush 1 receiving TD I recorded the game going to watch it again tonight maybe im missing something?
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011   #12
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Why all the love for Ogbonnaya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
He didnt light it up rushing but he did everything else right - Especially pass protection and recieving.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011   #13
Mari-OWNED!
Bucco Bruce

Rep Power: 4281 Mari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respected

Averaging 2.2 yards a carry shouldn't be worthy of starting an Ogbonnaya thread... At best he will give Ben Tate a run for the 3rd RB job.
Mari-OWNED! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011   #14
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
There is an Ogbonnaya thread near the top of the board. No reason to start another.
Old 08-16-2011   #15
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I think they only keep three backs don't they? If they only keep three, that'll be Foster, Tate and Ward. If they keep four, it'll be between Obbonnaya and Slaton. Last year they only kept three, four if you include Leach at the halfback position.

Slaton and Ogbonnaya could both be gone by the end of preseason. I know Slaton isn't eligable for the practice squad, I don't know if Ogbonnaya is or not though.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011   #16
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 13416 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Our zone blocking usually gets better as the season progresses, seemed just like early preseason rust to me.
Old 08-16-2011   #17
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200878 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

He came in. He did what he needed to do. He didn't run the ball all that well but he did make some catches out of the backfield and he did block.

For me, he's JAG. Gotta hand it to him for his heart, and I hope he ends up on the PS.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011   #18
sandman
Veteran

Rep Power: 36157 sandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Everyone roots for the local kid to do well.

And it's not his fault that the other backs were in street clothes and didn't make any plays. Doesn't mean that a 100 combo yards in the first pre-season game from a #5 on the RB depth chart isn't worth a slap on the back. No need to hate on the kid...
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011   #19
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

LOL, just read up on this guy. how many here know that he's ALREADY been on the Texans practice squad since September of 2010?

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011   #20
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig. View Post
PA guy hit him first with the ogg-bun-eye-uh then went to o-bun-yai-uh.
On NFL Live after the game, Trey Wingo kept pronouncing it "O-Bawn-Ya" (The last two syllables sounding similar to the Spanish word for bathroom). I can understand mispronouncing his name under some circumstances, but he should have just watched a broadcast where the name was being pronounced correctly (at least most of the time), and it was a piss-poor guess regardless of the circumstances.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read