Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-15-2011   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153344 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What I liked

Did not see most of 1st quarter due to last minute distraction beyond my control (dang it). Nothing on starting O.

Leinert looked pretty good. Nothing spectacular but seemed "field aware" and did little to put team in jeopardy.
Yates aired a few out but not as accurate but I'm okay with that for now. He hooked up with Jean and then threw ball out of bounds on a wise move. We are Ok @ this position. Excellent pass in last 2 1/2 minutes with quick release that got ball to 1/2 yard line.

Ogbonnya looked much better than I expected. He is a bull dozer that has good hand on receiving.

Jean first time I got to watch him. He has great body control and can twist to locate ball.

Defense: the front seven constantly brought the pressure regardless of who was in.

Game ball? Wade Phillips.

By game 3, I need to see the offense clicking.
Old 08-15-2011   #2
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90207 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What I liked

Still don't like the secondary. Safety play was better but Corner's were pretty bad. Constantly lining up 10 yds deep and inviting NYJ to throw the quick pass underneath, which they did. Molden lined up 4 yds deep in the endzone on 3rd & goal from the 3 and immediately got beat on a slant. Awful.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011   #3
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153344 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Still don't like the secondary. Safety play was better but Corner's were pretty bad. Constantly lining up 10 yds deep and inviting NYJ to throw the quick pass underneath, which they did. Molden lined up 4 yds deep in the endzone on 3rd & goal from the 3 and immediately got beat on a slant. Awful.
42 seconds left and Molden snookered completely out of play and Wr allows ball to bounce off his shoulder. I only posted what I liked but I agree with you on corners. Based on this game only, McCain bought himself another game but Molden did not.
Old 08-15-2011   #4
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90207 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Think they should cut McCain too. he got burned quite a few times. Roll with McMannis and Harris.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011   #5
prostock101
Mr. Big

Rep Power: 275 prostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respected

Missed tackles galore really stuck out. Is there any scenario where we keep four RB's? Especially since they seem to be made of glass this season?
prostock101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011   #6
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1312 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

keo was TERRIBLE in his attempts at tackling tonight.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011   #7
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 281 View Post
Yeah, he needs to use arms to wrap round the opponents. Hope, he does better tackling job in the next game.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-15-2011   #8
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Leinart will be ok, as long as he's throwing to the starters. He looked ok with the 2nd group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Think they should cut McCain too. he got burned quite a few times. Roll with McMannis and Harris.
I thought McCain actually made some plays, might just be where I was sitting though.

Quote:
Yes. Guy looks like PS material....Maybe.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011   #9
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 33670 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

I love how this thread is titled "What I liked", yet people are commenting on how awful Keo is. Granted, he was pretty bad with his missed tackles.

But back on topic...I liked seeing the potential of our defense. We may have had trouble tackling and containing the run, but overall, we had guys in place (for the most part) and were getting sacks.

Secondly, JJ Watts was a beast. I can't wait to see this guy in the regular season. He reminds me of Jared Allen.
Old 08-15-2011   #10
hot pickle
Canada Eh

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

I really like TJ yates. missed some throws but this pocket presence seems very very good for a rookie
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011   #11
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Abidi looked like a new LB tonight. Braman, Reed, Watt and Mitchell all looked good getting penetration.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011   #12
VTexan
The Realist

Rep Power: 8095 VTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Reed needs some time. He looked too amped up and his quick speed actually betrayed him (lineman end up pining him). Way too off balance but the athleticism and motor is there.

Mario looked lost and our other olb's definitely out shined him.
VTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011   #13
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I never got the hype about keo. I mean, he seems like a passionate guy, but I haven't seen much of his on the field work that impressed me. In fact, out if the clips ive seen of him he has been bad.

A year on the practice squad may give him time to adjust. But demps is better than he is and Dom barber may be too.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011   #14
Kimmy 
RealGirls LvFB!

Section: 321
Rep Power: 20599 Kimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respected

I liked that KJ didn't fall down! When he made that 1st block, I laughed and told our friends, it's a sportscenter breaking news story right now; Kareem Jackson DIDN'T FALL DOWN!!!!
Old 08-16-2011   #15
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 55704 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmy View Post
I liked that KJ didn't fall down! When he made that 1st block, I laughed and told our friends, it's a sportscenter breaking news story right now; Kareem Jackson DIDN'T FALL DOWN!!!!
I think he fell down from shock in the locker room that he didn't fall down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011   #16
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Suzy Kolber actually looks like a woman now...that's what I liked.
Old 08-16-2011   #17
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
Suzy Kolber actually looks like a woman now...that's what I liked.
Yeah, she didn't look like a walking Kashi granola bar. Two thumbs up from me, too.

I actually looked at her when she spoke on camera. Wade Phillips is truly working miracles everywhere he goes.

Honestly, I want you guys to take this week and try REALLY hard to learn the correct last names of our players.

There is no "S" in Kevin Walter's last name. It took us about four years to get that down, but now we have JJ Watt and the assassin's "S" is striking lethal headshots again.

"S" is tricky. Focus on his bellybutton, because that's his core. Wherever IT goes, the "S" will go. Don't follow his feet, nor his head or upper body. Focus on his core and stay squared up on him...then run THROUGH him and wrap your arms around him for a form tackle. You guys can do it. I have faith.

JJ Watt. Kevin Walter. What do they have in common? No "S" at the end of their last name. Get some flashcards.
Old 08-16-2011   #18
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 108211 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i liked the simplicity of an overload blitz (accomplished by nothing more than a safety and 4 linemen). i liked jj "unblockable" watt - as advertised in first half and telling susie about his charity work in the second. i liked yates's touch. it's all mental for him, for a "struggling" rookie quarterback with only 2 weeks of practice, i think he has a ton of upside under our coaching staff. i liked nading ... not a starter, but more than a backup - same could be said for others like earl mitchell, sharpton, and a few others. i liked our fullbacks ... despite not being a mauler, the folks that casey hit knew they were blocked - especially in short yardage.
Old 08-16-2011   #19
80tothezone
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5079 80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected

I like how our D played all around, yeh the corners still need to get better but the penetration was there at the line so that is less of a big deal. Plus Jo Jo was out this game so our secondary was playing one man up ... i.e. our #2 was against their # 1 etc. Still though the D did awesome against a solid Jets team 2 weeks after learning a new Defense. I mean I know it was a pre season but 20 pts would have won what 1 game last yr... much improved on D. Remember guys we don't need to nor are we going to have the best D in the league.... we just need a D that is not the worst...

Oh and # 27 obiwanna or whatever makes me a lot less worried about our Rb situation and loosing leach
Old 08-16-2011   #20
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

Liked Leinart. Thought he showed his ability to manage a game without making blatant mistakes which gives me a lot more confidence in this team's ability to stay in games if Schaub isn't able to go than I had with Dan-O.

Didn't like the fact that Sanchez went 6/7. Granted we were missing Joseph on D but the fact that their opening drive stalled mainly due to miscommunication on the O-Line is a little unnerving.

Loved how pissed Rex got. Again this was more due to his own O-Line play but credit should also be given to the Texans depth on D. They made the Jets' backups look pedestrian which I didn't expect.

Also liked how some of the UDFA's looked. Jean looked great working with the second teamers on offense and looks like a promising number 4 or 5 who'll be able to stretch the field while Braman looks like he's pushing for a roster spot behind Mario. Those were the two I noticed most I know that others made plays. the announcers played a clip where Jeff Maehl stepped in front of a backer close to twice his size which was good to see.
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read