Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-02-2012   #41
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89506 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans defense may work without a mountain in the middle

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Our D gave up 16 defensive rushing TDs last year without any heavy in the middle. That was the 7th worst in the league. I remain concerned.
As I said...plenty of beef up front. I still want to upgrade Kareem however and we need more depth.
Old 04-02-2012   #42
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 195074 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
As I said...plenty of beef up front. I still want to upgrade Kareem however and we need more depth.
I'd be curious to see our last year's red zone run defense, and 3rd and short, and 4th and short run stats.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012   #43
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 111168 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I'd be curious to see our last year's red zone run defense, and 3rd and short, and 4th and short run stats.
Dunno the answer, Doc but fast forward to about 8:30 and the Texans "D" passes the eye test.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPlMd...eature=related
Old 04-02-2012   #44
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 23872 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Dunno the answer, Doc but fast forward to about 8:30 and the Texans "D" passes the eye test.

Damn Cushing is a damn beast man!!!!

Watching him reminds me of a Lion on a Wildebeest when he sacks a QB. It's like he jumps up on them and sinks his claws and teeth in and won't let go.
Old 04-02-2012   #45
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 195074 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

No doubt, that was a beautiful play! We had a great D as a whole. Still wondering in general if anyone can come up with stats to address my question.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012   #46
pec0sb0b
on the lam

Rep Power: 2716 pec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respected

What about the sub packages? The Texan's defense is in a nickel or dime at least sixty percent of the time. They spent years stopping Joseph Addai on first down only to have Manning take their lunch money on passing downs.

I would like to have a big heavy in the middle as much as anyone, but as the analysts continue to remind us it is a passing league. Realistically, there are but a few teams in the NFL that can run the ball well. The Texans would be better served looking for an ILB that can stay on the field on passing downs alongside Cushing.

That being said, my suspicion is that the Texans will draft either a defensive tackle or a defensive end by the fourth round. Mitchell spent a lot of time in rotation at DE in the latter part of 2011 due to lack of depth after Williams' injury. They could look early for a player like Fletcher Cox DT-MISS ST who could play at multiple positions along the defensive line much like JJ Watt, but I don't think they'll do it in the first round.

More teams will challenge the Texans through the air than will on the ground.
Old 04-02-2012   #47
kingh99

Draft another stud front 7 guy, then a couple of O linemen, then TE, FB whatever. Get a free agent WR and convince LeStar Jean to change his name. They don't need much other than protection on offense. That defense can win plenty of games if the offense just takes care of the ball and cashes in on the d's turnovers. The defense will be legendary if they stay healthy. They were historically great last year, Cam Newton's unconscious game play not withstanding. That guy is a freaking stud.
Sponsored links
Old 04-04-2012   #48
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 48076 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

At the 8:30 mark is Tim Dobbins on the goal line stop.
Old 04-04-2012   #49
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Damn. That video is straight up bad ass. It makes me pissed that football season isn't 52 weeks long. It also makes me miss Mario.

Oh well...when one man steps down, another man steps up...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read