Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-14-2011   #21
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans defense may work without a mountain in the middle

Regardless of what Jay Ratliff has done add me to the list with CND of skeptics regarding Mitchell and Cody's ability to play NT and stop the run up the middle. I also be glad to be proven wrong, but only time will tell and right now I'm not optimistic. I hope both Cody and Mitchell have been putting in alot of time in the weight room, especially squats, leg strength is so important at NT.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011   #22
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I would love to have a big old nasty nose tackle and for that matter a center, but Myers has done ok and I'm hopeful Cody/Mitchell will work.
I still think we need a bigger center just to go against certain 3-4 nose guards--JMO.

No doubt Myers is the king at getting down-field blocks against the 4-3 Ds.

On the main subject here, I'm kind of worried too, but surely Phillips knows what he's doing.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011   #23
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
I still think we need a bigger center just to go against certain 3-4 nose guards--JMO.

On the main subject here, I'm kind of worried too, but surely Phillips knows what he's doing.
Since we are going to carry a deep snapper, it would be sweet if that player could do as you suggest. Better if we had a center who could do it all.
Old 08-15-2011   #24
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87952 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

im tired of hearing about giant nose tackles.

We are a 3-4 in name only...its more of a 4 -3 based on how it will be played.

and

olb - Barwin
De- watt
Nt- Mitchell / Cody)
De - Smith
old - Williams

are all natural defensive linemen. We have enough "beef" to stop the run. Its the pass im concerned about.
Old 08-15-2011   #25
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post

exactly. How they line up, as it's explained, in the 3/4 covers up what they intend to do, even if they rush vanilla, from the second they set up there is no indication of anything but a base defense. So Mario rushes almost always. Yeah, teams will know that. They'll also be aware when they expect that and get a big handful of something else.

Quote:
olb - Barwin
De- watt
Nt- Mitchell / Cody)
De - Smith
old - Williams

are all natural defensive linemen. We have enough "beef" to stop the run. Its the pass im concerned about.
Yeah, we have a small NT but Watt and Smith both go about 280/290 and that's perfect. Not to mention the giant sized OLBs, Mario is 280, a good 30 pound and 3 inches bigger than anyone has ever been at OLB. Barwin is 265ish and that's a big ol' backer too. The pounds are there, just not all at the nose.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011   #26
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

and

olb - Barwin
De- watt
Nt- Mitchell / Cody)
De - Smith
old - Williams

Don't think of it as a 4-3 or a 3-4. Think of it as a Zone Blitz 5-2. We've got 5 DL lined up across the line. Either of the guys on the ends could be rushing or they could be dropping at any time and frequently, they'll both be coming.

In the passing game, it uses some of the concepts from the old Chicago 46 defense, you get pressure and cause turnovers by bringing a lot of heat. The danger with this sort of defense is against short, quick passing attacks. But hopefully, we'll gameplan it so we don't walk into that ambush.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011   #27
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Good find, doc. I kmow your position on this, but I'm content with seeing how it works out for us at this position. I truly believe that Phillips would've aquired personnel if he thought we needed it at NT.
Perhaps he felt as though the biggest issue at hand was the secondary, and that after this was addressed there wasn't a quality NT available? I wouldn't put it past him next year to pass on a great NT available in the draft or FA.
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-15-2011   #28
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 19116 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Hopefully, Phillips hasn't caught "Texans Decision-Making Deficiency Syndrome" during his short stay.
Texans have a lot of holes, and unfortunately we just can't plug them all in the first year. 3-4 NT's are a rare breed, but we have relatively strong players hopefully in Ryans/Cushing in the MLB role as well. This was probably a concession of some sort to fix up the secondary first, and get Mario converted to LB, while moving Cushing inside..

We can expect to fix everything, but at the same time hopefully we can get our defense around the 15th rank +/- 2. I'd be happy with that for a first year conversion to the 3-4.

Too bad we didn't pick up Cody..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01j8FdjWPlc&NR=1

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011   #29
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post

Myers played well last year against the 3-4 teams. Just that one super embarassing Jenkins low lite makes you sad
Old 08-15-2011   #30
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

and

olb - Barwin
De- watt
Nt- Mitchell / Cody)
De - Smith
old - Williams

Our D gave up 16 defensive rushing TDs last year without any heavy in the middle. That was the 7th worst in the league. I remain concerned.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011   #31
playa465
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1969 playa465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respected

Count me in as a skeptic who wants to be proven wrong...so much is being made of pass rushing that I hope the run D doesn't suffer... I will have nightmares if our DL just wants to pin their ears back and get after the QB and get blasted by inside trap runs
playa465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011   #32
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Our D gave up 16 defensive rushing TDs last year without any heavy in the middle. That was the 7th worst in the league. I remain concerned.
Our whole defense was porous last year. Did that have to do with scheme, personell or a combination of both? We finished 13th against the run, overall. That's not too shabby. As far ar the rushing TD's are concerned, more than a few of them were set up by the fact that EVERYBODY was passing like crazy on us and we got caught in some pass blitzes that left gaping holes for RB's to exploit. I'm guessing on that last part.
Old 08-15-2011   #33
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Im not buying this after watching the Jets open up some pretty big holes in the running game ..... with their 3rd string center. Gonna have to get stronger up the middle.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011   #34
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78947 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Phillips defense doesn't need a 340 lb guy plugging the middle. This has been harped on for months and it's really annoying because the information has been out there all along.

All the complaints are just another example of fans trying to play armchair GM and they just don't know what they're talking about.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011   #35
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Phillips defense doesn't need a 340 lb guy plugging the middle. This has been harped on for months and it's really annoying because the information has been out there all along.

All the complaints are just another example of fans trying to play armchair GM and they just don't know what they're talking about.
Then explain some of those holes in the running game , my old ass coulda run thru a few of them.

Old 08-16-2011   #36
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post

He had ted washignton in buffalo and jamal williams in sd and those were his best defenses. Last night, cody was being handled by the backup center. When u get handled by 1 guy inside, it allows the guards to get on the lbs and create huge holes which hapened last night.
Old 08-16-2011   #37
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

What concerns me a great deal is that there has been so much press to date on "we don't need that big strong tackle in the middle" and so much has come from the Texans that Wade has had success taking this route in the past and "we'll be just fine,"...............that if this comes to be a "failed experiment," Wade and the Texans will find themselves in a corner and will stubbornly refuse to give up the ghost..........as has been a very familiar pattern that we have enjoyed throughout our team's history.

Again, I would hope not, but would not be shocked in the least with such an end.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011   #38
BullsOnParade
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 282 BullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respected

Watching the game last night, this moves near the top of my concerns. I'm not sure I agree with the consensus in this thread.
BullsOnParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #39
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

just bumping this in case some haven't seen the video and with reg season about 10 days a way, it pretty much looks like we won't be picking up any big guys off waiver.
(of course anything is possible.)
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #40
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
What concerns me a great deal is that there has been so much press to date on "we don't need that big strong tackle in the middle" and so much has come from the Texans that Wade has had success taking this route in the past and "we'll be just fine,"...............that if this comes to be a "failed experiment," Wade and the Texans will find themselves in a corner and will stubbornly refuse to give up the ghost..........as has been a very familiar pattern that we have enjoyed throughout our team's history.

Again, I would hope not, but would not be shocked in the least with such an end.
I dont think thats the case at all , they just didnt have the assets to address yet another need on the defense , which they spent a ton of money on in FA along with all those draft picks .... What do you expect them to say ?

They are ~$2.2m under the cap ? Where are they going to find a guy who fits the bill for that amount ?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read