Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-14-2011   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 107142 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans defense may work without a mountain in the middle

Quote:
A day doesn't go by, it seems, without yet another debate about whether Shaun Cody and Earl Mitchell are 'big enough' to handle nose tackle duty in Wade Phillips' 3-4 defense.

Just this morning, I ran into this AP article where Cody (6-4, 304) said he was reassured by Phillips before training camp that he was good enough, and big enough to handle the position.

"We’ve had small guys play this position, big guys play this position, and we’ve been successful both ways," Phillips told Cody.

But Texans fans are a fickle lot, and while there's evidence to support Phillips' claims [Cowboys nose tackle Jay Ratliff (6-4, 285) has gone to the Pro Bowl twice playing in this scheme] many fans remain in the 'I'll believe it when I see it' mode.

'Nose tackle envy' discussions among Texans fans usually revolve around desires for a 330+ lb. space eater, clogging the middle.

That's the damage that one Kris Jenkins YouTube highlight can do to a fan's perception of what their team needs and doesn't need. Although I would kill to have a guy like B.J. Raji on the nose for the Texans.

http://www.examiner.com/houston-texa...ain-the-middle

the excellent video's that AJ mentioned

X's and O's: Herring on LB duties in 3-4

X's and O's: Herring on 3-4 switches

X's and O's: Herring on 3-4 vs. 3 WR offense (2:44)
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011   #2
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 225723 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans defense may work without a mountain in the middle

Excellent find. Thanks.
[must spread rep ]
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011   #3
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 264718 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Must. Spread. Rep.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011   #4
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 107142 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

some more links
Old 08-14-2011   #5
Wolf
100% Texan

forgot another link
Quote:
X's and O's: Kollar on d-line and 'techniques'
Texans associate head coach/defensive line coach Bill Kollar goes to the whiteboard and explains 'techniques' on the defensive line.
Old 08-14-2011   #6
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209676 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Pardon my skepticism with Mitchell at 290. But if I remember, last year Ratliffe played at around 300 and had no-one under 305 playing next to him. In fact, Marcus Spears played at 310-315 and Igor Olshansky played at a solid 315. Also, the Cowboys had another NT on the roster........Josh Brent 6'2" 318 pounds. Olshansky also played NT.

The lack of "fat boy in the middle" at least for some very important short yardage situations concerns me. I hope my fears will be proven wrong.

MUST ALSO SPREAD THE REP.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011   #7
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209676 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

This piece I came across should settle the Ratliff weight question.
Quote:
Jay Ratliff: Don't worry about my weight
August, 2, 2011
By Tim MacMahon

SAN ANTONIO – The roster lists Jay Ratliff as 18 pounds lighter than last season.

Ratliff insists that isn’t right.

The two-time Pro Bowl nose tackle is listed at 285 pounds, down from 303 last season. However, he says his weight hasn’t changed much since his second season in the NFL.

“This is the last time I’m going to talk about this, period,” Ratliff said when asked about losing weight. “My first year I came in at 303. Every year since then I’ve been playing at 290, 295.”

There is speculation after every season about Ratliff moving to defensive end, the position he played when he broke into the league as a seventh-round pick. He might line up at defensive end occasionally in Rob Ryan’s scheme, but the Cowboys didn’t consider moving him from nose tackle on a full-time basis.

Worry about Ratliff being undersized for a 3-4 nose tackle if you want. His weight isn’t a concern for him.

“I really don’t care,” Ratliff said. “It really doesn’t matter to me. It just makes me unique.”
Sponsored links
Old 08-14-2011   #8
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 43270 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

I think strength and low center of gravity is more important than weight.
Old 08-14-2011   #9
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

A major factor in Ratliff's success.

VIDEO
Old 08-14-2011   #10
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 97190 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
A major factor in Ratliff's success.

VIDEO
Good find, doc. I kmow your position on this, but I'm content with seeing how it works out for us at this position. I truly believe that Phillips would've aquired personnel if he thought we needed it at NT.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011   #11
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Good find, doc. I kmow your position on this, but I'm content with seeing how it works out for us at this position. I truly believe that Phillips would've aquired personnel if he thought we needed it at NT.
Hopefully, Phillips hasn't caught "Texans Decision-Making Deficiency Syndrome" during his short stay.
Old 08-14-2011   #12
House of Pain
Knee-jerkless

Section: 106
Rep Power: 9340 House of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Hopefully, Phillips hasn't caught "Texans Decision-Making Deficiency Syndrome" during his short stay.
I agree with that, but I think the majority of that 'syndrome' is caused by the fact that Kubiak and Co. didn't know the first thing about having a successful defense.
House of Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011   #13
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 97190 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't think that'll be a problem. Phillips has too good a reputation as a DC to be worried about what Kubiak says/thinks. It's also a lose/lose proposition for Kubiak and Phillips if the Texans, especially the D, stink it up this year. It seems, to us fans anyway, that Phillips has had a pretty free hand with the D all offseason.
Old 08-14-2011   #14
prostock101
Mr. Big

Rep Power: 275 prostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respected

Where's Curly Culp when we need him?
prostock101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011   #15
House of Pain
Knee-jerkless

Section: 106
Rep Power: 9340 House of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't think that'll be a problem. Phillips has too good a reputation as a DC to be worried about what Kubiak says/thinks. It's also a lose/lose proposition for Kubiak and Phillips if the Texans, especially the D, stink it up this year. It seems, to us fans anyway, that Phillips has had a pretty free hand with the D all offseason.
Also, the other thing is that if the conspiracy theorists are right about the Wade hire, he doesn't want to do anything to screw up his chance to be HC if/when Kubiak gets shit-canned for his poor clock management skills and failing to prepare his players for the game.
House of Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011   #16
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
I think strength and low center of gravity is more important than weight.
The video I posted demonstrates this. What most fans don't know is how an "unnaturally" strong a specimen Ratliff is. For the three years prior to last season, he played with TWO excruciatingly painful bum elbows. In fact, during 2008 and 2009 seasons, he wasn't able to touch a bench press. He finally told the Cowboys' training staff about his problem after the 2009 season. Upon x-ray, he was found to have large bone spurs in both of his elbows and underwent surgery during the offseason.
Old 08-14-2011   #17
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
DocBar,
I know you know that I was being somewhat fascitious, but I just don't think that Mitchell is anywhere the physical specimen that Ratliff is. I respect other people's opposing opinions, including yours, but I am having a tough time accepting the gamble that such a great deal of the anticipated D's turnaround may be resting on the Mitchell factor.

With that said, I will more than welcome an "I told you so" from you and others midway through the season.
Old 08-14-2011   #18
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
DocBar,
I know you know that I was being somewhat fascitious, but I just don't think that Mitchell is anywhere the physical specimen that Ratliff is. I respect other people's opposing opinions, including yours, but I am having a tough time accepting the gamble that such a great deal of the anticipated D's turnaround may be resting on the Mitchell factor.

With that said, I will more than welcome an "I told you so" from you and others midway through the season.
I can't wait to be the 1st to give you that "I told you so".
Old 08-14-2011   #19
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153912 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I would love to have a big old nasty nose tackle and for that matter a center, but Myers has done ok and I'm hopeful Cody/Mitchell will work.
Old 08-14-2011   #20
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I would love to have a big old nasty nose tackle and for that matter a center, but Myers has done ok and I'm hopeful Cody/Mitchell will work.
Maybe this season the Texans can make you shiver with what they've accomplished....just sayin...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read