Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-14-2011   #1
cland
Veteran

Rep Power: 4611 cland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respected
Default ??Really?? -- Houston Chronicle

The more I read Houston Chronicle articles, the more I feel like we should have a sticky thread named after the SNL skit Really???

Here's my first entry:

Writer: CRAIG MALVEAUX

"But what McManis clearly lacked in experience, leading to defensive miscues, he made up for in effort.
That caught the eye of defensive backs coach Vance Joseph and resulted in 14 appearances in 2010."
Read more: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...#ixzz1Uz13i5MB

Really? Cause I thought we fired the 2010 DB coach...Really? Wasn't Vance Joseph part of the Niners in 2010 staff, and had no say on the Texans roster...Really?
cland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011   #2
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 267323 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: ??Really?? -- Houston Chronicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cland View Post
The more I read Houston Chronicle articles, the more I feel like we should have a sticky thread named after the SNL skit Really???

Here's my first entry:

"But what McManis clearly lacked in experience, leading to defensive miscues, he made up for in effort.
That caught the eye of defensive backs coach Vance Joseph and resulted in 14 appearances in 2010."

Really? Cause I thought we fired the 2010 DB coach...Really? Wasn't Vance Joseph part of the Niners in 2010 staff, and had no say on the Texans roster...Really?

Quote:
First of all, by the time you get to the NFL, the greatest effort without results is worth diddly squat.

Quote:
That caught the eye of defensive backs coach Vance Joseph and resulted in 14 appearances in 2010.
Even writers have the some of the poorest grasp of grammar and syntax that I have ever seen. I'm pretty sure what he should have written to make his point was:

The same great effort by McManis, resulting in 14 appearances in 2010, is what has caught defensive backs coach Vance Joseph's eye (this year).
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011   #3
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

They edited it in the paper version of the Chronicle so at least somebody caught it.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011   #4
valleytexfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 275 valleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post

First of all, by the time you get to the NFL, the greatest effort without results is worth diddly squat.

Even writers have the some of the poorest grasp of grammar and syntax that I have ever seen. I'm pretty sure what he should have written to make his point was:

The same great effort by McManis, resulting in 14 appearances in 2010, is what has caught defensive backs coach Vance Joseph's eye (this year).
This. But yes, poorly written sentence.
valleytexfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011   #5
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Here's my first entry:

Just like with this MB, I read for the info I might gain not to critique grammer.
Old 08-14-2011   #6
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 349460 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Just like with this MB, I read for the info I might gain not to critique grammer.
Good thing.

Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011   #7
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Here's my first entry:

I didn't read it that way.

I took it as him saying that in his 14 appearances that Vance Jo saw (on film), he caught his eye with the effort he displayed.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong and he really was implying that Vjo was here last year.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-14-2011   #8
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 267323 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

The problem comes when poor syntax (as found in this article) can CHANGE THE INTERPRETATION/MEANING of the sentence.
Old 08-14-2011   #9
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Good thing.

Exactly! Did you like that?
Old 08-14-2011   #10
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
The problem comes when poor syntax (as found in this article) can CHANGE THE INTERPRETATION/MEANING of the sentence.
Really? Did it take anyone long to know exactly what the author was trying to say in the Chron? Sure, if you are a professional writer spell check or editors or something should catch mistakes. It is just hilarious to me how seriously some of the posters on this MB take themselves.
Old 08-14-2011   #11
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Really? Did it take anyone long to know exactly what the author was trying to say in the Chron? Sure, if you are a professional writer spell check or editors or something should catch mistakes. It is just hilarious to me how seriously some of the posters on this MB take themselves.
badboy,

I directed no criticism toward your post (grammar or syntax) or any other MB poster. I specifically responded concerning the writings of the Chronicle writer. He IS a professional, and outside of an occasional typo I would expect his writings to be clear and concise. That may be MY feeling and mine alone. But I personally don't expect to be guessing about the meaning of a statement, or worried whether I interpreted it correctly or not.
Old 08-14-2011   #12
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
badboy,

I directed no criticism toward your post (grammar or syntax) or any other MB poster. I specifically responded concerning the writings of the Chronicle writer. He IS a professional, and outside of an occasional typo I would expect his writings to be clear and concise. That may be MY feeling and mine alone. But I personally don't expect to be guessing about the meaning of a statement, or worried whether I interpreted it correctly or not.
CND, I specifically stated expectations of a pro is different & therefore we agree, but you have been on MB long enough to know what I am speaking about with grammar Nazis. People spend way too much time criticizing Walter(s) or other silly matters. 98% of the time all knows what the poster is saying. It is like the John McClain bashing, one comment and then the entire board jumps on.

Still a person of your educational & knowlege probably had little difficulty understanding the writers meaning.
Old 08-14-2011   #13
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
CND, I specifically stated expectations of a pro is different & therefore we agree, but you have been on MB long enough to know what I am speaking about with grammar Nazis. People spend way too much time criticizing Walter(s) or other silly matters. 98% of the time all knows what the poster is saying. It is like the John McClain bashing, one comment and then the entire board jumps on.

Still a person of your educational & knowlege probably had little difficulty understanding the writers meaning.
The original post would lead a casual fan to believe that Joseph was db coach for the Texans in 2010. Sloppy bit of reporting, but not the 1st I've found this week.
Old 08-14-2011   #14
Revolution
All Pro

Rep Power: 305 Revolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not true. When I read this, I think the person writing it has no clue. When writing suffers to this extent, Grammar Nazi has every right to pounce. I totally agree with the Walter vs. Walters comments; however, this is too much. We are becoming a nation of illiterate people.
Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011   #15
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

We should start some kinda boycott of the Chronicle until they replace these worthless sports "Journalists" that cover our teams .... The worst sports coverage in any major city in the USA.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011   #16
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Come on now it's the Chronicle you wouldn't expect people with Journalism majors in college to be able to spell or put together a coherent sentence would you. Just like the TV media being first is much more important than being accurate.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011   #17
cland
Veteran

Rep Power: 4611 cland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Come on now it's the Chronicle you wouldn't expect people with Journalism majors in college to be able to spell or put together a coherent sentence would you. Just like the TV media being first is much more important than being accurate.
Well said, Wolf. I don't want to start a journalistic ethos thread, but online publications from authoritative sources (aka. The Chronicle) should receive the same scrutiny as anything they put out in print. All publishing (online or not) should receive a competent amount of editing, particularly when you are the sole newspaper for the U.S.'s fourth largest city.

Here's two that stick out:

Corrections are published when errors are discovered.

A correction is an admission of the flaw followed by the correct information. Just cause it's easy to ninja edit an online flawed article, doesn't mean it's right. ESPN is terrible on this point, and I remember a thread on this board that talked about how the Chronicle claimed Barwin was a fifth round pick, only later did they ninja edit it to a third round pick (Still Wrong.)

Reporters are expected to be as accurate as possible given the time allotted to story preparation and the space available, and to seek reliable sources.

When this is ignored, Terry Bradshaw dies.
cland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011   #18
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Bad spellurz uv hte wrold, UNTIE!!!!!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read