Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-13-2011   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 268617 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Schaub, Johnson see more contested balls

It appears, at least on the surface, that Wade's new D is supplying more challenging practice for the O.

Quote:
August, 13, 2011
Aug 13
2:27
PM ET

By Paul Kuharsky
HOUSTON -- Not all the beneficiaries of the Texans' revamped defense are defenders.

Matt Schaub and Andre Johnson both raved to me this morning about how much the defense is helping the offense.

“There are more guys around the football,” Schaub said. “Andre and I talk about this just about every day. There are not receivers running wide open throughout the secondary. Every ball is a contested ball. There is always a defender in the area. That’s a positive sign when you get that in practice.”

Johnson’s impressed with the buy-in defensive players have made into Wade Phillips’ defense.

“Practice is as competitive as it’s probably been in a long time, you see a lot more balls broken up,” he said. “I’m just very anxious to see it (against other teams).”

While the two big outside additions -- cornerback Johnathan Joseph and safety Danieal Manning -- certainly have a big bearing on that, they haven’t outright seized leadership in the secondary.

“I told Glover Quin, ‘This is your secondary, man, look I’m a new guy,’” Manning said. “'You run it how you want to, I’m going to follow and if I see something out of whack or whatever I’m going to support you (with information and help).

'You’ve been here the longest. Run it, run it how you see fit.’ He’s like the quarterback back there, he’s calling everything. He’s going to be a great player.”
Manning seems to be one class act.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011   #2
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Schaub, Johnson see more contested balls

So pumped about Quin's move to safety.

I'm still really concerned about the pass rush though.
Old 08-13-2011   #3
vupac1
Veteran

Rep Power: 358 vupac1 is a quality contributor and well respectedvupac1 is a quality contributor and well respectedvupac1 is a quality contributor and well respectedvupac1 is a quality contributor and well respectedvupac1 is a quality contributor and well respectedvupac1 is a quality contributor and well respectedvupac1 is a quality contributor and well respectedvupac1 is a quality contributor and well respectedvupac1 is a quality contributor and well respectedvupac1 is a quality contributor and well respectedvupac1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Great find! Thanks for sharing..

Can't wait for the season to start!!
vupac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011   #4
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79339 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Kim Kardashian, on the other hand, always sees uncontested balls.

/stupid
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011   #5
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
So pumped about Quin's move to safety.

I'm still really concerned about the pass rush though.
Phillips' defenses have always generated a good pass rush. & honestly with all our guys back healthy & me personally witnessing JJ Watt & Mario consistently ragdolling our o-linemen in practice a few days ago.....i think this is the year we finally get that elusive pass rush......& everyone in the secondary will look 10X better b/c of it.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011   #6
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Phillips' defenses have always generated a good pass rush. & honestly with all our guys back healthy & me personally witnessing JJ Watt & Mario consistently ragdolling our o-linemen in practice a few days ago.....i think this is the year we finally get that elusive pass rush......& everyone in the secondary will look 10X better b/c of it.
Yep. Those two were giving Winston and Briesel fits yesterday morning. Mario made Winston look downright silly yesterday with a brilliant swim move.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011   #7
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Nice find Doc.

Your guys pumped me up about our D too much already. I will be exhausted before the regular season starts. Hope, all the guys will be heathy when season starts.

Go Texans!!!
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-14-2011   #8
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 268617 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Unfortunately, last year against 3-4 Ds, it wasn't unusual to see that "ragdolling" of our O. Hopefully, they will have some "solution" for, and be better prepared for the big and quick 3-4 teams this year.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011   #9
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
Kim Kardashian, on the other hand, always sees uncontested balls.

/stupid
Nice. I was toying with the idea of throwing out the name Seymour Balls, but your post will suffice. ;-)
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011   #10
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
It appears, at least on the surface, that Wade's new D is supplying more challenging practice for the O.

Manning seems to be one class act.
I said something like this the other day, the defense getting a LOT more mention than previous years. Especially the # of INTs, seems to be ten times what it ever was.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011   #11
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 39889 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Last year the Texans gave up an average of 26.7 points per game on defense and scorered 24.4 points per game on offense. If Wade can knock that down by 6 points(a td) to 20.7 points per game, the team would be a top 15 Defense.

I think Kubiak can keep the offense right around 22-23 points per game. So if we scored on average 22-23 ppg and gave up 20.7, we would be in a much better position.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011   #12
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

I hope so but I am done getting my hopes up until the season starts and not the preseason either.
Old 08-14-2011   #13
Lucky

Rep Power: 218553 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
I think Kubiak can keep the offense right around 22-23 points per game. So if we scored on average 22-23 ppg and gave up 20.7, we would be in a much better position.
The Texans rushing attack last season was 7th in yards while only 19th in attempts (3rd in yards/attempt). If they can avoid falling behind early and abandoning the run, this offense is capable of dominating a game. The key? Coming out of the gate strong, putting points on the board, and allowing the defense to play with a lead. A 2nd half lead, with the Texans running game and improved pass defense, should equate to more wins.

Should.
Old 08-14-2011   #14
valleytexfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 275 valleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Last year the Texans gave up an average of 26.7 points per game on defense and scorered 24.4 points per game on offense. If Wade can knock that down by 6 points(a td) to 20.7 points per game, the team would be a top 15 Defense.

Awesomeness. If this doesn't get you psyched, don't know what will.
valleytexfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011   #15
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 91809 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'd much rather see our turnover differential go from huge negative numbers to huge positive numbers.
Old 08-14-2011   #16
IBleedTexans
Superbowl Bound

Rep Power: 3223 IBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I think thats very much achieveable.If n e thing , Im actually EXPECTING it .Im so ****ing stoked !!!!!!!! Sorry bout the langauge Im just SUPER PUMPED!!! :Im drinking the
IBleedTexans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011   #17
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 353155 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I'd much rather see our turnover differential go from huge negative numbers to huge positive numbers.
A minor point, but our turnover differential last season was 0.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011   #18
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
A minor point, but our turnover differential last season was 0.
So you're saying that for every time our offense did a good job of holding on to the ball and not turning it over, our defense did absolutely nothing to cause TOs? Sounds about right.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011   #19
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Our defense came up with 18 turnovers last season - 13 picks and 5 fumble recoveries.

The Cowboy defense - if you assume it's the same one Wade put together - came up with 30 T/O's (20 ints and 10 fumble recoveries).

And, for the record, the Cowboy turnover differential was also zero last year.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011   #20
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
So you're saying that for every time our offense did a good job of holding on to the ball and not turning it over, our defense did absolutely nothing to cause TOs? Sounds about right.
Or you can say whenever the offense turned it over defense went out and got it back.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read