Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-12-2011   #1
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 75563 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Vance Joseph on Brandon Harris

Vance Joseph on Brandon Harris:

High football I.Q.
He's performed in practice like he belongs garnering attention and the praise of cornerbacks coach Vance Joseph - and put himself in position to get playing time this season.

"He's showed that he has a high football I.Q. and good instincts on the field lately," Vance Joseph said. "He's above his time and plays like a veteran so that inside nickel spot is going to be his."

Thought this was pretty telling. I know alot of folks here were really excited about Rick Smith moving back into the2nd to get him. Sounding more and more like a great move all the time.

Read more: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...#ixzz1UqnKsRRr

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011   #2
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Damn. The nickel spot is his.

That's a pretty strong statement. Looks like everyone else, besides he and Joseph, will have to get in where they fit in.

Competition for that outside corner spot just got a little more heated.

Harris may indeed be the starter sooner rather than later. He would probably still slide into the nickel though. But Saying that the nickel spot is his speaks volumes.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011   #3
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Vance Joseph on Brandon Harris

We got Harris late in the 2nd round, and prior to the draft, many mocks had him as a borderline 1st. He was a great value for the cost of our 3rd and 5th. I'm glad to see he was worth it, and I hope he continues to improve and impress the coaches.
Old 08-12-2011   #4
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Well all the signs are bad for KJ, which is good for our team, the possibility that you're #1 CB from last year might not even be #3 this year, that kind of improvement in monumental and something any team would be ecstatic to achieve in 1 year.

I still have this nagging doubt that the Texans might do something crazy like keep on starting him year after year in the hope that he turns the corner and gets better, but now that kubes isn't in control of the D i'm fully hopeful that the best man will start.

If Kjax does start, he'd better do well because for all Jason Allen's faults if you take him out of the lineup you are losing a huge turnover potential that all things being equal could be worth a W or 2 come the end of the season.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011   #5
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
Well all the signs are bad for KJ, which is good for our team, the possibility that you're #1 CB from last year might not even be #3 this year, that kind of improvement in monumental and something any team would be ecstatic to achieve in 1 year.

I still have this nagging doubt that the Texans might do something crazy like keep on starting him year after year in the hope that he turns the corner and gets better, but now that kubes isn't in control of the D i'm fully hopeful that the best man will start.

If Kjax does start, he'd better do well because for all Jason Allen's faults if you take him out of the lineup you are losing a huge turnover potential that all things being equal could be worth a W or 2 come the end of the season.
Brandon Harris being firmly in the lead for the nickel position says nothing about KJac not being the #2. I think maybe we are getting ahead of ourselves.

I also think anyone who thinks Brandon Harris is the perfect nickel is way off. Glover Quin was the perfect nickel. Kareem is more like Quin than Harris is, so Kareem is the perfect nickel.

Harris is more like Joseph, a true cover corner.

If they kick Jackson in on nickel situations like they did Glover, then that will be a bad sign for Jackson, IMO.

So watch for that Monday night.
Old 08-12-2011   #6
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Brandon Harris being firmly in the lead for the nickel position says nothing about KJac not being the #2. I think maybe we are getting ahead of ourselves.

I also think anyone who thinks Brandon Harris is the perfect nickel is way off. Glover Quin was the perfect nickel. Kareem is more like Quin than Harris is, so Kareem is the perfect nickel.

If they kick Jackson in on nickel situations like they did Glover, then that will be a bad sign for Jackson, IMO.

Way to go TK! I agree 100% & think Jackson might follow Quin to safety both as a position and for his career. As a back up with less stress, KJ could work on safety and corner skills.
Old 08-12-2011   #7
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I disagree.

The coach didn't say Harris was in the lead. He said the spot is his. Huge difference. That means that he has been consistently better than every other candidate.

Either way, Kareem isn't going to the nickel and he's not going to safety. If he doesn't win the starting job he's likely going to the bench and special teams. He has two guys challenging him for his spot.

The excuse time is over for kjax. Time for him to put up. Hopefully he can play to the level of expectations, but if he can't he's just going to be a bench rider/spot duty.
Sponsored links
Old 08-12-2011   #8
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

My biggest concern with KJax is is lack of speed or recovery speed that cant be taught so this may prove to be a dead pick.
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011   #9
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
My biggest concern with KJax is is lack of speed or recovery speed that cant be taught so this may prove to be a dead pick.
It is my opinion, he does have recovery speed, it is a psychological delay that is his downfall. When he misses a bump or gets flummoxed by a WR he mentally kicks himself that split second before turning on the "recovery" burners. Not sure if he can get past this. I think he'd do better playing off the WR a couple feet rather than bumping.
Old 08-13-2011   #10
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Remember that I said Harris looks like Jackson's younger brother.
Both Harris (Miami) and Jackson (Alabama) played in the pattern matching concept in coverage.
Joseph played in the same system with the Bengals.

This is what Wade employs in his coverage scheme.

The reason Harris seems like a cover corner to you is because in that coverage, he would lock on a receiver and follows him like in man coverage.

In this system, one or both of the safeties (especially the FS) can be free to make plays (on occasions).
This is why Wade's safety tandem averaged nearly 6 INTs per year (and that included all the years he didn't have good safeties on the roster); something the Texans never had.

The safety tandem from Alabama had 11 INTs last year, and the duo from the Hurricanes had 6.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011   #11
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 19116 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
Brandon Harris was actually slower than KJ in the 40 @ the combine..

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011   #12
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the fact that Harris is playing very well and might be the nickle, Allen seems to be playing well and might be the CB2, and the fact that Joseph will be CB1 means that the Texans can afford to be a little patient with KJ and that KJ will have good CB's around him to learn from along with much better coaching. Like many other players KJ looks to be one of those players that takes some time to develope. Lets be patient with him and be very glad that Harris is a Texan.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011   #13
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14152 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm just happy there is so much competition all over the field. So now guys know that lackluster play should mean that they will not be a Texan for long. Last year Kareem and Quinn were locked into their spots and really, what was behind them was not much better if at all.

Not only at the CB spot but even at the WR spot we seem to have a lot of comp there...just all over the field. That is a good thing, and the only rookie we will be starting I think is Watt. Harris playing the nickle is what Kareem should have done last year but our lack of talent forced him to literally be a key player and thats asking a lot of a rookie CB.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011   #14
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
Brandon Harris was actually slower than KJ in the 40 @ the combine..
Track speed does not equal football speed.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011   #15
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24496 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

I don`t really know much about DB rotations, but even if KJax isn`t starting at CB1, CB2, CB3 - wouldn`t he still get much playing time backing all those spots up? In the end, it`s only good that we actually have a competition at this spot this year - let`s not forget we still have some other guys competing for playing time. Someone should step up and be a competent #2 opposite Joseph.
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011   #16
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Track speed does not equal football speed.
Not only that but the forty doesn't take into account instincts and the ability to diagnose plays.
Old 08-13-2011   #17
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

I was at the Friday open practice and he has shown he's the 3rd best corner on the team. His acceleration out of the break, and aggression are really good. In this league today, the 3rd corner is a starter because he plays 60% of the snaps. That's more tha the sam. To me, kareem is a cover 2 corner. His transition out of his break is ok when the play is in front of him, but when he comes out the backpedal on a 9 route, its not good.
Old 08-13-2011   #18
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I disagree.

The coach didn't say Harris was in the lead. He said the spot is his. Huge difference. That means that he has been consistently better than every other candidate.
We went back into the second round to get him. There is no way he will not play significant minutes. His draft spot makes him the nickel, period. Any "camp competition" is a farce.

My point was Harris being the nickel isn't saying much... he was expected to be the nickel. If he gets moved into the #2 spot, then we're saying something.

Or are you surprised that Harris has beaten out McMannis, Moulden, Carmichael & McCain?

If you answer yes you are surprised, my response is "Really?"
Quote:
Either way, Kareem isn't going to the nickel and he's not going to safety. If he doesn't win the starting job he's likely going to the bench and special teams. He has two guys challenging him for his spot.
Allen is a scrub, his best days are behind him. If he is truly challenging Jackson for a spot, things don't look good for KJac.

& I'm fine with that.

Don't believe it, but it matters not to me if KJac is on the field or not. I only want the best options out there at game day.

Harris IMO is the only true competition for Jackson. I think he looked better coming out of college than Jackson did. I think the heat is on Jackson & it's coming from Harris. I don't see Allen as a viable #2.
Quote:
The excuse time is over for kjax. Time for him to put up. Hopefully he can play to the level of expectations, but if he can't he's just going to be a bench rider/spot duty.
I don't know about this either. The kid can play. He's got skills. He is at least the third best corner on the team.
Old 08-13-2011   #19
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Remember that I said Harris looks like Jackson's younger brother.
Both Harris (Miami) and Jackson (Alabama) played in the pattern matching concept in coverage.
Joseph played in the same system with the Bengals.
I've seen you mention this before.. I'm sorry, but I don't agree. I think Harris' man coverage skills are much better than Jackson's. They may have played in similar systems in college. & this may be the same system. But I would rarely ask KJac to man up with a quality receiver.

I need to see how Harris handles NFL talent, but from what I've seen I think he'll be better in man situations. He's a rookie, so I don't think we'll see him take that #2 spot until late in the season, or next year.

But I do think we'll see Jackson moving inside on the slot receiver where the goal is to be more physical.
Old 08-13-2011   #20
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
I was at the Friday open practice and he has shown he's the 3rd best corner on the team. His acceleration out of the break, and aggression are really good. In this league today, the 3rd corner is a starter because he plays 60% of the snaps. That's more tha the sam. To me, kareem is a cover 2 corner. His transition out of his break is ok when the play is in front of him, but when he comes out the backpedal on a 9 route, its not good.
Are you saying Jackson is the 3rd best corner? Talent wise, I don't doubt that. I'd still like to see Harris play against NFL WRs for 60 minutes before I say he's better than KJac.

I would call Jackson a zone corner, I think cover 2 corner is similar.

But there is nothing wrong with zone corners in the right system.

I think Nnamdi is a zone corner.... Revis is a cover corner.. but I think they are neck & neck for best CB in the league. I'm not saying they are system CBs, but the DC has to be able to utilize their skills correctly otherwise they'll look like KJac in 2010.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read