Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-11-2011   #1
Lady.Gaga.3000
Veteran

Rep Power: 418 Lady.Gaga.3000 is a quality contributor and well respectedLady.Gaga.3000 is a quality contributor and well respectedLady.Gaga.3000 is a quality contributor and well respectedLady.Gaga.3000 is a quality contributor and well respectedLady.Gaga.3000 is a quality contributor and well respectedLady.Gaga.3000 is a quality contributor and well respectedLady.Gaga.3000 is a quality contributor and well respectedLady.Gaga.3000 is a quality contributor and well respectedLady.Gaga.3000 is a quality contributor and well respectedLady.Gaga.3000 is a quality contributor and well respectedLady.Gaga.3000 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Fan Mentality After Week 4

I'm a very positive and optimistic person in life so I don't want to sound like a Debby-Downer here, but the Texans have a fair possibility of being 1-3 after the first four games.

Vs. Ind
@ MIA
@ NO
Vs. PIT

We all love the Texans, right? If the Texans do end up 1-3 are we going to be calling for Kubiak's job (typical fan response). Would 2-2 be considered a success for you?

To me, 4-0 would be the best thing ever, but I would be extremely happy with 2-2 considering the rest of the schedule is a bit easier. I understand our defense did not have ample time to learn the new schemes, but I would be very disappointed if the Texans cannot prove they can hang with the big boys in the NFL.
Lady.Gaga.3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011   #2
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 96739 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Fan Mentality After Week 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady.Gaga.3000 View Post
I'm a very positive and optimistic person in life so I don't want to sound like a Debby-Downer here, but the Texans have a fair possibility of being 1-3 after the first four games.

Vs. Ind
@ MIA
@ NO
Vs. PIT

We all love the Texans, right? If the Texans do end up 1-3 are we going to be calling for Kubiak's job (typical fan response). Would 2-2 be considered a success for you?

To me, 4-0 would be the best thing ever, but I would be extremely happy with 2-2 considering the rest of the schedule is a bit easier. I understand our defense did not have ample time to learn the new schemes, but I would be very disappointed if the Texans cannot prove they can hang with the big boys in the NFL.
I expect us to start 1-3, or 2-2 at the very best. I figure it will take that long before the defense really starts to come together, plus there are 3 high quality teams in the first 4 games who are capable of beating anybody.
My only disappointment will be if the defense is sucking after game 4, and showing no improvement. I think the team will be fine after a somewhat slow start.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011   #3
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 254692 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

There are people calling for Kubiak's job right now. If we go 1-3 or 0-4 through those first 4 games, and I'll stop coming to the board because the reaction will be just insane asking for his head.

Until we start a season better than 5-7 under Kubiak, there will be people calling for his head.

If we get to the playoffs, there are people on this board who will still want him gone because they consider him a bad headcoach... period. Some people won't be satisfied unless he wins a couple of Super Bowls.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011   #4
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

2-2 would be fine with me because we would have a real chance after that to go on a bit of a run. I believe we could even recover from 1-3. The first four games are borderline murderer's row. Obviously better is ideal and a lot of how I feel will be determined by the manner of their victories or losses.
Old 08-11-2011   #5
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

They must be 2-2 at minimum if they expect to make the playoffs.

Sure, teams have rebounded from 1-3 to make the cut, but those teams weren't the Houston Texans.

Of course, even a 4-2 record doesn't guarantee anything. Amazing how long a 16 game schedule can really be sometimes.
Old 08-11-2011   #6
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Not that I think it's a given, but the Colts tend to rile our players up to actually play. It's one of the two games a year you can count on Mario going into beast mode. I think we at least should be favored in that game at home, as we are to a point right now where we are always competitive against them at home. If our defense plays at the worst as bad as they did last year in that game, well...I think we saw what happened then.

I don't see any reason why we don't have a chance against the Dolphins. NO and Pit I think are tough ones.

I think 2-2 is reasonable for us to accept. Anything less would and should be a disappointment if we are "turning" the corner like they say we are. I say the Colts should be a win (Manning can't possibly be in tip-top form after missing training camp and what will likely be most if not all pre-season games) and take your pick from the other 3.
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011   #7
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 253700 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
There are people calling for Kubiak's job right now. If we go 1-3 or 0-4 through those first 4 games, and I'll stop coming to the board because the reaction will be just insane asking for his head.

Until we start a season better than 5-7 under Kubiak, there will be people calling for his head.

If we get to the playoffs, there are people on this board who will still want him gone because they consider him a bad headcoach... period. Some people won't be satisfied unless he wins a couple of Super Bowls.
You've described me perfectly. LOL. But as to the thread, my mentality about the Texans rises and falls on their won-loss record, as does everyone elses. If the Texans are doing very well, there'll still be some of us who want another head coach, we just won't be very vocal about it. If the Texans crash and burn as usual, then yeah, expect the anti-Kubiak crowd to be in here with pitchforks and torches.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-11-2011   #8
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 54609 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

nevermind.
Old 08-11-2011   #9
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Vs. Ind
@ MIA
@ NO
Vs. PIT

I can't tell if you are being serious or not. It's tough to read your poker face...
Old 08-11-2011   #10
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Honestly, it probably depends mostly on the Pitt game. If we win, ecstatic pandemonium all around. If we lose, then the season is doomed.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011   #11
Seņor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Seņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not ready to put up the white flag. The Bengals swept their division two seasons ago...yeah, THOSE Bengals. They beat the Steelers AND the Ravens twice.
Seņor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011   #12
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

2-2 is what i am expecting would be great to go 3-1. Texans sre at the point where they have to beat the teams that they are favored and start to at least split the games that they are not favored in. With that said:
favored plus 9
MIA w
TEN w
TEN w
JAG w
JAG w
CLE w
CIN w
CAR w
OAK w

not favored if split say 1 under thats plus 3
IND
IND
PIT
NO
BAL
TB
ATL

total 12-4 would be great but i predict
10-6
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011   #13
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I expect to win the Miami game and at least one of the other three. I'd hope it's Indy and Miami. If we go 2-2 to start with, I'll be pleased. The back end of our schedule looks very manageable at this point. After the first 4 games, we've got the Raiders, Titans twice, Jaguars twice, Browns, Bengals and Panthers that are very winnable games.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011   #14
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 149849 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Steelers is the only game I would put an L beside before the game. I am more interested in how they play those four than the W-L. 3-1 is my thought.
Old 08-11-2011   #15
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 62368 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Sorry dude (?) .

I can't just call this typical fan talk as in..."Here come those dumbass fans again". But I can call it typical fan talk as in......"Yeah, he should have BEEN fired by now so here come those fans preaching that with their typical venom".

Seriously....look at his record....

Until he actually has a good start to the season for once and the team has consistent games not looking like they were totally unprepared the talk is justified IMO.

But as it relates to this season, as we have a new D and have a rough 1st 4, I will be pissed, yes, but it will be tempered somewhat............for now.

Dormant bodies bursting!
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011   #16
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Vs. Ind
@ MIA
@ NO
Vs. PIT

Welcome to the board. This performance on the Howard Stern show really won me over.

It's a fun exercise, but it's tough to project a record before the season starts. You never know who's going to show up until around Week 3. We might get the Dolts, the Sardines, the Aint's, and the Squealers.

And I think that we might stay the Hexans for a few weeks until Wade's defense comes together.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011   #17
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90635 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
I expect us to start 1-3, or 2-2 at the very best. I figure it will take that long before the defense really starts to come together
I like how every year we bask in the glory of last years offense...we assume they will start out of the gates the same way they finished the season.

REAL TALK PEOPLE (I hate Josh Ennis)

Not only is the defense learning a new system...our offense is a precision timing offense...a timing offense that has had less practice then any other year. Both sides of the ball are going to start off slow.

Fan mentality that early in the season depends on the last game we played.

If we won we're going to the superbowl.

If we lost people on this board will argue to draft Andrew Luck.
Old 08-11-2011   #18
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 17572 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

I think we have a really good shot at being 3-1 coming out of the gate. I think we'll beat the Colts at home again and i think we'll pretty much start splitting with them every year till Peyton retires. Miami is very beatable, as we have never lost to them. I think we'll lose to the Saints as we never have matched up well with them and they're a very good home team. And the Steelers certainly aren't invincible, and i think we have a chance to go toe to toe with them and hang with them. I can see us taking that game.

My
Old 08-11-2011   #19
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
I like how every year we bask in the glory of last years offense...we assume they will start out of the gates the same way they finished the season.

Not only is the defense learning a new system...our offense is a precision timing offense...a timing offense that has had less practice then any other year. Both sides of the ball are going to start off slow.

That's very true, but the same could be said for Indy. They're as much if not more a precision type of offense and Peyton is coming off of neck surgery with zero practice with his team, likely none during preseason.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011   #20
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post

I know Peyton is seen as the GOAT, but their offense with his neck surgery and having no practice should be in the same boat as us at the very least when we start the season with them. Likewise, last year we came out of the gate strong on offense since we were pumped up. Hopefully we can do that again.

EDIT: Ole Miss beat me to it!
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read