Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-11-2011   #1
cj5776
Veteran

Rep Power: 70 cj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default backup OLBS

Does anyone else find it odd we have only Nading and Reed, along with a pair of undrafted rookies behind the starters at outside linebacker. Hopefully that is a spot we will address soon when the cuts of other teams start. Is this a concern to anyone else?
Old 08-11-2011   #2
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 124742 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: backup OLBS

We'll probably grab something off waivers. However, I've seen decent reports, video and pictures on this Braman kid. We are very thin at the LB spot
Old 08-11-2011   #3
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Cheta was not undrafted. He came as close as you can get but still.

I'm not terribly worried about it. I like our first backup at both OLB in Reed and ILB in Sharpton. Difficult for any team to be really talented into 3rd string imo. Dobbins sounds like he could be serviceable inside as well. Honestly I believe they will focus on getting the best special teams guys out of the remaining spots.
Old 08-11-2011   #4
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I would have preferred guys with a little more coverage experience on the outside. BUT... this is our defense. Our OLBs are not coverage guys, they're get upfield and create havoc guys.

So Reed and Nading fit the mold and the philosophy of the defense.

Does it worry me? Yes.

But I'm not too worried. I want to see this defense operating. I want to see how this philosophy of a 5-2 with a smallish NT beneath a 2 deep shell with interchangeable safeties works when it runs up against a real NFL offense.

But that's just me.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011   #5
cj5776
Veteran

Rep Power: 70 cj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respected

Cheta is an ILB, not OLB according to depth charts and what I read.

When Capers was here running the D, he would always say OLB is the most important part of the 3-4. Thats why missing on Babin hurt so much. It was the quaterback of the deffense. But that could be the difference in Wade's D.
Old 08-11-2011   #6
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj5776 View Post
Cheta is an ILB, not OLB according to depth charts and what I read.

When Capers was here running the D, he would always say OLB is the most important part of the 3-4. Thats why missing on Babin hurt so much. It was the quaterback of the deffense. But that could be the difference in Wade's D.
Wasn't aware of Cheta was listed there, interesting. Either way, probably asking a bit much to have a real stable of OLBs with this being our first season in the 3-4. Hopefully one or two develop and we continue to build up the position in the future.
Old 08-11-2011   #7
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104197 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

I believe Matt Roth is still out there, but he wants to be a starter.

Ricky Sapp got cut from the Eagles. He's a DE but many though he was going to convert coming out of college. This is only his second year, so there is room to grow.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-11-2011   #8
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Roth signed with the Jaguars recently.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read