Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Do you think Schaub is "Elite"?
Yes 21 22.11%
No 17 17.89%
Fringe 57 60.00%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-11-2011   #21
dinkatoid
Veteran

Rep Power: 628 dinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The "Elite-ness" of Schaub

I think the rings/playoff wins argument sucks, because this is a team game. A QB is really important, but even a top notch QB will falter with a bad team.

I agree with a lot of what I read here saying that he is not elite. I do not think that is bad though, he got shafted by playing along side Peyton and Brady, which is pretty hard to live up to. These are the only 2 I would call elite, as they are surefire hall of fame players.

I think Brees is right there below, but I struggle putting him in the same category as the two above. I would say he is in my "fringe" category so to say. Rodgers also belongs here, as both of these guys could easily move up. I think I will surprise a few and round out my top 5 with Phillip Rivers. The guy puts up incredible numbers even when throwing to guys he doesn't know. Last year was every excuse for him to have a bad year, and he did quite the opposite.

I am on the edge about even putting Big Ben into the "fringe" category, so I kept him one below it. He is definitely a good QB, but he has a few more downsides in my opinion that keep him just below the 3 above. This is the same group I would put Schaub in. He is definitely above average by a decent margin, and top 10 QB in the league, but has a few more downfalls as the guys above.
Old 08-11-2011   #22
dinkatoid
Veteran

Rep Power: 628 dinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Frankly, I think Matt really has to win the big one to be considered elite because....well, he's goofy looking.
In that case, even 1 ring wont be enough to save Peyton...
Old 08-11-2011   #23
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I just repped a dinkatoid.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011   #24
BIG TORO 
TERADACTYL #23

Section: Bull Pen!
Rep Power: 17946 BIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
I just repped a dinkatoid.
LMAO me too!

Sig Courtesy of False Start
BIG TORO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011   #25
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 59111 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

See to me, and maybe I am watering down the term "Elite" which is unintentional, I consider Schaub in the "conversation" as in if you took the top 10 QB's in the league, which I would consider to be "Elte", Schaub would have to be in that list, maybe right at number 10, but on the list none the less.

Now, reserving P. Manning, Brady, etc., only as "Elite" I can understand, but I consider them as currently active HOFers so that is another level entirely of which Schaub is clearly not a part yet.

But to me, "Elite" can be used to described Schaub. So I don't consider "Elite" to only include Brady, P. Manning, etc., I consider it to mean more of like, one of the best in the league, that any other team would scramble to get and would be considered amongst the top 10 starters out of 32. So I guess I maybe use "Elite" more loosely than some.

But I do recognize that Brady, etc, are not only "Elite" but in another class above that by themselves. Hopefully this makes sense to more people than just me.

Into black waves I am sinking,Drowning away from the ghosts,Disappearing into eternity,Into the mirror of my soul,The pounding sound is mesmerizing
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011   #26
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56462 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub is somewhere around 7 or 8 on my list.

Something like Manning, Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Ben, Rivers ahead of him for sure.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011   #27
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 59111 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
Schaub is somewhere around 7 or 8 on my list.

Something like Manning, Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Ben, Rivers ahead of him for sure.
Agreed.

My list (some QB's below #5 could be flip flopped but I'm at work so just threw them down...)

Tom Brady (using rings as a tie breaker but I don't use rings to determine "Elite" ie Dan Marino)
Peyton Manning
Big Ben (YOU spell his last name haha)
Aaron Rodgers
Drew Brees
Matt Ryan
Mike Vick
Matt Schaub
Phillip Rivers
Eli Manning (hey, it was between him and Romo so eff Dallas.....)

Into black waves I am sinking,Drowning away from the ghosts,Disappearing into eternity,Into the mirror of my soul,The pounding sound is mesmerizing
Sponsored links
Old 08-11-2011   #28
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTown2ATX View Post

His argument was that Schaub couldn't be considered Eilte as he has not had a playoff win. I refuted this with he hasn't even BEEN there yet which is not on him. I also mentioned that clearly Andre Johnson is Elite and he has never been to the playoffs, etc. So I at least blew his argument up enough that he finally at least conceeded that Schaub is "fringe" Elite.

But, this just got me wondering what other Texans fans thought?
I understand what you're saying about the play-offs. But unfortunately for a QB, wins count. & you get to the play-offs by winning football games.

It's not fair, I know it. But it is what it is.

He's fringe, because we know his production isn't a fluke. He's going to get you 3500+ a season.. around 20 TDs.

All he's got to do now, IMO, is win.

Ω
Old 08-11-2011   #29
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Elite QBs in the league:
Manning (the good one)
Brady
Rodgers
Brees

That's it for me. Top 4 out of 32 starters, which is about the top ~10%.
I don't put Rodgers in that category.

For me, the only elites in the league are Peyton, Brady, & Romo......

I'm just kidding about Romo.

Peyton
Brady
Brees

then second Tier in my mind

Rivers
Schaub
Rodgers
Ben

Vick had 1 good year, McNabb had one bad year. I've still got McNabb over Vick in a lower tier.
Old 08-11-2011   #30
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 24544 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Elite = first time NFL hall of fame ballot.

Elite:
Peyton Manning
Tom Brady

1st Tier:
Big Ben
Aaron Rodgers
Phillip Rivers
Drew Brees

The only thing that keep Matt Schaub out of the 1st tier to me is his arm strength and down the field throws are just really bad..

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011   #31
BetaV1
Veteran

Rep Power: 3508 BetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Of course Schaub is elite, and I'm not afraid to say it. It's time that people put that grade school notion of "playoffs wins" and "rings" to rest. You want to call Schaub a choker? Fine. But to suggest that he is not up there with the elite is downright insulting.

At the end of the day, football is a team sport, and everyone has to do their share. Three seasons ago, Drew Brees threw for an insane 5,069 yards, falling just 15 yards short of a new NFL record. Yet much like how Schaub had to deal with the worst defense ever possible last year, so did Brees have to deal with the worst defense. The Saints went 8-8, despite Brees' record year and "elite" status. You put Brees on the Texans last year and does anyone here actually want to make the case that the Texans win more than six games? If you do, well, you know that old saying about a bridge.

Don't get me started on that whole notion of post-season consistency either. Tom Brady has been arguably playing his best football since 2007, and yet that was when he had his last playoff win. Manning has been considered elite for a decade now, and he's got one lousy ring to show for it, which is the same amount of rings of Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer. Meanwhile, you got Mark Sanchez and Joe Flacco consistently getting into the post-season and winning. Why not throw them into the "elite" category while we're at it? (If you do think those two are elite, well... I still got that bridge.)

I'm not sure we can establish a widely accepted definition for "elite," but I will tell you that my definition of it is whether or not a team can continue to fight, battle, and battlefight without said player. If you take Manning off the Colts, they're nothing. You take Adrian Peterson away from the Vikings and they'll be lucky to win more than a few games. I don't know many quarterbacks in this league who could have led the team to so many insane come-from-behind games as Schaub did last year. Sure, he fell short, but if it weren't for him, we wouldn't have even given over half of our opponents the scare that we did. If you take Schaub off the Texans, we're done. End of story. And that's plenty good enough for me to consider him elite.

-Credit to False Start for this signature-
BetaV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011   #32
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaV1 View Post
Of course Schaub is elite, and I'm not afraid to say it. It's time that people put that grade school notion of "playoffs wins" and "rings" to rest. You want to call Schaub a choker? Fine. But to suggest that he is not up there with the elite is downright insulting.

At the end of the day, football is a team sport, and everyone has to do their share. Three seasons ago, Drew Brees threw for an insane 5,069 yards, falling just 15 yards short of a new NFL record. Yet much like how Schaub had to deal with the worst defense ever possible last year, so did Brees have to deal with the worst defense. The Saints went 8-8, despite Brees' record year and "elite" status. You put Brees on the Texans last year and does anyone here actually want to make the case that the Texans win more than six games? If you do, well, you know that old saying about a bridge.

Don't get me started on that whole notion of post-season consistency either. Tom Brady has been arguably playing his best football since 2007, and yet that was when he had his last playoff win. Manning has been considered elite for a decade now, and he's got one lousy ring to show for it, which is the same amount of rings of Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer. Meanwhile, you got Mark Sanchez and Joe Flacco consistently getting into the post-season and winning. Why not throw them into the "elite" category while we're at it? (If you do think those two are elite, well... I still got that bridge.)

I'm not sure we can establish a widely accepted definition for "elite," but I will tell you that my definition of it is whether or not a team can continue to fight, battle, and battlefight without said player. If you take Manning off the Colts, they're nothing. You take Adrian Peterson away from the Vikings and they'll be lucky to win more than a few games. I don't know many quarterbacks in this league who could have led the team to so many insane come-from-behind games as Schaub did last year. Sure, he fell short, but if it weren't for him, we wouldn't have even given over half of our opponents the scare that we did. If you take Schaub off the Texans, we're done. End of story. And that's plenty good enough for me to consider him elite.
Good post. Almost worthy of rep. But the attitude... I decline.

You see how that works. Yes, Schaub is comparable in several categories to the elites, but the elites have it all. They are deserving... Schaub is fringe.
Old 08-11-2011   #33
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonaaayyyy View Post
Tough. Who's better? Matt Ryan or Matt Schaub?
No question for me. Schaub.

I personally think Matt Ryan is a tad bit over rated.
Old 08-11-2011   #34
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaV1 View Post

Great post.....and for the record, I agree with you. Rep.
Old 08-11-2011   #35
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89251 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
I said no. When he starts to win games that matters I may change my mind.

Schaub is an average QB with an elite WR that inflates Schaubs stats.
That's why I call him the white Daunte Culpepper

Fringe for me. I'd put him and Romo in about the same place. Good QB that can win a Super Bowl, but certainly not one of the greats.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011   #36
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
That's why I call him the white Daunte Culpepper

C'mon man....he's better than that

Old 08-11-2011   #37
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89251 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTown2ATX View Post

C'mon man....he's better than that
I don't mean it out of disrespect

Pep was a good QB in his prime, even a complete player. His stats just got bumped in a huge way because of Moss.

In that way, Schaub is the straight Jeff Garcia
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011   #38
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
I don't mean it out of disrespect

Pep was a good QB in his prime, even a complete player. His stats just got bumped in a huge way because of Moss.

In that way, Schaub is the straight Jeff Garcia
Lol...I know what you meant. Just thought it was funny....images of him flashed through my head.

Old 08-11-2011   #39
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 52212 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub is a system QB who is tied @ the hip to the success or failure of his head coach, right or wrong. This affliction is not insurmountable given a stronger support group

In regards to specific QB skill set, Schaub has elite leadership ability & game management skills, his height gives him tremendous advantage reading defenses & getting the ball out & though passing lanes. Not as accurate as I would like, especially under pressure, lacks mobility to scramble out of trouble, arm strength is suspect (needs time, hence play-action) with his long launch point, needs to step into throw making him susceptible to big hits/injury so there is durability concern. I like his position @ the top, good release with soft touch making his throws easy to catch

Matt Schaub is one hell of a nice guy but he needs to get have some playoff wins under his belt (Superbowl wouldn't hurt either) & put more pressure/fear into opposing defenses, until then I'm going to have to say fringe

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011   #40
PockyAF
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3090 PockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
To me an elite qb is someone who has been to the playoffs multiple times and has had success there. I think Schaub is a fringe elite player at this point and unless the Texans experience playoff success, he'll always be a qb that's regarded very highly but not an elite player. Manning, Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Big Ben, and Phillip Rivers are the the elite qbs in the league.
You're right, AJ is nowhere near being in the same class as Fitzgerald. I mean the guys been to the Super Bowl for pete's sake. AJ.. we'll he had that one year where we had a winning record.

Wait, he didn't even make the playoffs, so there's no way he can even be talked about as one of the "elites". Someone please tell Bill Cowher he's doing it wrong.

Because everything's rides on playoffs accomplishment, in the ultimate team game.
PockyAF is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read