Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-11-2011   #21
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Foster a 1 year wonder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
So,

Anyone else taking him #1 overall in their league?
I still would. I'm kind of liking Ray Rice as a top 2-3 pick. He'll be running behind Leach now!
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011   #22
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 248395 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
The comments about "easy to find a rb to perform in this ZBS" are puzzling. Like who in our existence? DDW, Slaton & Foster. Each had one very good year but our RB spot has been a sucking hole for years. Unfortunately for Arian, Ward looked very good and Tate could be as good if not better over all. I am okay if Smith waits to re-sign him or if it happens tomorrow. Foster is real deal.
I think it's really been an OL thing up until two years ago. Even Slaton's rookie season was more Slaton than the OL.

Now the OL is doing its thang...

Not saying that Foster isn't. Foster is special, put him behind our line & you've got magic.

We would still have a good run game with a Tate, Ward, Slaton line-up, not league leading rusher or #1 running team but probably in the top 10 if not knocking on it.
Old 08-11-2011   #23
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 96739 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
Adrian had a great year, noone can take that away from him, he'll get paid if he continues to excel the only problem with Adrian has alway been Adrian himself.

- trouble with off the field fights in college
- dropped completely off the charts in the draft cause of senior season and interview with draft scouts.
- has had a lot of trouble with his knees, knee surgery this year too!
- only player I think I've seen Kubiak bench.. just last year!

With all the issues I can see why they just don't want to dump a huge salary on him..

Adrian who?
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011   #24
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 27237 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
Adrian who?
Balboa??????

Old 08-11-2011   #25
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The comments about "easy to find a rb to perform in this ZBS" are puzzling. Like who in our existence? DDW, Slaton & Foster. Each had one very good year but our RB spot has been a sucking hole for years. Unfortunately for Arian, Ward looked very good and Tate could be as good if not better over all. I am okay if Smith waits to re-sign him or if it happens tomorrow. Foster is real deal.
I just look back at the Broncos and Texans during Kubiak's tenure [1995-2005 with Denver and 2006-Present with Houston]:

1. Terrell Davis - 1995-98 - Came in as a rookie 6th round pick and put up 4 straight 1,000+ yd seasons including a 2,000 yd year; 56 total TDs.

2. Mike Anderson - 2000 - Came in as a rookie 6th round pick and put up close to 1,500 yds rushing and 15 TDs.

3. Clinton Portis - 2002-2003 - Rookie 2nd round pick put up 1,500+ yd back to back seasons with 29 total TDs. Subsequently traded for Champ Bailey.

4. Reuben Droughns - 2004 - First season with significant carries. Came in after 4 seasons in the league with a total of 40 rushing attempts. Put up 1,200+ yds rushing.

5. Mike Anderson - 2005 - Kubiak's last year in Denver, Anderson came back from injury and put up 1,000+ yds and 12 TDs

6. Steve Slaton - 2008 - Rookie 3rd round pick put up 1,282 yds and 9 TDs.

7. Arian Foster - 2010 - 1,616 yds rushing and 16 TDs as a "second year" undrafted free agent.

As Offensive Coordinator or Head Coach, Kubiak has had 11 seasons with a 1,000+ yd rusher and 5 seasons without. 3 of those seasons were with Houston in 06/07/09. He's had 4 Rookies put up 1,000 yd+ seasons (two 6th round picks, a 2nd rounder and a 3rd rounder). He's had 1 "4yr veteran" do it in his first year to get more than 30 carries (carries of 6,4,30,0 in previous seasons), and an undrafted free agent (Foster) who did it in his 2nd year in the league and only receiving touches in the last 4 games of his rookie season.
Old 08-11-2011   #26
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 717 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

Didn't he played all of the season with a torn meniscus in his knee?
Old 08-11-2011   #27
unclejamima
Rookie

Rep Power: 172 unclejamima is a quality contributor and well respectedunclejamima is a quality contributor and well respectedunclejamima is a quality contributor and well respectedunclejamima is a quality contributor and well respectedunclejamima is a quality contributor and well respectedunclejamima is a quality contributor and well respectedunclejamima is a quality contributor and well respectedunclejamima is a quality contributor and well respectedunclejamima is a quality contributor and well respectedunclejamima is a quality contributor and well respectedunclejamima is a quality contributor and well respected

The only thing that slows down Foster is the passing game. I really think games were lost last year by Kubiak not running more plays for Arian early in games. It was run him for 5 yrds, pass, pass, punt. He is definitely an elite back in our system who is a threat to break one on any play. He is also a great pass catcher. I agree, if he starts strong, wrap him up for good.
unclejamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-11-2011   #28
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanfan2002114 View Post
After listening to Kubes comments yesterday, Tate better get that hammy healthy quick or he may be cut.
Zero chance of that happening.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011   #29
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153344 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I just look back at the Broncos and Texans during Kubiak's tenure [1995-2005 with Denver and 2006-Present with Houston]:

1. Terrell Davis - 1995-98 - Came in as a rookie 6th round pick and put up 4 straight 1,000+ yd seasons including a 2,000 yd year; 56 total TDs.

2. Mike Anderson - 2000 - Came in as a rookie 6th round pick and put up close to 1,500 yds rushing and 15 TDs.

3. Clinton Portis - 2002-2003 - Rookie 2nd round pick put up 1,500+ yd back to back seasons with 29 total TDs. Subsequently traded for Champ Bailey.

4. Reuben Droughns - 2004 - First season with significant carries. Came in after 4 seasons in the league with a total of 40 rushing attempts. Put up 1,200+ yds rushing.

5. Mike Anderson - 2005 - Kubiak's last year in Denver, Anderson came back from injury and put up 1,000+ yds and 12 TDs

6. Steve Slaton - 2008 - Rookie 3rd round pick put up 1,282 yds and 9 TDs.

7. Arian Foster - 2010 - 1,616 yds rushing and 16 TDs as a "second year" undrafted free agent.

As Offensive Coordinator or Head Coach, Kubiak has had 11 seasons with a 1,000+ yd rusher and 5 seasons without. 3 of those seasons were with Houston in 06/07/09. He's had 4 Rookies put up 1,000 yd+ seasons (two 6th round picks, a 2nd rounder and a 3rd rounder). He's had 1 "4yr veteran" do it in his first year to get more than 30 carries (carries of 6,4,30,0 in previous seasons), and an undrafted free agent (Foster) who did it in his 2nd year in the league and only receiving touches in the last 4 games of his rookie season.
Thanks for making my point. In last 5 years 2 RBs got 1k, if it is so easy to do why not one each year? I am not blaming Kubiak just saying that anyone can get a thousand is not happening.
Old 08-11-2011   #30
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20085 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Foster is the real deal. The owner is just cheap and afraid to make a (good)decision.
MEGA SWATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011   #31
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Thanks for making my point. In last 5 years 2 RBs got 1k, if it is so easy to do why not one each year? I am not blaming Kubiak just saying that anyone can get a thousand is not happening.
Yea I did that exercise because I've always heard that but never looked at the year by year production, and by which runningbacks. I'm convinced Denver had a good OL in place which really helped produce 9 thousand yd rushers in kubiak's 11 seasons. Davis obviously a STUD though.

I'm hoping that the crap that was the OL when Kubiak got here, is fixed. I think it took those 1st couple years to get his system in place. Now that it's in place I hope we have that same production here.

I don't think it's a coincidence that all those RBs happened to find instant success their rookie season, or first season with significant carries.
Old 08-12-2011   #32
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

The texans should give him a new 1-year deal at 5 million and see what happens after that and if he plays well then break bread with the man and stop playing games. The man did lead the NFL in rushing and that isn't easy regardless what system that you play and if you guys have ever played running back then you would know this maaaaan!!!!!
Old 08-12-2011   #33
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 74351 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post
The texans should give him a new 1-year deal at 5 million and see what happens after that and if he plays well then break bread with the man and stop playing games. The man did lead the NFL in rushing and that isn't easy regardless what system that you play and if you guys have ever played running back then you would know this maaaaan!!!!!
I don't think it's out of the question to see how the 2011 season plays out before handing him a buttload of money. He's given no signs that he wants to hold out, let him showcase himself and then pay him if you want.
Old 08-12-2011   #34
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 22796 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

I think he got alot of advice from Jamaal Charles on just being patient with it. I hope he gets it.
Old 08-12-2011   #35
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post
Why should a team that's barely under the cap give a player who has had one good (granted - way better than good) year, plays a position with a high injury risk and short career span, has no other options, is not complaining, and can be restricted prior to next off-season's free agency period a $5 Million contract?

I'm thinking (and to be honest - hoping) that between DDW, Steve Slaton, and to a lesser extent Ahman Green that they have learned a thing or two.
Old 08-12-2011   #36
kingh99

I hope not because B-Tate is B-Yond worthless. When you saw him cry on draft night, you knew he was a wasted pick. The kingh99 rule of predicted greatness number 1 is any player who cries after being drafted is going to be a bust. This is why I am not worried about guys like Watt and Reed. They laughed and expressed pride. Crying implies I've made my contract and I'm set for life. Not good. Not good at all. They need to push this guy and push him hard. He's dead money until they do.
Old 08-12-2011   #37
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 222777 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Actually we didn't fully employ the zone blocking philosophy here in Houston until the old guy (Alex Gibbs) came down and taught it to our O-line
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011   #38
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153344 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Actually we didn't fully employ the zone blocking philosophy here in Houston until the old guy (Alex Gibbs) came down and taught it to our O-line
WHen Gary was hired everyone talked about him bringing the Denver offense (ZBS) with him. I think Gibbs offense was a hybrid or a bit different than Denver's sort of like Wade's 3-4 is different than others.
Old 08-12-2011   #39
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 263816 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
WHen Gary was hired everyone talked about him bringing the Denver offense (ZBS) with him. I think Gibbs offense was a hybrid or a bit different than Denver's sort of like Wade's 3-4 is different than others.
At first, we used a hybrid/mix of the zone because of Sherman. When Gibbs came, we went to a more pure version of it. I think it took us a couple of seasons for our o-line to grow into it and then a little bit of time to find the right RBs for it; I don't think Slaton was originally the right guy but I think he's gotten better at the Zone system by watching how Foster and Ward read their blocks.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011   #40
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18944 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
Zero chance of that happening.
Yes. Pretty much no concern that he can perform. Concern is if he can stay on the field.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read