Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-11-2011   #1
dinkatoid
Veteran

Rep Power: 628 dinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Foster a 1 year wonder?

Via Rotoworld:

Texans owner Bob McNair said that Arian Foster won't get a long-term contract "based on one season."
McNair wants Foster, who is set to make just $525,000 this season, to prove that last year wasn't a fluke. "I think Arian understands if he performs this year, shows that he can be consistent, he'll be rewarded," McNair said. Foster has all the motivation and the talent to repeat last year's dominant performance. He's our No. 1 overall fantasy pick. Aug 11, 9:05 AM

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5469/arian-foster

My question is, if Foster has another solid year, will this end up costing us more to lock him up (or the possibility of losing him in FA)?
dinkatoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011   #2
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Foster a 1 year wonder?

If he comes out of the gate strong, he'll be locked and signed by the bye week.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011   #3
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I kind of see-saw on this. On one hand I believe he's already proved he wasn't a one year wonder. Remember if it weren't for Arian taking over in the last quarter of the 2009 season, we probably don't see 9-7 because he did really well in those games. It could also be argued that if he started earlier, the Texans probably go to the playoffs that year. Remember going into the 2010 season the question was if he could do what he did in the last part of 09? Well he did that.

On the other hand I think if you are an organization trying to make the playoffs, then you hang that carrot out in front of probably your most hungry player.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011   #4
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont think the Texans have the cap to sign him even if they wanted to. Foster needs the Texans offense as much as the Texans offense needs him right now. Not that we are a plug and play system, but finding another ZBS carrier isnt exactly the hardest position to fill.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011   #5
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 68059 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Lets just wait and see what he does this season before we tag him with the one year wonder tag.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011   #6
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 65936 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
If he comes out of the gate strong, he'll be locked and signed by the bye week.
This is the best case scenario, and one I think has a realistic chance of happening.

If Foster has a good season, and for whatever reason can't be signed to a long-term contract before it's over, he can still be tendered and restricted giving the Texans the right to either receive draft pick compensation or match the contract offered by another team. This is how David Anderson was retained a couple of years ago, even though he agreed to a contract with the Broncos. This method actually lets someone else due the negotiating. I think the existence of this possibility was also why paying Arian more than the $500K plus that he's making this year was likely never a serious consideration for the Texans.
Old 08-11-2011   #7
dinkatoid
Veteran

Rep Power: 628 dinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post
Lets just wait and see what he does this season before we tag him with the one year wonder tag.
I am not suggesting he is, that was in direct reference to the writing from Rotoworld, saying he had to prove it for more than 1 year. I think Foster is a solid back who fits really well into our system. That is why I brought up the cost of resigning him.

Like some other people have said, I am kinda back and forth on the issue. On one hand, he was great in college, came out here in 09 and played great, and only got better last year. I have no problem resigning him, as I feel he earned the bonus money.

On the other hand, he is still young and it never hurts to see how someone preforms in a contract year.
dinkatoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-11-2011   #8
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Remember how excited we were to see Domanick Davis get his much-deserved contract? Remember how that turned out? This kind of thing can go wrong at any moment and it's hard to ever know when to make the move to pay a running back big dollars. First you have to see if you've got one on your roster (even if you took one early in the draft). Then you have to wait and see if he's a flash in the pan. Then when you're pretty sure he's worth every penny of what you're going to pay an injury can bring it all crashing down on your cap anyway.

Running backs are so cool to have and so risky at the same time.

I think if Arian Foster does it again this year, all year we lock him up for the rest of his natural football life and just hope it's not cut short in some way.
Old 08-11-2011   #9
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

RB is one of the riskiest positions and "replaceable" in Kubiak's offense. I quote replaceable because Foster's performance last year was incredible and not everyone can do that. But Kubiak can find RBs that fit this model fairly easily. Again, I'm not saying let Foster walk and just plug in anybody... I think Foster stands for everything this organization wants in a player.

I think extending his contract right now and giving him a boatload of money (assuming we'd have no problems with the cap) would set a very bad precedent. This is an organization that doesn't want to reward a player for one season, they want to reward their players for their consistent play, teamwork, yadda yadda yadda. If we hypothetically gave Foster a HUGE contract right now, then every other player (particularly) at a skill position would be knocking on Rick Smith's door for a new contract after 1 good season. That's how you get back in cap hell. I'm all for rewarding your players, especially those you draft and groom and develop, but after they've clearly shown you consistent performance in helping the team.

EDIT: To respond to the thread title. No, I do not think Foster is a one year wonder. I think his skillset fits this offense very very well, he's got great size and speed, he doesn't let players hit him head on so he doesn't take the punishing hits a lot of RBs do, he has excellent vision to find the seam, and just as importantly his mind is in the right place - he's always trying to get better and knows he's can lose his starting role at any second.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011   #10
dinkatoid
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
RB is one of the riskiest positions and "replaceable" in Kubiak's offense. I quote replaceable because Foster's performance last year was incredible and not everyone can do that. But Kubiak can find RBs that fit this model fairly easily. Again, I'm not saying let Foster walk and just plug in anybody... I think Foster stands for everything this organization wants in a player.

I think extending his contract right now and giving him a boatload of money (assuming we'd have no problems with the cap) would set a very bad precedent. This is an organization that doesn't want to reward a player for one season, they want to reward their players for their consistent play, teamwork, yadda yadda yadda. If we hypothetically gave Foster a HUGE contract right now, then every other player (particularly) at a skill position would be knocking on Rick Smith's door for a new contract after 1 good season. That's how you get back in cap hell. I'm all for rewarding your players, especially those you draft and groom and develop, but after they've clearly shown you consistent performance in helping the team.

EDIT: To respond to the thread title. No, I do not think Foster is a one year wonder. I think his skillset fits this offense very very well, he's got great size and speed, he doesn't let players hit him head on so he doesn't take the punishing hits a lot of RBs do, he has excellent vision to find the seam, and just as importantly his mind is in the right place - he's always trying to get better and knows he's can lose his starting role at any second.
You do have a point with people wanting to cash in after 1 good season. However, RB is a strange position because generally their shelf life is so short. Its tough to get a free agent RB that makes a difference because usually after their rookie contract plus 1 extension, they are declining.

The potentially strange thing here is Tate was a 2nd round pick, who you have to assume they thought would start before Foster took off. So, hypothetically, if Tate has a stellar season and starts splitting carries, then what do they do? Do you let Foster walk and risk that Tate was a 1 year wonder? Do you resign Foster and run a great RBBC (pun intended), or trade 1 of the 2 of them?
Old 08-11-2011   #11
Vinnie
with an I E

Section: 506, best section in the 500's!
Rep Power: 7306 Vinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he's going to have a good year, but no way he repeats 2010. First, teams are going to key on him, and second we've got plenty of other guys to spread the ball around to. Ward wasn't exactly chopped liver last year, and now we've also got Ben Tate back. Arian may very well get tagged with the "one year wonder" label by no fault of his own.
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011   #12
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 614 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
I think he's going to have a good year, but no way he repeats 2010. First, teams are going to key on him, and second we've got plenty of other guys to spread the ball around to. Ward wasn't exactly chopped liver last year, and now we've also got Ben Tate back. Arian may very well get tagged with the "one year wonder" label by no fault of his own.

After listening to Kubes comments yesterday, Tate better get that hammy healthy quick or he may be cut. Slaton has carried the bulk of the carries so far this camp and from what people like LZ, Marc V and McClain have said that he looks good and very determined during camp.
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011   #13
dinkatoid
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanfan2002114 View Post
After listening to Kubes comments yesterday, Tate better get that hammy healthy quick or he may be cut. Slaton has carried the bulk of the carries so far this camp and from what people like LZ, Marc V and McClain have said that he looks good and very determined during camp.
Even with the stiff competition at RB, I would really doubt they would cut a 2nd round pick in his 2nd year after he spent his first on IR. I would think they would at least give him 1 more year to show his potential.
Old 08-11-2011   #14
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72459 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

I HOPE he's not a 1 year wonder, but I hoped the same thing about Steve Slaton.

And I get the feeling his hamstring problem is going to be a nagging one. So yeah, he's a 1 year wonder in my book until he proves he's not.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011   #15
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 21478 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

I would say that at minimum he is a 1.1875 year wonder as he had three strong games in 2009 at the end of the year.
Old 08-11-2011   #16
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 91487 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
I kind of see-saw on this. On one hand I believe he's already proved he wasn't a one year wonder. Remember if it weren't for Arian taking over in the last quarter of the 2009 season, we probably don't see 9-7 because he did really well in those games. It could also be argued that if he started earlier, the Texans probably go to the playoffs that year. Remember going into the 2010 season the question was if he could do what he did in the last part of 09? Well he did that.

On the other hand I think if you are an organization trying to make the playoffs, then you hang that carrot out in front of probably your most hungry player.
I don't think two games from a prior season before dispells the possibility that he was a one year wonder. That's just a mere sample from the season before.

I don't think he is a one year wonder either, but that doesn't suggest anything really. Bob is handling this right for a change and good for him. If history tells Foster anything, he should know that as long as he comes out tearing it up this season at some point in the season, Bob will probably be willing to take care of him as he has with other players in this organization who proved themselves. But it's good that Bob isn't jumping the gun here and dishing out tons of scratch after one season. I imagine after seeing what happened to Steve Slaton, he isn't going to fall for that without seeing a longer period of success.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011   #17
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 20837 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Adrian had a great year, noone can take that away from him, he'll get paid if he continues to excel the only problem with Adrian has alway been Adrian himself.

- trouble with off the field fights in college
- dropped completely off the charts in the draft cause of senior season and interview with draft scouts.
- has had a lot of trouble with his knees, knee surgery this year too!
- only player I think I've seen Kubiak bench.. just last year!

With all the issues I can see why they just don't want to dump a huge salary on him..

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011   #18
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

So,

Anyone else taking him #1 overall in their league?
Old 08-11-2011   #19
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

He's not a 1 year wonder. He possesses a unique skill set of good top end speed, good strength, tough to bring down, very good acceleration, good lateral movement, terrific balance, terrific vision, great hands, and pretty good at pass pro, etc.

He's a jack of all trades, and master of about half of them.
Old 08-11-2011   #20
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

The comments about "easy to find a rb to perform in this ZBS" are puzzling. Like who in our existence? DDW, Slaton & Foster. Each had one very good year but our RB spot has been a sucking hole for years. Unfortunately for Arian, Ward looked very good and Tate could be as good if not better over all. I am okay if Smith waits to re-sign him or if it happens tomorrow. Foster is real deal.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read