Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-22-2005   #1
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 88794 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Name a better nickel/dime secondary in the NFL

With the addition of Buchanan, we now have a pretty good secondary, especially in nickel and dime situations. Maybe the best in the league.
Can anyone name a team that has a better secondary in nickel and dime sets than the Texans?

Here's the way ours should look(I think...):

nickel package;
Glenn, Robinson, Buchanon, Simmons (SS), Coleman (FS)

Dime Package;
Glenn, Robinson, Buchanon, Faggins, Simmons (SS), Coleman (FS)

I especially think Buchanan's ball hawking and yes, risk taking, is valuable in the dime set when he is free to take chances because he will have help behind him most of the time. He has the potential to make a lot of picks, I think... heck, so do AG, and DRob...
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005   #2
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Minnesota has one that on paper is at least up to par with ours.
Winfield, Smoot, Brian Williams as the CBs.
D. Sharper, Corey Chavous as the safeties. With Willie Offord a starter last year as the primary backup. Plus whichever players they might pick up in the draft.
texasguy346 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005   #3
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Rolle, McAlister, Reed, Primetime, Demps is a start...
WildBlackBear32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005   #4
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

Even though you cannot name half of them, I guess you have to include the Patriots.
Old 04-22-2005   #5
Sarg01
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-minus67
Even though you cannot name half of them, I guess you have to include the Patriots.
Not really, not with everyone identifying CB as the Patriots only real need until the Bruschi situation sprung up.
Sarg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005   #6
Sarg01
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm
With the addition of Buchanan, we now have a pretty good secondary, especially in nickel and dime situations. Maybe the best in the league.
Can anyone name a team that has a better secondary in nickel and dime sets than the Texans?
The Ravens probably have the better overall secondary. I'd put the Texans right after that. Homerish? Perhaps, however one stat I've been harping all off-season: 2004 Texans Pass Rush (as measured by sacks) - dead last, #32 in the NFL. Now we all know that no secondary can look good with no pass rush ... yet we were 5th in the NFL in Interceptions. Imagine what that would look like if we were merely average in pass rush ... or if we had the Ravens' pass rush?

If you're asking if we have the best dimeback in the league, that could well be. Buchanon has the potential to be the best nickle.
Sarg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005   #7
Youngstown Colt
All Pro

Seahawks:

Marcus Trufant, Andre Dyson, Bobby Taylor, Ken Hamlin, Michael Boulware

Just what I came up with
Old 04-22-2005   #8
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngstown Colt
Seahawks:

Marcus Trufant, Andre Dyson, Bobby Taylor, Ken Hamlin, Michael Boulware

Just what I came up with
You may want to remove Taylor's name from there since rumor is he'll be a June 1st cut...
Old 04-22-2005   #9
THEFUTURE
All Pro

Quote:

nickel package;

Dime Package;
Glenn Earl is our starting Strong Safety last time i checked
THEFUTURE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005   #10
THEFUTURE
All Pro

also be careful about the nickel, dunta might play it again this year in nickelback formations and buchanon sit in the #2 CB spot, since it gives Dunta a chance to blitz
THEFUTURE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005   #11
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
also be careful about the nickel, dunta might play it again this year in nickelback formations and buchanon sit in the #2 CB spot, since it gives Dunta a chance to blitz
Man I just had flashbacks to last season, but that is more than likely why we brought in Buchanon IMO, to have a solid #2 CB to put next to Glenn so we can blitz DRob more, he was an animal last season when he blitzed. I hope we see much more of it this season...
Old 04-22-2005   #12
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 88794 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEFUTURE
Glenn Earl is our starting Strong Safety last time i checked
I read a post recently that said simmons would play ss in nickel/dime sets...

not sure if thats the way it will be, but that's what I read...
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005   #13
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 302162 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I read a post recently that said simmons would play ss in nickel/dime sets...

not sure if thats the way it will be, but that's what I read...
Last year Earl would come out and Simmons would go in for many nickel/dime sets. That doesn't mean it will necessarily happen this year. Remember Earl got put in much earlier than the Texans expected him to last year. At this point no one knows who it would be.
Old 04-23-2005   #14
CaptainPatriot
Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainPatriot

Quote:

Here's the way ours should look(I think...):

nickel package;

Dime Package;

I especially think Buchanan's ball hawking and yes, risk taking, is valuable in the dime set when he is free to take chances because he will have help behind him most of the time. He has the potential to make a lot of picks, I think... heck, so do AG, and DRob...

Now if the Texans can have a good draft on the DL. These guys will really shine!
Old 04-23-2005   #15
CaptainPatriot
Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainPatriot

How about the PATS Secondary? They shut down Colt`s Manning in Playoffs. They even used a WR in the nickle! Also Philly`s Secondary?
Old 04-23-2005   #16
Youngstown Colt
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPatriot
How about the PATS Secondary? They shut down Colt`s Manning in Playoffs. They even used a WR in the nickle! Also Philly`s Secondary?
Scheme, not players for the pats.

And he makes a great point about the eagles, Brown, Sheppard, Dawkins, Lewis, Ware, Hood make up a great secondary

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read