Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-09-2011   #1
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 118533 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default John McClain drinking the koolaid

I figure I'd ask the "general" straight-up if he thought the Texans pass defense would dramatically improve during his morning chat....

Quote:
11:49 [Comment From Sador: ]
Do you think the Texans' defense is capable of moving up to middle-of-the-pack on pass defense? (From 32-16)

11:49 John McClain: I will be stunned if they're not among the top 16 against the pass and top 15 or better overall.
So, Mclame expects not just improvement, but a quantum leap forward.

...here's hoping he's right for a change.
Old 08-09-2011   #2
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 61470 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: John McClain drinking the koolaid

Let's hope so...

Dormant bodies bursting!
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011   #3
cdollaz
Veteran

Rep Power: 5456 cdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respected

Everyone expects them to make a big leap, not just McLain.

Mclain bashing is so tired.
cdollaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011   #4
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 281155 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

With our players and Wade's history, I'd certainly be disappointed if we're not in the top half across the board.
Old 08-09-2011   #5
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think it's that unreasonable. Here are the 2010 stats for passing defense. The Texans were last in passing yards per game given up with 267.5. To move to 16th, they would need to give up an average of 50 yards fewer per game. JoJo and Manning ought to do that, or they don't deserve their salary.

Old 08-09-2011   #6
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18070 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdollaz View Post
Everyone expects them to make a big leap, not just McLain.

Mclain bashing is so tired.
No, a pandering media is what's tired.
Old 08-09-2011   #7
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 313912 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I don't think it's that unreasonable. Here are the 2010 stats for passing defense. The Texans were last in passing yards per game given up with 267.5. To move to 16th, they would need to give up an average of 50 yards fewer per game. JoJo and Manning ought to
Great points. I can't say what I really expect from our D right now. The lock-out delayed the implementation of it, so we've got to factor in a learning curve.

I do believe that they will be better than last year from game 1, but to what extent remains to be seen. I don't think this D will hit it's stride until mid-season. I could be pleasantly surprised, but with some fairly significant changes, I'm not going to be upset if it's not instant gratification.

Obviously our secondary has received major improvement upgrades. However, it's our veterans in DeMeco, Cushing, and Mario that I'm really going to be watching for signs of the future. We need at least 2 out of 3 of these guys to really be better than good, and with the history of each player and what is expected of them this season, it will certainly be fun and interesting to see this new D develop.

Even our offense can be 80% as productive as last year and our D move to around 20, we will see more wins. I don't think either of these targets is too much to expect.
Old 08-09-2011   #8
Kimmy 
RealGirls LvFB!

Section: 321
Rep Power: 20599 Kimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Great points. I can't say what I really expect from our D right now. The lock-out delayed the implementation of it, so we've got to factor in a learning curve.
This is what scares me. I do think we WILL be better, but I absolutely do not want to use it as an excuse. (Which I know you weren't) but there are a lot out there that will.
Old 08-09-2011   #9
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I don't think it's that unreasonable. Here are the 2010 stats for passing defense. The Texans were last in passing yards per game given up with 267.5. To move to 16th, they would need to give up an average of 50 yards fewer per game. JoJo and Manning ought to do that, or they don't deserve their salary.

As long as the 50 yards are not supplanted by 50 additional yards per game of rushing, then yes, you would be correct.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011   #10
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmy View Post
This is what scares me. I do think we WILL be better, but I absolutely do not want to use it as an excuse. (Which I know you weren't) but there are a lot out there that will.
True, but the lockout hurt everyone. Unless you are a team like the Steelers who did not make any real changes anywhere on the team, then the lockout hurt you. if you brought in key FAs, the lockout hurt you. If you are changing a scheme or head coach, the lockout hurt you.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011   #11
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 118533 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd LOVE for our Defense to jump up 15 spots, but let's not kid ourselves that the new personnel, new scheme and abbreviated OTA/TC time won't be factors this year.

New Scheme
New LB
New NG
New DE
New CB
New FS
New SS

I agree the changes are for the good, but man, that's a LOT of change!
Old 08-09-2011   #12
Kimmy 
RealGirls LvFB!

Section: 321
Rep Power: 20599 Kimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
True, but the lockout hurt everyone. Unless you are a team like the Steelers who did not make any real changes anywhere on the team, then the lockout hurt you. if you brought in key FAs, the lockout hurt you. If you are changing a scheme or head coach, the lockout hurt you.
I completely agree with you! But if we go out there and are even remotely as bad as we were last year, I want a head (or two) to roll. I hope Mr. McNair doesn't use the scheme/lockout as an excuse.

I was actually thinking about that very scenario this off season. Like how we could get stuck with mediocracy again for these two reasons.

I'm sure my spirit will be back soon, but right now, I'm still a little "scorned" LOL And you know what they say about hell having no fury ....
Old 08-09-2011   #13
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
I'd LOVE for our Defense to jump up 15 spots, but let's not kid ourselves that the new personnel, new scheme and abbreviated OTA/TC time won't be factors this year.

New Scheme
New LB
New NG
New DE
New CB
New FS
New SS

I am hoping for some of the vets a position change will be like moving from short stop to 3rd base, if you have the skills, it can be done.
Old 08-09-2011   #14
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Let's be clear: John McClain isn't drinking the KoolAid----he's making it.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011   #15
markn
All Pro

Rep Power: 26739 markn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post

New Scheme
New LB
New NG
New DE
New CB
New FS
New SS

It's not just a lot of change, it's also got to be implemented in an incredibly short time-frame.

I'm excited and positive about the draft and free-agency this summer, but I'm nervous about the level of expectation. For us to make the playoffs we either have to win the division which means beating out a qb who can dissect the most accomplished of defenses (as opposed to one thrown together in six weeks), or beat out one of the perennial powerhouses from the AFC north and east. It's far from impossible, but given the truncated pre-season, I wonder how realistic some posters and commentators are being.

Sorry to spoil the fun :-)
markn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011   #16
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I reckon McGobbler has been drinking gravy more than anything else.
Old 08-09-2011   #17
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 313912 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmy View Post
The only person that I am concerned with using the lock-out as an excuse for the season is the one who signs the paychecks. We all know McNair is a softie for Kubiak, and I would not doubt that it extends to Wade, as well.

I love our owner for a lot of reasons, but his patience is not one of those reasons. (Not a criticism of him, but rather a fundamental disagreement that I will never win, of course.)
Old 08-09-2011   #18
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I do believe that they will be better than last year from game 1...
I think week 1 is going to present us with fools gold.

If Manning doesn't get into his groove that is. If they don't get that running game going, or that defense..... we may have seen the last 10+ win season from the Colts for a while.

& they just paid him so much money.
Old 08-09-2011   #19
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I think by the time pre season is over those who make the team should have a pretty good grip of what to do. mistakes will be made, but I think most will know what to do b

Theyve had the play book for a while, the had access to game film of other wade Phillips coached d's. They could talk to other players. And even if they didn't do any of that they are doing nothing but learning and earning for these next few weeks until the real games start.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011   #20
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

wish I knew some photoshop magic LOL
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read