Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2005   #1
Holden135
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Age: 32
Posts: 249
Rep Power: 10 Holden135 is a team player
Question If we did draft Benson

I keep seeing different mock drafts having Cedrick Benson droping to the Texans. I am not a big fan of picking him up but if we did what do you guys think the chances are of D. Davis getting traded, possibly packaged to get back into round 1.
Holden135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005   #2
Vinny
shiny happy fan
 
Vinny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Age: 50
Posts: 21,847
Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

zero. If we draft Benson we still need Davis.
__________________
http://twitter.com/#!/TexansTalk


"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005   #3
canadiantexan
Veteran
 
canadiantexan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: St.George, Ontario
Age: 34
Posts: 300
Rep Power: 10 canadiantexan is ridin' the pine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
zero. If we draft Benson we still need Davis.
Yeah at least for a year so we could see what Benson really has. If Benson lights it up then we could let someone sign DD and get compensation or we could try to deal him and get extra picks then get a change of pace back to complement Benson but if Benson is really no more of a player than DD we keep them both and have a great 1-2 punch.
canadiantexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005   #4
TEXANS84
Moderator
 
TEXANS84's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Age: 37
Posts: 7,479
Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
zero. If we draft Benson we still need Davis.
Correct.

Davis is on a contract year, so for insurance purposes I would assume that Casserly will be taking a back somewhere in the draft. And if Benson would fall to us at 13...I would highly doubt that he would pass him up.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005   #5
CaptainPatriot
Veteran
 
CaptainPatriot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Age: 55
Posts: 307
Rep Power: 0 CaptainPatriot is ridin' the pine
Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainPatriot
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden135
I keep seeing different mock drafts having Cedrick Benson droping to the Texans. I am not a big fan of picking him up but if we did what do you guys think the chances are of D. Davis getting traded, possibly packaged to get back into round 1.
Rule of thumb never take RB in 1st round! Life in the NFL for RB`s is 5 yrs. Just look at Texans all the RB`s are hurt at 1 time or another. 1st back taken in 1st round last yr.Jackson of Rams he was hurt off and on all yr. To much money to pay out for a RB that will get hurt from time to time. Dallas did it right drop down and get a back in later rounds. Now they have 2 1st rounds this yr.
__________________
PATS are Reloading! ;-)
CaptainPatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005   #6
Hervoyel
The Right Track
 
Hervoyel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Age: 49
Posts: 15,083
Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPatriot
Rule of thumb never take RB in 1st round! Life in the NFL for RB`s is 5 yrs. Just look at Texans all the RB`s are hurt at 1 time or another. 1st back taken in 1st round last yr.Jackson of Rams he was hurt off and on all yr. To much money to pay out for a RB that will get hurt from time to time. Dallas did it right drop down and get a back in later rounds. Now they have 2 1st rounds this yr.
I think that's wrong CaptainPatriot. What you fail to take into account is where your team is in the building process. RB should be one of the last pieces you add because of the short lifespan that you mentioned but in a way it's very similar to adding that one high-priced free agent when you think you're "one player away" (I hate that cliche but, well there it is).

You draft Earl Campbell in the first. You draft Walter Payton in the first. You draft Emmitt Smith in the first. You draft Barry Sanders in the first. Sure you can get a good back later on and you can do it very often. You can't get one of these in the later rounds though.
__________________
Fitz makes bad decisions. That's not going to change.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005   #7
CaptainPatriot
Veteran
 
CaptainPatriot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Age: 55
Posts: 307
Rep Power: 0 CaptainPatriot is ridin' the pine
Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainPatriot
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
I think that's wrong CaptainPatriot. What you fail to take into account is where your team is in the building process. RB should be one of the last pieces you add because of the short lifespan that you mentioned but in a way it's very similar to adding that one high-priced free agent when you think you're "one player away" (I hate that cliche but, well there it is).

You draft Earl Campbell in the first. You draft Walter Payton in the first. You draft Emmitt Smith in the first. You draft Barry Sanders in the first. Sure you can get a good back later on and you can do it very often. You can't get one of these in the later rounds though.

But remember you now have salary cap. Can`t afford to have a high priced back
Won`t have a good backup or hurt the D side. Just look at the Colts. High priced O no D. Also Emmitt(by the way he had the best O-Line in the history of the NFL) and Peyton had a defense in order for them to win super bowls. No team wins super bowls by super star running back alone. EX: OJ Simpson, Earl Campbell,Barry Sanders and Eric Dickerson. But Defensive Teams have won with out great running backs. EX: Tampa Bay, PATS Also if you built up your O-Line you don`t need a great back. To bad Barry didn`t play for Dallas and Emmitt for Lions thats story for another time
__________________
PATS are Reloading! ;-)
CaptainPatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger