Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-11-2011   #61
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 717 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20
Default Re: Stat comparison: JJ and DA...a definitive analysis???

um, of course JJ is better than DA. DA is just more a reliable WR, and usually only play when there's a 4-5 WR Set, while JJ plays slot/#2 is a big risk big reward type of player and very explosive. I don't think you can compare the two. Two completely different WR's.

IF we did cut JJ, we could've gotten a better player in Braylon Edwards.

and this site is better than the site you guys are using

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog...op-percentage/

Drop Percentage for all receivers who had at least 50 catchable balls thrown their way (catchable balls determined by just adding together the number of receptions and drops).

Andre was #15 for the least drop percentage while JJ was #43, which is top 15 for the most drop percentage.
Old 08-11-2011   #62
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post

2. I stand by the FACT that just because they're called Wide Recievers doesn't mean they are asked to do the same thing. Nobody is saying Anderson is better than Jacoby. But the two play vastly different positions even though they're both dubbed "WR". It's like saying LB. The weakside, middle and strongside linebacker positions are all asked to do different things on the field just as the Split End, Flanker and Slot receivers are with the WR grouping. Anderson's skillset is best suited for staying closer to the L.O.S. and that's how he was used, he wasn't asked to go downfield, that's what Jacoby is better. Just by virtue of their "sub-position" within the WR group, Jacoby is more likely to have a higher Yards Per Catch average than Anderson. DA's position is a highly valuable one and can be a QBs best friend. I'm not saying DA is irreplaceable, I think the position is.... and I have really high hopes for Jeff Maehl. I really hope he has a good camps and gets a shot this year.
With this in mind, If Anderson is in the slot & Andre motions inside.... if I'm a defense, this is easy to adjust to. Big slow LB/Safety, stay with the little guy... CB stay up top & cover the deep route.

If it's JJ in the slot & Andre motions inside.... now we got trouble.

Just imagine that Jacoby turns into Andre's Reggie Wayne & Maehl alternates with KDub in the slot. To me, that should be where we are heading, that is dangerous....

& it doesn't matter to me if Maehl takes the #2WR role & Jacoby spends the rest of his career alternating in & out of the slot.

If we get two bad-asses on the outside & mix & match the third & 4th receiver we'll be unstoppable.
Old 08-11-2011   #63
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
With this in mind, If Anderson is in the slot & Andre motions inside.... if I'm a defense, this is easy to adjust to. Big slow LB/Safety, stay with the little guy... CB stay up top & cover the deep route.

If it's JJ in the slot & Andre motions inside.... now we got trouble.

Just imagine that Jacoby turns into Andre's Reggie Wayne & Maehl alternates with KDub in the slot. To me, that should be where we are heading, that is dangerous....

& it doesn't matter to me if Maehl takes the #2WR role & Jacoby spends the rest of his career alternating in & out of the slot.

If we get two bad-asses on the outside & mix & match the third & 4th receiver we'll be unstoppable.
First off, I really do like Jacoby and hope this is the year he takes that giant leap to being a professional. He's frustrated me for so long but he's so dangerous (in a good way) and is very valuable to this team.

Now, I'm really glad you brought up what you did. I also liked Anderson a lot, but know he wasn't really a big threat to take it to the house. Maehl on the other hand is. I was a big fan of even drafting him this year and surprised he didn't get drafted. I think he can easily replace DA in his specific role but like you said, he's much more of a deep threat than DA. I love this pick up, he can take a 5 yard slant and turn it into a 50 yard TD or he can go deep and catch a bomb. Jacoby, Walter, Maehl can create the mismatches you mentioned where DA really couldn't be as effective in that regard.

I love our WR grouping right now with AJ, JJ, KW + the young guys of Dickerson, Maehl, Toliver, etc. Daniels will get as many receptions as most receivers too. We were already a good passing team, I think we just got even better this offseason.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011   #64
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I love this pick up, he can take a 5 yard slant and turn it into a 50 yard TD or he can go deep and catch a bomb.
Did you forget our QB is the kind of the 30-40 yard comeback?

Heh...just wanted to give you a little good-natured ribbing there.
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011   #65
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCD View Post
Did you forget our QB is the kind of the 30-40 yard comeback?

Heh...just wanted to give you a little good-natured ribbing there.
Holy crap, I'd love it if Schaub hit 30-40 yard comebacks all the time. I'd take it.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read