Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-08-2011   #41
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 39889 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Stat comparison: JJ and DA...a definitive analysis???

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
I wonder who that was.
David Anderson!

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011   #42
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by _superMario90_ View Post
Reliable-Schmiable...

JJ didn't make THIS list.. but look at some of the names on it.... They ALL SUCK and are unreliable.. everyone on it should be replaced by David Anderson!!

http://scores.nbcsports.msnbc.com/fb...rank=232&year=

I understand.. The guys on this list get close to 100 looks per year, but even so, JJ didn't make it, so can we stop making his drop issue out to be "Chronic"?

You can't make an omelet if you don't break a few eggs.

I'll wager that if you gave JJ enough passes to make this list, you'd see him in the pro bowl.

PS - GP, I'm with you on KW ;-)
Some drops are worse than others though. Like remember when AJ dropped a catch against the Chargers and kicked it up for an INT? Or when Steve Johnson dropped an easy catch that would have been a game winning TD against the Steelers? I can recall both of those pretty well, but I can't recall any game changing Jacoby drops aside from a muff punt here or there.
Old 08-08-2011   #43
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 353155 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

David Anderson's Drop Stats: 18 Targets, 0 drops, 61% caught, 27.8% first down.

But I don't know who determines drops vs. incompletions. I thought I saw more than 4 drops by JJ last season. I remember drops against the Colts (in the end zone) and Jaguars and I'm pretty sure he had drops against the Redskins and Raiders. And that's just what I remember.

Personally, I don't compare JJ and DA. They play different positions and have different responsibilities and expectations.

I wanted them both gone. I thought they were both eminently replaceable. They chose to replace DA and not JJ and for the continuity of the offense, I'm OK with that. But I'm hoping the UDFA's we got, who are good, or DD can take JJ's spot.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011   #44
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I liked what da brought to the offense. But he was replaceable.

And he was not funny to me.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011   #45
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 19086 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seņor Stan View Post
just over a 5% drop rate on JJ

Additional Comparisons -
http://scores.nbcsports.msnbc.com/fb...d=6339&team=34
7 drops on 138 for Andre - just over a 5% drop rate

http://scores.nbcsports.msnbc.com/fb...d=7027&team=17
13 drops on 123 for Wes Welker - just over a 10% drop rate

http://scores.nbcsports.msnbc.com/fb...id=8000&team=7
0 drops on 18 for David Anderson - WOW - he's perfect!!!

So for sure, David is RELIABLE... but let's not get carried away with Jacoby's drops being problematic.. Unless you want to lump Andre and Welker into the same category of having problems with it as well.

As it's been mentioned.. statistics are not the basis for all. The two play different roles. I agree. I can subscribe to the logic that David is more of a "possesion" target and as the evidence shows, when targeted, he's making the catch. But for all those dissin on JJ, can we dispell the notion that Jacoby's dropped passes are a big detraction from his game? That dog don't hunt. Find another reason to hate the player.
I still don't get the need, but to anyone's credit.. it's your priveledge as a fan.

In respect to the DA supporters though, I will concede this... By going the JJ route and dropping DA, in RELIABILITY alone, we do lose an element there, where as JJ, if it were reverse and he was let go, there are others that could potentially step in and "strech" the field, so at best, we've eliminated a security blanket that we now don't have the option of targeting 18 times this season.

When I think back to the Rams a decade ago, Isaac Bruce; Torry Holt; Az Hakim...
I look to our team and feel they have potential to be better in comparison.. Andre is another level above them all; Kevin Walter; JJ or DA? I gotta go with JJ. DA can't fit the "Greatest Show" as he's just not that "showwy" with his 18 grabs. Mix in a Tolliver or Dickerson. Oh(BIG O), factor Owen... SCARY good recievers we have. I'd stack them up against the Rams corp any day. We got immense depth. Pretty nice.
Old 08-08-2011   #46
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Some drops are worse than others though. Like remember when AJ dropped a catch against the Chargers and kicked it up for an INT? Or when Steve Johnson dropped an easy catch that would have been a game winning TD against the Steelers? I can recall both of those pretty well, but I can't recall any game changing Jacoby drops aside from a muff punt here or there.
Jacoby goofed up a catch near the opponent's end zone in the Dallas game, IIRC, and it got picked off. I think it was the Cowboys game. It was a pretty bad "Doh!" moment. So close to being a great reception, but he deflected it right into the hands of the defender. I even think it got returned for a TD.

Then he turns around in other games and makes huge grabs that you think no human could make. He had one CRAZY TD reception in an away game last year where he slashed over the middle and straight up blazed across the goal line and leapt into the air and made a circus catch for a TD. Oakland game maybe? It was stoopid sick.
Old 08-08-2011   #47
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 40481 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

I'm sorry but wasn't JJ more then often lined up outside while DA mostly played the slot position? I wouldn't think you could compare stats if that's mostly the case, as the slot receiver is nowhere near as likely to run the longer and deeper routes.

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-08-2011   #48
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 402769 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Jacoby goofed up a catch near the opponent's end zone in the Dallas game, IIRC, and it got picked off. I think it was the Cowboys game. It was a pretty bad "Doh!" moment. So close to being a great reception, but he deflected it right into the hands of the defender. I even think it got returned for a TD.

Then he turns around in other games and makes huge grabs that you think no human could make. He had one CRAZY TD reception in an away game last year where he slashed over the middle and straight up blazed across the goal line and leapt into the air and made a circus catch for a TD. Oakland game maybe? It was stoopid sick.
I like the positives that JJ can bring to a game, but it's his inconsistencies and what appears (to me) his showboating-first attitude that cause me to not put him on a pedestal.

There is no doubt that he can be an explosive player, but he needs to be more consistent to be the reliable receiver that Schaub needs. He always seems to be thinking about his next move before he has secured his current move, and that always makes me nervous when he's in on a play.

I'm not hatin' on the guy. He's a Texan and I'm a fan, so he's our guy. But, that being said, he's not above analysis and criticism of his game.
Old 08-08-2011   #49
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

One thing I noticed is that he makes catches when he's in stride and in constant fluid motion as the pass nears him.

If he stops moving his legs, he bobbles it. On punts, the same thing: He catches them when he's moving toward it...but bobbles it if he's standing still.

There is something about the movement in his legs being connected to him handling the reception. Watch this season and see what I mean. It's the weirdest thing.

It's as if he has to be moving FAST in order to complete the process 100%. Slow things down, and he freaks out and can't finish it.
Old 08-08-2011   #50
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think part of what gets Jacoby on the badside of this fanbase is that on any given play it could be a Touchdown or a Fumble. He epitomizes the phrase "high risk, high reward". It's not just his dropped passes, but his muffed punts. Every time the ball goes to him you can literally hear the entire city of Houston collectively holding their breath.

7 fumbles on punt returns.
2 fumbles on after receptions.

4 Dropped Passes last year, but how many in the years before?

It seems like Jacoby has developed over the years as a receiver, but it's hard for us to get the past out of our head. I'm really hoping this is the year it all comes together and he has a huge breakout year. Dre, Jacoby, OD and Foster?? We've got some real lethal weapons!
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011   #51
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

ppl have been making best of/worst of JJ lists but i dont think anyone has mentioned his best grab or worst drop imo:

best catch: td grab v the pats, wk 17 09. just a sick catch when he was kinda double covered & he still somehow managed to get his feet down

worst drop: cant believe nobody mentioned it but the drop on MNF in the 1st half v the ravens last yr. 3rd down- he was wide open, schaub throws it right to him. nobody around and he somehow drops it. had to kick a fg instead. that 4 pts wouldve come in handy in the 4th q. think ppl kinda forget it cos he made some good plays in that game (4th down td & 2 pt) but imo it was his worst drop as a player
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011   #52
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

I think Jacoby just needs to concentrate on catching football first and then turning it up field for the huge gain. Think ball first and then make a b line for the end zone.
Old 08-10-2011   #53
c10x
Veteran

Rep Power: 360 c10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Jacoby Jones / Drops

Here. I started a thread for you guys.

Can we please leave the Training Camp Updates thread for actual training camp updates now?

Thanks.
Old 08-10-2011   #54
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jacoby Jones / Drops

Quote:
Originally Posted by c10x View Post

Can we please leave the Training Camp Updates thread for actual training camp updates now?

Thanks.
GP already started this thread about Jacoby:

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83818

but that conversation keeps bleeding into the training camp thread.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011   #55
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Jacoby drops passes.
Kareem falls down.
McNair is cheap.
Gary sucks.
Schaub has a noodle arm.
Wade is 'nice'.
Cushing likes juice.
Mario can't pass rush.
Rick is terrible.
Myers is a rag doll.
Walter and Watt apparently have an s on the end of their name.

Did I miss anything? And why the heck am I still a Texans fan?

Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011   #56
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Jacoby drops passes.
Kareem falls down.
McNair is cheap.
Gary sucks.
Schaub has a noodle arm.
Wade is 'nice'.
Cushing likes juice.
Mario can't pass rush.
Rick is terrible.
Myers is a rag doll.

LOL! That's a great list. Nicely done.

If people would attack the JJ Drops Passes schtick like they hammer the McNair Is Cheap schtick, I'd be pleased.

Lots of stereotypes in that list. I like it.
Old 08-10-2011   #57
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by c10x View Post

Thanks.
It's connected. If he's "dropping passes" at this year's training camp, and it gets mentioned in the training camp thread...then expect somebody somewhere to come in and mention that JJ isn't the only guy dropping passes at camp.

Scroll bar is your friend. Just zip past it and find what you want. Do you go complain to the other 48 people in your twitter feed that are clogging up your NFL tweets right now? "Could you please stop? I'm just focusing on football stuff right now. Thanks!" Just skip it. Freedom of choice and all that jazz.

Man, we need some actual football to get started. Everybody's on edge.
Old 08-10-2011   #58
Kimmy 
RealGirls LvFB!

Section: 321
Rep Power: 20600 Kimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Jacoby drops passes.
Kareem falls down.
McNair is cheap.
Gary sucks.
Schaub has a noodle arm.
Wade is 'nice'.
Cushing likes juice.
Mario can't pass rush.
Rick is terrible.
Myers is a rag doll.

Must spread rep!
Old 08-10-2011   #59
Kimmy 
RealGirls LvFB!

Section: 321
Rep Power: 20600 Kimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
It's connected. If he's "dropping passes" at this year's training camp, and it gets mentioned in the training camp thread...then expect somebody somewhere to come in and mention that JJ isn't the only guy dropping passes at camp.

Scroll bar is your friend. Just zip past it and find what you want. Do you go complain to the other 48 people in your twitter feed that are clogging up your NFL tweets right now? "Could you please stop? I'm just focusing on football stuff right now. Thanks!" Just skip it. Freedom of choice and all that jazz.

Man, we need some actual football to get started. Everybody's on edge.

I laughed at the whole part - but the bolded part might make a lot of people JUMP once the games start
Old 08-11-2011   #60
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Jacoby drops passes.
Kareem falls down.
McNair is cheap.
Gary sucks.
Schaub has a noodle arm.
Wade is 'nice'.
Cushing likes juice.
Mario can't pass rush.
Rick is terrible.
Myers is a rag doll.

here's a couple more...

This team lacks killer instincts/is soft
The national media hates us
The Houston fanbase is content with mediocrity
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read