Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-22-2005   #1
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Chiefs & Dolphins finally trade Surtain

I'll put this here because it is really of more interest for how it affects the draft.

Quote:
FOXSports.com has learned that the Chiefs and Dolphins have agreed to a trade for the Pro Bowl cornerback that includes the Chiefs sending Miami their second-round pick as well as the two teams swapping fifth-round selections. In addition, the Chiefs have agreed to terms on a new seven-year deal for Surtain.
So the interesting question now for the draft is, since the Dolphins have the price (a 2nd rounder) for Edge or Alexander and the cap room having cleared $8.4 mil off for Surtain will they make a trade for Edge or Alexander and take Edwards or someone else in the draft?

Link
Old 04-22-2005   #2
royce1054
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to royce1054 Send a message via Yahoo to royce1054

Lets do say they trade their #2 for Edge or Alexander.

the #2 pick could be any of alot of things. QB (rodgers or Smith), WR (edwards), they might still trade down and add some more picks.

I think however the Dolphins acquiring the #2 means a trade down is a little bit less unlikely. Tampa might still be able to lure them but its kinda iffy in my eyes.

by #2 i mean 2nd round
royce1054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005   #3
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

If they do trade down with the Bucs, they can still get one of the big three and still get a good player with what ever pick/picks they get from the Bucs.
Old 04-22-2005   #4
royce1054
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-minus67
If they do trade down with the Bucs, they can still get one of the big three and still get a good player with what ever pick/picks they get from the Bucs.
But what if they get Edge or Alexander they dont need Brown anymore
Old 04-22-2005   #5
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Assume they get Edge or Alexander and the 49ers draft Smith. Do you go with Aaron Rodgers or Braylon Edwards? I personally think Edwards. You could team him with Chambers and have Marty Booker as your #3 slot receiver (which he is well suited for).

I guess I am not that sold on Rodgers. Why not see if Feeley can do something with a running game and some weapons (Edwards, Chambers, Edge, and McMichael) instead. If he flops, you can get your QB in 2006 and surround him with a ton of weapons.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005   #6
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30855 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

If they can take the money they get form Surtain, they might use the 2nd to get Edge and then us the #2 pick on Edwards.

If you're hoping for a runner to fall to us, this is probaly what you want the Fins to do.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005   #7
cadahnic
All Pro

To be honest I doubt the Colts will give up Edge for a second round pick. They will have the money to sign him next year, and Peyton has already stated that he will give up some of his contract to keep him. Look for the Phins, if they trade, to go with the seahawks who feel they are close to making something happen in the NFC and want to get rid of my cousin. He would love the scenery(females), weather and money, but the Phins line is not very good.
cadahnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-22-2005   #8
royce1054
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadahnic
To be honest I doubt the Colts will give up Edge for a second round pick. They will have the money to sign him next year, and Peyton has already stated that he will give up some of his contract to keep him. Look for the Phins, if they trade, to go with the seahawks who feel they are close to making something happen in the NFC and want to get rid of my cousin. He would love the scenery(females), weather and money, but the Phins line is not very good.
They could trade for Alexander then trade the #2 overall pick to say Tampa or Washington and then take Barron that should improve their line. Just a little what if.. Doubt it would happen but u know
Old 04-22-2005   #9
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadahnic
To be honest I doubt the Colts will give up Edge for a second round pick.
It has been widely reported both the Seahawks and Colts would take a 2nd to trade their franchised RB's.
Old 04-22-2005   #10
DRIFTAWAY
All Pro

Miami should send that 2nd away for Shaun Alexander, than take Braylon Edwards at #2. Maybe even than trade Marty Booker, and a 4th and even 5th round pick to get back into the 2nd than draft Jason Campbell or Charlie Frye. A replacement for Booker can be drafted in later rounds. ( Draft is WR friendly.)

So the Fins would have Alexander at RB,Chambers and Edwards at WR, Feeley at QB with Campbell/Frye being groomed behind him.
Most Improved- Juwan Howard
DRIFTAWAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005   #11
Xman
Veteran

an Edwards/Chambers/Alexander combo would make any qb look decent - and would make a decent qb look good (too bad fiedler sucks)
Xman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005   #12
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
I guess I am not that sold on Rodgers. Why not see if Feeley can do something with a running game and some weapons (Edwards, Chambers, Edge, and McMichael) instead. If he flops, you can get your QB in 2006 and surround him with a ton of weapons.
I'm with you on that one. I think they could still get a good young QB in the 2nd or 3rd.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005   #13
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

In another article from ESPN on the subject, the issue is raised about the consideration we payed for Buchanan vs. what the Chiefs paid for Surtain.
We gave up an additional third round pick but our guy is 4 years younger
than the corner the Chiefs got. But thier corner is better that our at this point in time. Then there is the cap and cash lay out factors for the 2
respective players. Dont't know if us or the Chiefs got the best deal ?
"Only two days ago, Peterson acknowledged that time was running out for the possibility of the trade. Dolphins coach Nick Saban countered by noting that Miami would simply retain Surtain for this season rather than deal him for less-than-market value. The trade earlier this week of Raiders cornerback Phillip Buchanon, in which Houston sent second- and third-round picks to Oakland, helped validate Saban's asking price.
Buchanon is younger than Surtain but hardly as accomplished."
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...len&id=2043410
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read