Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Secondary options you prefer.
Manning and Quinn at Safety/ Joseph and Allen at CB 44 49.44%
Manning and Quinn at Safety/ Joseph and Jackson at CB 28 31.46%
Nolan and Manning at Safety/ Joseph and Quinn at CB 11 12.36%
Manning and Quinn at safety/ Joseph and "rookie" at CB 6 6.74%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-04-2011   #1
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 126475 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Is moving Quinn To Safety smart ?

I have been thinking. Troy Nolan played pretty well for us at safety last season, now that we also have manning wouldnt it seem to make more sense to leave Quinn at CB along with Joseph and have Nolan and Manning at Safety.

I like J. Allen and think he will be our #2 CB but i hear a lot of negativity from poster on here about him. And i just dont think K. Jac is ready/has what it takes. So was curious if moving him to safety since he has been our best CB since D-Rob left is a smart move ?
EllisUnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011   #2
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Is moving Quinn To Safety smart ?

I think it is the correct move. He is a good #2 Cb but I think he will be even better as a safety in this defense. He will make whoever is #2 CB better. As Manning is better, I would not be surprised to see Quin behind Joseph and Manning behind #2 corner.
Old 08-04-2011   #3
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
I have been thinking. Troy Nolan played pretty well for us at safety last season, now that we also have manning wouldnt it seem to make more sense to leave Quinn at CB along with Joseph and have Nolan and Manning at Safety.

I like J. Allen and think he will be our #2 CB but i hear a lot of negativity from poster on here about him. And i just dont think is ready/has what it takes. So was curious if moving him to safety since he has been our best CB since D-Rob left is a smart move ?
When he came out, a lot of people (including Lance Z) assumed they'd be moving him to safety because they thought that would be his natural position.

I don't think that Troy Nolan played "pretty well" for us last year. I think he actually played pretty poorly. And that was tough for me to say because I had high hopes for Nolan and when Eugene Wilson got injured, my reaction was that it would be good because it would give Nolan his chance to get on the field in a game situation and show what he can do. (He's more of a gamer than a practice player.) But he didn't step up. He's a big reason our secondary was so bad last year.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011   #4
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Rep Power: 126475 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
When he came out, a lot of people (including Lance Z) assumed they'd be moving him to safety because they thought that would be his natural position.

I don't think that Troy Nolan played "pretty well" for us last year. I think he actually played pretty poorly. And that was tough for me to say because I had high hopes for Nolan and when Eugene Wilson got injured, my reaction was that it would be good because it would give Nolan his chance to get on the field in a game situation and show what he can do. (He's more of a gamer than a practice player.) But he didn't step up. He's a big reason our secondary was so bad last year.
hmmm from what i saw last season he played pretty well. i think all the skill is there, the speed, toughness, the want to. He has descent coverage skills imo.
Old 08-04-2011   #5
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 90089 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Agree. Troy Nolan was not any better as a safety than the crap we trotted out there most games. Having my druthers, you are looking at Quinn and Manning at safety with Joseph and the best of the rest at CB.
Old 08-04-2011   #6
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Is moving Quin To Safety smart ?

Not if Kareem Jackson keeps falling down ..... and giving up big plays to practice squad guy's.

I'd almost prefer to see Quin line up as the second corner but with K Jax being first round pick , he's gonna be given a whole lot more opportunity than he deserves to start.

And then .... is Nolan the best guy for the job should Quin stay at CB ? If he couldnt beat out Pollard and Wilson last season .... that doesnt speak well for him starting this season.

BTW its Quin with One N.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011   #7
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

yeah i need to become a sports writer with all my knowledge of how players names are spelled.

It appeared to me last season that Nolan had beaten out wilson, i think they were still rotating them quite a bit cause we sucked in all phases but i saw him get a lot more playing time as the season went on.
Sponsored links
Old 08-04-2011   #8
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
hmmm from what i saw last season he played pretty well. i think all the skill is there, the speed, toughness, the want to. He has descent coverage skills imo.
No one in the Texans secondary played "Pretty Well" last season ..... every last one of them sucked more than a $20 whore....

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 08-04-2011   #9
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
No one in the Texans secondary played "Pretty Well" last season ..... every last one of them sucked more than a $20 whore....
i work in the oilfield 20$ can get ya some aight stuff
Old 08-04-2011   #10
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
i work in the oilfield 20$ can get ya some aight stuff
5 minutes later she's done with you and on to the next one .....

As for Nolan getting more PT , sure he did. Because they had no one else to throw back there .... when Wilson went down.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 08-04-2011   #11
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:
5 minutes later she's done with you and on to the next one .....

As for Nolan getting more PT , sure he did. Because they had no one else to throw back there .... when Wilson went down.
dont give me to much credit
Old 08-04-2011   #12
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I think it is the correct move. He is a good #2 Cb but I think he will be even better as a safety in this defense. He will make whoever is #2 CB better. As Manning is better, I would not be surprised to see Quin behind Joseph and Manning behind #2 corner.
Ditto, that's my thinking as well.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011   #13
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 90089 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It appeared to me last season that Nolan had beaten out wilson, i think they were still rotating them quite a bit cause we sucked in all phases but i saw him get a lot more playing time as the season went on.
He got more playing time and he really did not much to show that he was any better than the washed up zombie of eugene wilson unfortunately. I was really excited by what Nolan did in one game (I forget which game it was, but it seemed like it was earlier in the season), and the more he played the more he was exploited.
Old 08-04-2011   #14
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not if Kareem Jackson keeps falling down ..... and giving up big plays to practice squad guy's.

I'd almost prefer to see Quin line up as the second corner but with K Jax being first round pick , he's gonna be given a whole lot more opportunity than he deserves to start.

And then .... is Nolan the best guy for the job should Quin stay at CB ? If he couldnt beat out Pollard and Wilson last season .... that doesnt speak well for him starting this season.

BTW its Quin with One N.
Nolan started taking time away from the starting safeties last season. He played a little as strong and a little free. Even when Wilson was healthy enough to play, Nolan still took a lot of his snaps.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011   #15
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 24956 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

quinn to safety good idea. jackson starting week one, bad idea. jackson has to be rebuilt from the ground up
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011   #16
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Nolan started taking time away from the starting safeties last season. He played a little as strong and a little free. Even when Wilson was healthy enough to play, Nolan still took a lot of his snaps.
thats what i was thinking
Old 08-04-2011   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
That said more about Pollard & Wilson than Nolan.

Nolan looked good in the preseason, against 2s & 3s.

When he got out there with the real deal, he looked like Wilson & Pollard.
Old 08-04-2011   #18
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

Actually he had a good game against the raiders. I thought that for essentially being a rookie he did an ok job. He wasn't a world beater, but he did ok.

And for the record I don't think our safeties were as bad as they were made out to be. Wilson had been ok in the years he was here before the past one, and Bernard was an impact player in his first year here.

I think that last years defense was just Clusterfu&@. Kareem Jackson isn't the only player who was affected by poor coaching.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011   #19
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Troy Nolan did not play well for the Texans last year. Any situation in which he is starting for us is not good. He is a liability plain and simple.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011   #20
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
quinn to safety good idea. jackson starting week one, bad idea. jackson has to be rebuilt from the ground up
^^This^^

Yesterday Jacskon gets beaten on a double move by an UDFA , today beaten by a practice squad guy .... This isnt good news.

I just wonder who would get the nod at CB2 if its not Jackson .... is it Allen ? or one of the rookies ?!

I get the feling that Jackson will get the starting nod unless one of those others really shows well and he flat out fails. Someone is gonna have to take that job from him convincingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

Yep .... It didn tmatter who they had back there , they all looked the same to me accept the name and number on the jersey.

I Miss Good Schaub.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read